What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP Glen Campbell

Gry

RIP sir.

From Wrecking Crew Wiki:
Though Glen Campbell became better known as a highly successful country music artist in his own right, he played guitar in the Wrecking Crew during the 1960s and appeared along with them on several of the Beach Boys' classics of the period such as "I Get Around" and "Help Me Rhonda".[80] In 1965 he toured with the Beach Boys, and in 1966 he and the Wrecking Crew played on the Pet Sounds album.[81][nb 4] Campbell enlisted the Wrecking Crew as a backup unit on many of his own solo records during the 1960s, such as on "Gentle on My Mind", and on two songs written by Jimmy Webb, "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" and his single "Wichita Lineman". Members more recently backed Glen Campbell in his song "I'm Not Gonna Miss You"

sdd420

Veteran
He won't be forgotten. I listen every day and loved all his songs. He is a great Pandora station too. Thanks for everything Glen

N

noyd666

very easy to listen to, R.I.P GLEN CAMPBELL.

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

very sad, one of the 'Greats' of my generation.......

This is a very sad song he wrote once diagnosed :nono:

I'm Not Gonna Miss You

[YOUTUBEIF]U8TsAh-zYFI[/YOUTUBEIF]

R.I.P. Glen

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Before my time- my uncle, a great git-ar player and awesome fiddler, actually gave Glen guitar lessons as a young teen when he lived in ABQ in the mid '50's. Glen then joined his uncle's band, Dick Bill's & the Sandia Mountain Boys(Gang) on the radio.

Later, when I was a kid in the '60's, I was on the the Dick Bill's TV show (peanut gallery bleachers) that ran old Lone Ranger and Gene Autry episodes. Great times.

To the Wichita Lineman...RIP.

Attachments

• 6211438037_4768446f26_b.jpg
    6211438037_4768446f26_b.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ronbo51

Veteran
My brother is a very accomplished guitarist. He can break down and play anything. He recently began playing Wichita Lineman in his regular rotation. I can see it is very difficult and has some interesting chord combinations. Just last week he started working up "Galveston", a beautiful song that was a big hit. I never realized it was an anti Vietnam war song, but I was just a kid when it came out. My bro says this song is hard as shit to play.

I also remember the summer that he guest hosted for the Smothers Brothers when they took their summer break. Back when you had 3 channels. He was big from the start, destined for greatness after cutting his teeth in sessions with the wrecking crew, much like Duane Allman did with the swampers.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Galveston", a beautiful song that was a big hit. I never realized it was an anti Vietnam war song
Actually, Jimmy Webb, songwriter, was on a beach in Galveston when he wrote the song. He made up the story about a soldier in the Spanish-American war and the girl he left behind.

https://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2750

Still, a befitting war song, leaving those you love...

"Galveston, oh, Galveston,
I still hear your seawaves crashin,
while I watch the cannons flashin'.
I clean my gun, and dream of Galveston."