What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PH

garyw

I am growing 3 non femnized seeds I germinated seeds on May 21st. I know I am very late but was given the seeds. I live on the oregon coast within less than a mile from the beach. I built garden boxes 12" tall and turned the soil under the boxes. I started inside for 3 rows of leaves before transplanting outside. I transplanted outside in the boxes in the 1st week of June. I tried a cheap soil ph tester but it was not working on ph scale so I bought some general hydrophonics liquid to test the water. I get water from a lake but it does have chlorine in it and is city water. I tested the water and it is 7 neutral. I bought PH down and mixed some today . I did not realize how strong it is. I finally got a 2 gallon bucket full of water down to about 6 and only used 6 drops after mixing too strong a few times experimenting. I had no idea it was that strong. My plants have been doing very well since I transplanted outside. all 3 are over a foot and a half tall and are bushing out nicely I also started using Roots uprising after the first week of transplanting. This week I did see some damage to leaves and figured out it is caterpillars or inch worms fortunately I discovered early and sprayed with DT spray already mixed. I am just concerned about the PH Down I added to the water this morning. Just thought I would warn others how strong that stuff is. It also says to wear protective gloves and wash everything down to be safe. I hope they will grow fast enough they are already 18" tall and growing visibly daily. They are a fast finishing variety. not sure if male or females yet as they are not ready to bloom yet. Weather here has been in mid 60s during day and low 50's at night and seem to be doing well. Suggestions would be helpful this is my first grow.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Post pictures if you can.

That helps immensely when others can see with their own eyes what you got going on.

And welcome to the club! You'll find this to be a very addicting hobby.

garyw

I have photos on my hard drive but nothing on line. Sorry I am new here and not sure I can get them off my hard drive saw no link here.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't want to sound negative, but 3 regular plants is gambling with the chances...they could all be males. Would be better if you took fem seeds or clones from females for outside. Next time you will, probably... ;)

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have photos on my hard drive but nothing on line. Sorry I am new here and not sure I can get them off my hard drive saw no link here.

Go to the top of the page to a button saying " my ic". Go there and next page on the left side, something like 'pictures and albums', click on it and click on 'create new album'. In the new album are the upload buttons for uploading pictures to your album. If you have successfully uploaded some photos there are forum links for every picture directly under that picture. Copy the displayed link to your post here. That's it.

garyw

I know the seeds were a gift although I have more I knew I was getting a late start so I took the chance. If they are boys I will go for more seeds. They are Alaska Thunder F--k and do not know of anywhere to get clones and I read there are no femanized seeds for that strain. I knew I was taking a chance. I started with 4 but one did not germinate. I wish I could load some photos.

garyw

I hope there is an administrator to block the moron. This is one of my first posts here. Guy I will take some fresh photos and follow your post and try to load some Thanks for the help.

garyw

Attachments

• 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 089.jpg
    089.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 21

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Sweet you got pics working! Those look good to me buddy. Don't mind that one guy, he shows up out of the woodwork sometimes and does this so don't take it personally. And for PH down I think the rule of thumb is 1 cc/ml per gallon to move it 1 PH place on the scale. Or that same 1cc/ml would move 4 gallons down .25 PH.

garyw

I guess I am trying to grw large faster because I got a late start. The fella that gave me the seeds said I was too late I had to Plant before May 15th acccording to the stars. I figured I would try 4 seeds anyway for the experience. I have about 20 more seeds of this variety and some others.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't try and push them too hard. This time around you're just getting your feet wet. You'll get some good smoke out of them. It just won't be as much as next year when you get some in the ground earlier.

I've got a buddy who lives in Portland. His first go round he got 14 oz. off of 4 plants. Last year he had 2 and a half pounds off of 4.

From his pictures, he's going to get well over a pound per plant this year, and 2 of them look like they're going to break 2 lbs. each.

Your grow space looks a lot nicer than his does too, btw.

And he'd never grown a green thing in his life when he started.

garyw

Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts and thanks to the moderator for getting rid of the moron. I picked the strain I did to start with because it has a short time between bloom and finish hopefully they will finish before october because it rains hard here with high winds on the southern Oregon Coast. I still have a lot to learn about flowering and drying stages. I grew three plants in 1972 but did notknow whatI was doing. l planted them in a kids sand box and they were over 6' tall but we cut them down before they bloomed and did not know we had to wait for buds. We just smoked leaves lol. Back then we bought a lid or an oz of mexican dirt weed for 10 dollars an oz. Now my wife needs it for pain from two back surgerys I just grow for fun and will smoke a little. Just growing for her.

garyw

Thanks I have learned alot already if I get all males I will have alot of seeds anyway. Ireally like the way these have grown I see alot of potential. If no femalesI will be disappointed but I am retired I cannot affore femmanized seeds at 5 or 10 bucks a pop I do not want to grow ten to get 3 either I cannot afford to go to jail next year for a bunch of male plants.

Mengsk

If you see 1-2 plants that look really nice with pods kill the rest that day and then with care and some practice you should be able to seed the lower branch only of a single plant, 2-3 different crosses on the same plant even just keep them separate and be careful when collecting pollen. For example keep the male in a small 12/12 tent or if outside cover with cabbage row cover or plastic. Greenhouse 3M intake filter. Look for bagging tomato blossoms and I think you can use bubble bag mesh material that breathes.