What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil & Nutrients

Just wondering if i am supposed to buy a certain soil or if any will do.

What would be the best nutrients to go for? I was thinking not to use it so it does not effect my taste and flavour of buds.

G

Gr33nSanta

Just wondering if i am supposed to buy a certain soil or if any will do.

What would be the best nutrients to go for? I was thinking not to use it so it does not effect my taste and flavour of buds.

mix good compost with perlite. done.

cureious

Here's the thread for various soil mixes specifically for cannabis.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228020

Choose what's available and affordable to you. Decide if you want to try to stay as natural as you can and do some reading on this site, or if buying premixed in a bottle, regardless, all your needs are on this site, go explore and read.

The fox farm marketing always blows my mind. It's half price at local farm store compared to the one 'grow shop I've been in

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
^What troutman said.

For nutrients?
Old School: Drop a whole egg in the hole, cover with a bit of soil, then drop your plant in it.

New School: Here's a great video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6TDrMJxWU Easy as hell to make.
Start making this May 1st (the same day you germinate your seeds).
Use the mix when you plant outdoor June 1.
This mix doesn't require you to feed all summer.
Just don't forget to water ever 1 or 2 weeks.

Good luck with your Organic grow!

Edit: The video asks for, among a couple other things, Nodosum Kelp. If you can't find it, any kelp meal will do.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
I like bone meal, fish meal, cow manure and some bat guano. I noticed recently that I can get chicken manure
locally and will add that to my guerilla grow this year. I'm currently raising some European nightcrawlers and will
use everything they produced this Spring and restart their worm bin.

soil margin

Veteran
Best nutrients really depend on how long you're gonna be using the soil/how soon you're gonna use it. Some nutrients last a long time and release slowly over that period. Other nutrients wash away quickly but have high concentration while they are in the soil. The key is to customize your mix in a way that makes sure your plants are getting enough of a specific nutrient at the right time. Try and learn the fundamentals of what nutrients your girls will need during early veg/late veg/early flower/late flower. Knowing roughly what it's in your starting soil you can always amend it to something suitable for growing nice buds.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Drop a whole egg in huh? Yeah, because you really want to risk contamination via salmonella. Horrible advice.

Just click the link in my sig.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some us actually KNOW what we are doing, not because the internet told us so, but because we have real world, first hand experience and knowledge collected over decades of doing something.

I'm done trying to factually prove anything anymore. Truth is irrelevant here. No one cares about the facts. All anybody wants is to be told how special they are and to have a bunch of fanboys patting them on the back.

Have fun with your eggs!

dank.Frank

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
lol. Dude chill... we're all on the same team here. It's all about sharing. Nothing else.

I was born and raised on a farm. Moved to the city for post secondary, and moved back to the country. I'm 60 and still growing (and learning). From 8" autos to 14 footers. You should have seen the 30" Zucchinis I grew last year. lol

We feed MAP to livestock, but with an NPK 11-52-34, I use it for flowering too.

Here's something you can pick up on the internet;
Go to a farm co-op or feed store and ask for a bag of MAP or MPP. You can get a 50lb bag for about $80. It's added to livestock feed.

- MAP is MonoAmmonium Phosphate granules with an NPK of 12-61-0 but sometimes 11-52-34 (nice). You have to ask.
If your plant is doing well in flower, use this.

- MPP is MonoPotasium Phosphate granules with a usual NPK of 0-52-34. Again, you have to ask them. But the N will always be 0.
If you're worried about high N locking out your P&K, use this.

OR

I hate having to feed when I grow.
I've always used MAP. I make a high cellulose paper clay (look it up), and make a ball. Inside the ball I put a tablespoon of MAP. Dry the clay. I make these well in advance of spring. Prep your holes May 1st. When you put your plants out June 1st, drop a MAP ball in the hole and cover with supersoil, then your plant. The cellulose in the ball should degrade by start to mid August and release.

You're welcome.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
coast of maine platium mix along with stoneington blend plant food,lobster compost,lobster meal,kelp and earthworm castings. these products have did me very well over the years.

h.h.

Veteran
Drop a whole egg in huh? Yeah, because you really want to risk contamination via salmonella. Horrible advice.

Just click the link in my sig.

dank.Frank

I have eggs in my trees, should I be worried?
Don't use factory eggs.
Not my personal choice, but an option. Calcium and protein.
I feed my unhatched eggs to the pigs, then use the pig shit.
All roads lead to Rome.
Alive and kicking. No salmonella. Nature rules. I'm not scared. Just cautious.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have eggs in my trees, should I be worried?
Don't use factory eggs.
Not my personal choice, but an option. Calcium and protein.
I feed my unhatched eggs to the pigs, then use the pig shit.
All roads lead to Rome.
Alive and kicking. No salmonella. Nature rules. I'm not scared. Just cautious.

First time I went to South America I was shocked to find the eggs at the grocery store on the shelves next to the bread, and not in the refrigerated section. Same thing in Central America. So I did some digging (I was working at Health Canada at the time).

If you wash the egg, the inside is likely to get contaminated, so it needs to be refrigerated. They don't wash them so they don't need to be in the fridge.