What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

G

I can use Tea to water them until they're ready for Ferts right Burnone?
And once ready for ferts.. I just turn over the top soil with the fertilizer.. and water with regular PH water... or do I continue adding Tea?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HENNESSY-
The ONLY tea I would use on seedlings less than two weeks old is worm casting tea...

Worm casting tea-
5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
1-cup earthworm castings/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering

...if five gallons is way too much, use 1/4 cup worm castings and 1 gallon of water with 1 tablespoon molasses.

Does that make sense?
Let me know how you do.
Burn1

Last edited:

linksys

BurnOne i have 2 question, if i made a batch of RECIPE #3 how long before i would have to throw it out? also i read you said the Liquid Karma is not need but you said you can substitute it with worm casting tea and molasses or plain water... but i have a bottle of GH Floralicious PLUS can i sub that in? thanks

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
linksys-
The dry mix of guano and worm castings can be kept for months or longer in a cool dry place. After the dry mix is mixed into water and made into tea, it MUST be bubbled if kept more than 24 hours or it will die. If you bubble your tea it will keep for at least 48 hours.
Burn1

G

what do you mean by bubble?
just let it sit out?
or do you put a pump w/ an airstone?
please dont flame me, just asking

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thorodee said:
what do you mean by bubble?
just let it sit out?
or do you put a pump w/ an airstone?
please dont flame me, just asking

No flame. All questions are welcome.
Yes, to "bubble" means using an aquarium pump and airstone in an open bucket.
Burn1

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so would letting the bucket sit there with no pump let the chlorine evaporate?
just asking because thats what i been doing being i have no pump.

cannigrow

Two questions,

First, after brewing the tea, should I only use 1 cup of tea per gallon to feed the girls? Do you measure the PPMs ever?

Also do you think "dry bar cave bat guano 3-10-1" will be suitable for flowering? I'm mostly wondering about the sort of high N...

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cannigrow-
The tea recipe is for 5 gallons of tea. You can use 1/2 as much dry tea mix and water to make 2.5 gallons of tea.
No need to measure PPM in organics. PPM meters measure salts mostly. Organic nutes are very low in salt.
Your "dry bar cave bat guano 3-10-1" is a high P guano. Mexican bat guano is high N guano.
Burn1

cannigrow

B1, thanks

One more thing. I transplanted my females into a simple mix of gardener's gold/bumpercrop and perlite. No added castings, guano, etc. Should I worry about deficiencies in the future? They were just put into flower and have 7 to 8 weeks of left.

If I use a cup of tea and some floralicious plus with each watering, will that suffice, or do you have any tips you’d recommend to give it an extra oomph. My mix is low in K, so while I source some Maxicrop, or Kelp, should I know of any other high in K organic goodness?

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cannigrow-
Let's see, say you go on vacation for 7 to 8 weeks. Do you need to eat? So do your plants. I hit 'em hard in flower.
Worm castings are going to provide humic acids to the soil to buffer pH and supply micro-goddies. You need powdered dolomite lime in there as well to supply calcium and magnesium.
Maxicrop used as directed will supply plenty of K. What kinds of nutes do you want to use for flowering? If you can order a bottle of Neptune's Harvest 2-3-1 Fish/Seaweed it'll be all you need until harvest provided you make a good soil mix with worm castings and dolomite lime.
Burn1

cannigrow

BurnOne said:
cannigrow-
Let's see, say you go on vacation for 7 to 8 weeks. Do you need to eat? So do your plants. I hit 'em hard in flower.
Worm castings are going to provide humic acids to the soil to buffer pH and supply micro-goddies. You need powdered dolomite lime in there as well to supply calcium and magnesium.
Maxicrop used as directed will supply plenty of K. What kinds of nutes do you want to use for flowering? If you can order a bottle of Neptune's Harvest 2-3-1 Fish/Seaweed it'll be all you need until harvest provided you make a good soil mix with worm castings and dolomite lime.
Burn1

I actually have a bottle of Neptunes Fish/Seaweed already. I'll use that. The thing is, they're already two weeks into flower, and in the mix, so it is what it is - just soil and perlite basically. I've been feeding them the guano tea every water, and I did give them a bit of Cal/Mag already since I noticed two were slightly deficient. Not organic I know, but it was needed and I didn't have lime.

