What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Repuk's First Outdoor Run: ACE's Honduras, Ethiopian and Lebanese

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Lebanese, Ethiopian, Honduras.
picture.php

Honduras are scaring me already as seedlings...

I put one of the honduras on the micro-greenhouse yesterday and compared once no direct sun was available.

The one inside the hen coop had thrived and became bigger and wider. The one in the greenhouse felt light-shocked, even slightly "cooked" plus a tiny snail had made its way to the pot :shucks: :spanky:

So inside the hen coop it went. Hours later a quick but scary small hail rain stormed by... the moment I could reach the seedlings one honduras and one lebanese had wilted, maybe hail cooled their feet too much.

I moved them on a wind protected area, and used the hen fence as support letting them there, they are fine and supported theirselves fine today as seen in the pic.

Yes, I hear you dubi... :wallbash: Lesson learnt: constant attention... and prevention :chin:

So I need to think a snail/lug proof support table to raise the micro-greenhouse and... some shadow screen to put over it? under a small tree to get some shadow? Would you repot them now?

Nup

Those things took off!! Looking good!!

I usually transplant when they have roots starting to show out the bottom. Don’t know if that’s best or not.

For slugs I saw Esbe use a beer can at the base (in the Bangi haze thread, linked) I have one Bangi haze outside and it’s worked so far. Others without the can have been nibbled on. So maybe worth trying.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1154398&postcount=55

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Lebanese, Ethiopian, Honduras.
View Image

Honduras are scaring me already as seedlings...

I put one of the honduras on the micro-greenhouse yesterday and compared once no direct sun was available.

The one inside the hen coop had thrived and became bigger and wider. The one in the greenhouse felt light-shocked, even slightly "cooked" plus a tiny snail had made its way to the pot :shucks: :spanky:

So inside the hen coop it went. Hours later a quick but scary small hail rain stormed by... the moment I could reach the seedlings one honduras and one lebanese had wilted, maybe hail cooled their feet too much.

I moved them on a wind protected area, and used the hen fence as support letting them there, they are fine and supported theirselves fine today as seen in the pic.

Yes, I hear you dubi... :wallbash: Lesson learnt: constant attention... and prevention :chin:

So I need to think a snail/lug proof support table to raise the micro-greenhouse and... some shadow screen to put over it? under a small tree to get some shadow? Would you repot them now?

God damn... look at them go!

I've seen a ring made of Copper Foil Tape to keep slugs away.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thanks a lot! :tiphat: Gonna stock on "weaponry": neem oil, potassium soap, a backpack sprayer and boatloads of beer :biggrin:

No roots poking the bottom yet.

Will look for copper tape.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Left to right, top to bottom: Lebanese, Ethiopian, Honduras, Honduras.

The Honduras and one Lebanese had stretched too much so I repotted them covering the extra stem.

I moved them to the micro greenhouse some days ago and they seem to have started fattening up finally.

I'm afraid I may be overwatering... one Honduras had the pot completely populated with white healthy roots...

But the rest (another honduras, one Lebanese and one Ethiopian) didn't had that many roots, and their color wasn't as white... so promised myself not to water until I see them droopy.

Didn't move/repot the remaining Ethiopian and Lebanese, as they hardly have put out the first set of true leaves. Maybe same overwatering mistake... :wallbash:

picture.php

I used small pots to lessen my overwatering tendency, for soil I used 80% blumenerde, 20% humus, and a good dose (12grams or so) of Leonardite well mixed with the soil.

Kaskadian

Veteran
I think they look happy and healthy my friend! I wouldn't worry about anything; post transplant they will explode in size. Looking great. :)

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thanks Kaskadian!

I find myself petting them each few hours... bugs (white flies, aphids and ants) are thriving around...

As soon as I feel they are well stablished in the new pots, will water them with Neem oil.

Just received the potassic soap, would they be too young to use it? (as it's also a potassium fertilizer?)

In the meanwhile, hired a guardian :biggrin:

picture.php

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Update

Update

This seems to have been one of these situations where doing nothing was the best possible action...

