What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hollow Stems?

Spaventa

Veteran
Bicycle frames are engineered for light weight, as birds have "bioengineered" light bones for flight.

Equally, Cannabis is bioengineered just like the bird, to have hollow, tubular support structures, in ideal conditions. The trait is more evident in some genetics than others.Strains that evolved in windy, dry, nutrient depleted places would be the least likely to exhibit hollow stems I would guess
Hollow stems don't make your plants idiot proof and your free to blame your feeding and environment errors on them if you wish, I care not.

This thread is getting hilarious. The number of unverifiable claims being thrown around is getting pretty high, even for weed growers. Some of you are acting like you can see the code in the matrix or something, but if there was a definitive answer to be had you could read it in a book, instead we're here getting really serious about internet arguments.

Spaventa

Veteran
The only definitive answer is the conclusion you reach yourself after doing your own experiments and observing your own results with your own two eyes.
Ive been doing exactly that for over 15 years and if hollow stems are a result of incorrect nutrient ratios that result in deficiency, then your not only telling me I'm wrong, your telling us that Canna are wrong and all the many hollow stemmed monsters Ive grown on it were deficient in various nutrients. I can tell you thats bullshit because those plants were perfect and grown to full potential. Your saying Canna and almost all the other nutrients manufacturers Ive tried don't know how much Ca or Boron Cannabis needs. Thats laughable. Canna invest millions in RandD and have been number one in the cannabis specific nutrient game forever. Imagine a king kong roar for emphasis please, thanks.

jidoka

High N, low Ca allows the plant to grow so fast that Ca can not possibly keep up ( xylem v phloem thing). When that happens K replace Ca. If you use any weed fert it is guaranteed you have that problem...and hollow stems on certain strains

Spaventa

Veteran
High N, low Ca allows the plant to grow so fast that Ca can not possibly keep up ( xylem v phloem thing). When that happens K replace Ca. If you use any weed fert it is guaranteed you have that problem...and hollow stems on certain strains

Horseshit. If you use Canna, Metrop or the like you get zero nutrient problems, at all. You have obviously never used either.
As I said canna is low N anyway. "Guaranteed" lol

Spaventa

Veteran
Then why do you get hollow stems

I don't get hollow stems, unless the plant grows hollow stems.
As I said previously, its genetic and environmental. It appears most in plants that carry the genetic potential if they grown in optimum conditions.
In my current grows, which Ive topped a few times, some have hollow stems some don't, all sativa strains or clones, all on the same feeding of Canna Flores.

To identify a single cause, a nutrient or whatever, it has to present itself as the cause in every test, on every test subject. Grow 20 different plants from 4 different strains with a high quality chelated nutrient like Canna or Merop, and when your see ALL the plants either solid or hollow, come back us and tell us about it. I will not be holding my breath.

jidoka

What I am telling you is that you are a victim of marketing. Many of us can grow your hollow stem strains w/o hollow stems but with both higher quality and yield while spending maybe 20% of what you do for that marketing

You don’t have to believe me for it to be a fact

The only definitive answer is the conclusion you reach yourself after doing your own experiments and observing your own results with your own two eyes.
Ive been doing exactly that for over 15 years and if hollow stems are a result of incorrect nutrient ratios that result in deficiency, then your not only telling me I'm wrong, your telling us that Canna are wrong and all the many hollow stemmed monsters Ive grown on it were deficient in various nutrients. I can tell you thats bullshit because those plants were perfect and grown to full potential. Your saying Canna and almost all the other nutrients manufacturers Ive tried don't know how much Ca or Boron Cannabis needs. Thats laughable. Canna invest millions in RandD and have been number one in the cannabis specific nutrient game forever. Imagine a king kong roar for emphasis please, thanks.

That's a pretty long list of things I didn't say at all that you want to attribute to me. Maybe if you took this less personally you'd think more clearly about what it is YOU'RE saying.