So are you saying
- use just the Neptunes harvest through flower,
- continue with Maxicrop (or some K substitute) AND the High P guano tea I've been making
- use the Neptunes, and make a tea but without the guano?

Other organic nutes i have: Floralicious Plus Bloom 1-1-1, LK, Neptunes Fish Fert, Neptunes Fish/Seaweed

For next time I have the castings, pro mix and all that good stuff. Thanks for all the help too by the way...

On a side note...

When making a tea, is it ok to use a small amount of Hygrozyme or something similar? Would that help, or is that not fully organic? I have hygrozyme, cannazyme, and rhizotonic. I was told to use the Canna during flower and the Rhizo in veg.

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cannigrow-
By far, the most important part of organic soil growing is the grow medium. And, the most important part of the grow medium is humates. The base of the medium can be peat or coir or both. Worm castings, home made compost or mushroom compost will provide humus which among other things will "buffer" the pH of the medium and the liquids you pour into it. Powdered dolomite lime provides calcium and magnesium as well as adjust the pH of the medium. And finally perlite is for drainage so the medium doesn't soak the roots and suffocate the microheard. This is the foundation. And as you know, building on a solid foundation is paramount if you are building for success.

As far as Neptune's Harvest Fish/Seaweed 2-3-1 goes, if you can only get one liquid nute for flowering this is it. If you also have the 2-4-1 Fish, I suggest you use that for the last four weeks of flowering and use the 2-3-1 for the first part of flowering. You don't need much potassium in late flowering.

You don't need Maxicrop if using the 2-3-1 because it already has seaweed in it.

If you have worm castings, Maxicrop, (or Neptune's Harvest 0-0-1 seaweed) Peruvian Seabird Guano and Indonesian or Jamaican bat guano you can make this guano tea for flowering...

Flowering nute tea mix:
2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)
5 tbs. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
@ 2 cups/5 gallons of water EVERY watering.
You can use queen size knee high nylon stockings for tea bags. 3 pair for a dollar at the dollar store. Tell 'em you use them for paint strainers. Put the recommended tea in the stocking, tie a loop knot in it and hang it in your tea bucket. The tea should look like a mud puddle. Agitate the bag in the water vigorously. An aquarium pump and air stone will dissolve oxygen into the solution and keep the good bacteria (microherd) alive and thriving. Let it bubble a day or two before you use it. If you find you are making too much tea and having to throw it out, use 2 1/2 gallons of water and cut the nute amount by half.

...If you only have high P guano, you can make a tea with it alone to supplement in flowering. But you'll need seaweed and a little nitrogen as well. High P guano can be used alone in late flowering though.

I'm not familiar with the other nutes and supplements you mentioned.

With a good organic grow medium you can go with any organic nute recipe with a ratio close to 3-1-2 in veg and 1-3-2 in flower.

Burn1

Last edited:

cannigrow

Thanks B1, that helps out. I'll definitely post some pics of the girls soon so you guys can see how they're turning out. So far they're on point, and the budsets are developing as nice as any other grow I've done.

rasta

well i just went out and reupped on nutes i got maxi crop and liquid karma and all my shit
but im kinda wondering. my plants are showing signs of nitrogen toxicity the leaf tips are burned. so im wondering should i lessen the amount of PSG i put in my mix if so how much ? or if i should just cut it out for this feeding?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
If you feel they are overly fed then just stop any nutes with high N until they pale ever so slightly, plants are easy to green up later with a rich tea but overfeed then and they'll stunt.

S

rasta

well they are deff not stunted they are just slightly burnt but thank u suby ill not throw in the PSG this time