What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orchid growers

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Hi...Im reading about Orchids and becoming quite interested.
I like a challenge,so this maybe a good one to try next..

Are they fun to grow?
Any one here have a nice collection they've grown.
Im planing a family visit to the summer fairs this year.
Got any pics pls do share...Thank u

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I know nothing about it but i need to learn.
I gave one to the missus on here birthday and the pretty thing don´t stop flowering since late March, bless her.
It´s called a Moth Orchid and it´s one of the most common and easy to grow.
picture.php

They're great to grow! Been growing them for nearly 30 years now. You will find the plants, particularly the sympodial types, very rugged & forgiving. There's also a wealth of free info on the u-toobie on how to raise them.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Much rep guys ^^^
I've had a good read up now and a peek on youtube too..
i will be purchasing some orchid speices soon.just need to make some space for em.

Alrighty then. I've decided my next purchases in the horticultural arena will be a high-low thermometer and a light meter. Plants to follow...

UPDATE: I scored two very beautiful phalaenopsis plants, jammed 'em into my back pack, and got them home. They were doing great for a couple of days, but now I'm seeing some problems. I suspect I've been giving them to much light.

if you're leaves turning black in some areas, you're giving them too much light..phalaenopsis orchids are pretty simple to grow.. a LITTLE light, water every 2 weeks or so and they'll be great companions for years to come. Pick up some miracle grow orchid food and follow the directions. I find that the food jump starts the plant to bloom or re-bloom and send up new spikes

unspoken

I grew tons of orchids at the shop I worked at. Basically we had them in a moss/bark mixture. Pretty low light levels like a t12 would work and orchid specific food for the blooms.

Herbalist...that's a neat little garden you've got there.

I have about 30 orchids and just took a break from working on assembling my orchid greenhouse. There are a lot of forums about orchids, and thousands of books on them. I've just learned about growing them semi hydro in hydroton. I've got one that I just transplanted into and it seems to be doing well so far. Have fun.

Paulo that's also called a Phalenopsis BTW.

Whipit

Cattleya love sun. Put your phals in indirect light. Get some Cattleya for your sunny spots. When my uncle passed away, I kept everything that was still alive. Just let them dry out between watering and give them food twice per year. It's easier than growing a weed!:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 19

Terroir

I got orchids.

2 many 2 count. Not really into latin names. Prefer hard cane to soft. Lots of orchids have been inherited and passed down over generations. My great grandmothers family were dairy farmers, loggers , cane farmers from Tweed / Mullumbimby reigon of NSW. When they get 2 big i split them and give them away. Australian natives, madagascan, japanese, burmese, and many other corners of the globe plus hybrids of the same. Around 8 years or go i counted 400 or so. Unfortunately i just saw this thread abit 2 late. September/ october is a peak bloom time at mine. All the flowers that you can see are well on the way out and many many gone in the last 2 weeks.

Very lucky to live in a climate that allows me to have orchids in flower year round. I just tie them to trees, put them in hanging baskets and pots and spray with the hose whenever and fertilise once a year or so. Some are finiky and dont flower until i find the right spot for them which may take a few years. Heaps die. Thats nature. Some species will do better than others. In the summer i always have mosquito coils going and people tell me my house looks like and smells some sort of indian hill top retreat. They stand on the street looking into the gardens and they say it wouldnt look out of place to have a tall indian man dressed in whites serving tea to a bunch of english ladies dressed inappropriately for the heat. My house is from the 1860's beginning of the Brittish Raj albeit in OZ.

Funnily enough a frenchman knocked on my door one day saying he was a decedent of the second owner of the house. He provided me with history of the house and photographs as proof. Right now where i grow stag horns, elk horns, bromeliads and orchids was in fact a fernery. ONe of the only things i have to do to make it almost original is to dig out the well and that prob wont happen due to cost.

I travel up the coast once or twice a year and dont you know it every time i go i find a dude that has orchids for sale and they end up in the back of my truck.

Filtered light is your friend. I have had 2 cut down some trees in the last 2 years due to parrots eating the shoots. New trees have been planted 2 replace them. I planted the JAMAICAN NATIONAL TREE - The Blue Mahoe (Hibiscus Elatus). the cut down trees have been wrapped in orchids, spanish moss and other parasitic plants. They will stay and the new trees will grow up beside them.

Sorry about the quality of the photos. Chucked in one of the patch which is cannabis free this year but has a cracking tomato plant in it and the dog and other stuff :)

Attachments

• SDC13700.jpg
    SDC13700.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 20
  • SDC13703.jpg
    SDC13703.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17
  • SDC13704.jpg
    SDC13704.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 18
  • SDC13707.jpg
    SDC13707.jpg