Spaventa

Veteran
What I am telling you is that you are a victim of marketing. Many of us can grow your hollow stem strains w/o hollow stems but with both higher quality and yield while spending maybe 20% of what you do for that marketing

You don’t have to believe me for it to be a fact

Bullshit. I was a victim of great harvests you could only dream of. I was smashing 1g/w with barely any veg time before there was any nice grow room controllers and boosters and LEDS and CMH. Did it for over a decade till I retired, back to back enough to bury your house. Ive done enough side by side test grows on variables to know. I ran the Same Apollo 11 genius pheno from early 2000 for YEARS every which way - soil, hydro, coco, aero, hps, mh, metrop, canna, growth technology, all combinations with her for YEARS and NEVER EVER saw an even slightly hollow stem EVER. EVER The ONLY plants I see it on big tropical mostly sativa but if people say they seen it on indicas hybrids, its entirely plausible.

That's a pretty long list of things I didn't say at all that you want to attribute to me. Maybe if you took this less personally you'd think more clearly about what it is YOU'RE saying.

You are assuming. You know that makes an ASS of U and ME right?

I didn't even quote you dude, this is a public forum, you know, with other people besides you that I was responding to in separate paragraphs. But even if all that is beyond you, and you need little quotes to remind you what you said, if you had read anyones posts in this thread, you would realise what was meant for others and what was directed at you.

Hollow stems are a normal anatomical feature of many fast growing annuals and herbacious perrenials including Cannabis, and it has nothing to do with deficiency. Some plants like broccoli and cauliflower can exhibit hollow or cracking stems due to Calcium/Boron deficiency or excess Nitrogen.

Spaventa - the hollow stem in Cannabis is an air space and is not related to water/nutrient transport, as this occurs in the Xylem vessels. Also, Canna Flores is an top quality Hydro nutrient which gives excellent results with minimal effort. I use it from seed to harvest and no other supplements are required.

Cheers :)

Spaventa

Veteran
Hollow stems are a normal anatomical feature of many fast growing annuals and herbacious perrenials including Cannabis, and it has nothing to do with deficiency. Some plants like broccoli and cauliflower can exhibit hollow or cracking stems due to Calcium/Boron deficiency or excess Nitrogen.

Spaventa - the hollow stem in Cannabis is an air space and is not related to water/nutrient transport, as this occurs in the Xylem vessels. Also, Canna Flores is an top quality Hydro nutrient which gives excellent results with minimal effort. I use it from seed to harvest and no other supplements are required.

I wish i took pictures of when i topped them. A picture of the fluid that was over flowing out of the cut end would have destroyed you utterly - they are full of fluid. Physics dictates that if it were not, there is no way this can occur because if it was empty, it would first have to fill a void before overflowing but it overflows the instant its cut. It may technically be fluid accumulation in a vessel rather than a bio pipeline but fluid is still transported through it.

djonkoman

Veteran
I would like to see those pictures too.. because that would go against everything I've learned in plant physiology. are you really sure the fluid wasn't coming from a part of the ring around the hollow space? because the xylem would be somewhere around there, so it wouldn't be strange to see some fluid coming from there.
but it would be really strange if fluid was flowing within the hollow middle of the stem. I don't even know if it's physically possible, since the larger diameter tube you have, the harder it becomes to get the water to go up.

Y

Yard dog

I was under the impression that hollow piths came about due to a lack of carbon during explosive growth stages?? ie the pith gets eaten

Y

Yard dog

I would like to see those pictures too.. because that would go against everything I've learned in plant physiology. are you really sure the fluid wasn't coming from a part of the ring around the hollow space? because the xylem would be somewhere around there, so it wouldn't be strange to see some fluid coming from there.
but it would be really strange if fluid was flowing within the hollow middle of the stem. I don't even know if it's physically possible, since the larger diameter tube you have, the harder it becomes to get the water to go up.

It's not possible with no pith as there's no parenchyma cells there if hollow....

Yes the Xylem tissue fluids will continue to flow if the roots exert a positive root pressure, and this will occur whenever the roots are well hydrated. It can and will happen in cut solid stems as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_pressure

The void in a hollow stem is not filled with fluid and plays no part in transport throughout the plant.