Once I stopped trying to drown them (coco style), they started making progress... I haven't watered them in a week (since repotting), watching them closely in order to water as soon as I notice droopiness.

It clicked instantly in my head while reading TychoMonolyth's Many Forest Gorillas vs Several Forest and Well Tended Plants yesterday (great thread! still reading!)

Ibechillin said:
Tropical rain forest equatorial sativas (honduras/columbia) grow monocot fibrous root systems typically to make best use of the frequent rainfall. Much of the rain water is lost from evaporation due to the intense sunlight, giving the plants roots a constant wet and dry cycle as well as providing high ~70% humidity for foliage above ground for explosive growth. This style landrace sativa would probably do best growing in compost/castings similar to the forest floor where constant nutrition is available.

picture.php

That will explain why they aren't drinking if any while thriving inside the micro greenhouse (has ventilation)...

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Tychomololyth said:
Can't wait to see them all grown up. Nothing will turn your head like a beautiful spanish woman.

:laughing:

I have located an outstanding quality peat/humus soil, a friend opened a grow-shop/agricultural/farmer supplies store and offers me killing prices, specially by volume.

The smart pots he has: 50L/13gal, 70L/18gal and 150L/40gal, thought on repotting to 70L for vegging, and to 150L prior to flower, does that sound fine?

Tycho curious of your on-spot super-soil amendments...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've never grown in pots. But a friend wants to try it in 5gal pails. I think wider is better than deeper though. I read somewhere that when left to grow freely, roughly 80% of the root mass will reside in the top 12 inches of soil.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I'm tempted to do a trial directly on the ground... the spot is surrounded by reeds, soil is forest-like: full of reeds rhizomes (nothing that some pick wouldn't fix), but really dark, fragrant smelling and loose.

My fears: not being able to move the plants if need arises, and looking on how surrounding plants develop, afraid of ending up with a monster...

Gonna try with a Krystalica cut I was about to ditch... (I know these develop into small plants). This way I can get some training on me to fight pests or other issues before I bring the ACE seedlings, etc and see also how does the ground soil perform.

Tychomonolyth said:
I read somewhere that when left to grow freely, roughly 80% of the root mass will reside in the top 12 inches of soil.

That makes a lot of sense, and in line with the tropical sativas info Ibechillin posted... also being cannabis a seasonal plant why devote that much energy to throw a deep tap root... :yes:

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'm tempted to do a trial directly on the ground... the spot is surrounded by reeds, soil is forest-like: full of reeds rhizomes (nothing that some pick wouldn't fix), but really dark, fragrant smelling and loose.

My fears: not being able to move the plants if need arises, and looking on how surrounding plants develop, afraid of ending up with a monster...

Gonna try with a Krystalica cut I was about to ditch... (I know these develop into small plants). This way I can get some training on me to fight pests or other issues before I bring the ACE seedlings, etc and see how does the ground soil perform.

That makes a lot of sense, and in line with the tropical sativas info Ibechillin posted... also being cannabis a seasonal plant why devote that much energy to throw a deep tap root... :yes:
We have a common reed, and it's taking over everything and in many rural ditches. It's at least 7' high and thrives in ditches and wetlands. There's some in my ditch and encroaching on the lawn. I mow them down but they're here to stay. Great hiding spot though.

If your plant gets too big, bend it (supercrop).

I want to try superautos next year for an August crop. Still researching it.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Last two repotted

Last two repotted

Just repotted the last two:

picture.php

Mixed 50% coco this time with blumenerde for more porosity. Will start adding perlite/vermiculite to tweak water retention and drainage respectively next time, slowly getting the hang of soil and water.

Honduras are the tallest and lankiest so far. All look lanky and lovely wild, really spaced internodes.

Some tiny snail tested the biggest honduras (hole can be seen) and it seems didn't like the taste at all... :yes: found the lil bastard on the smallest Ethiopian.

Full sun for them today, removed the micro greenhouse "roof".

Will start feeding neem on the biggest ones tomorrow.

Latest posts

Latest posts