What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Cannabis History Books?

nattyroots

Cannabis, Evolution and Ethnobotany by R Clark and M Merlin for info.

001: The Great Books of Cannabis, Book I and II for pics. Landraces.

Enjoy

Dungle

Hi people! In Italy I found an interesting book by john P. Morgan and Lynn Zimmer:
Exposing Marijuana Myths: A Review of the Scientific Evidence.

It's an analysis about consequences of prohibitionism in America from 1937 to 2000, with a lot of medical documents which show that argument like "cannabis destroy tour brair" or "cannabis makes you crazy and lazy" are scientifically false...

In Italy some doctors, lawyers, journalists or activist wrote and are writing some books about cannabis, and some of them send me some books to add to my antiprohibitionist distro :p
So if somebody knows some writers which are interested to send me some books about historical, medical or others information about cannabis I would ne happy to add them to my distro (obv it's no profit, we organize cannabis event where se vive free weed to people that could read the books, I hope this is's spam) :)

Time Magizine Special Edition 2018

Marajuana Goes Main Street

Excellent history of prohibition with a lot of modern insight into the effects legalization. This is a good one to share with a skeptical friend.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Cannabis, Evolution and Ethnobotany by R Clark and M Merlin for info.

I've been reading this, whenever I get a chance, for about a month now.
If you are a weed or hemp nerd this
Is for you. Goes DEEP into the history, evolution, dispersion, classification, and it's many many uses - medical, ritual, psychoactive, industrial, etc.

And everything is cited!

This is not a how to book or grow book, but a excellent reference book for learning about our beloved plants past.

zifozonke

Hashish - by Suomi LaValle
One of the best Ive seen.

Attachments

• hashish-suomi-la-valle-john-julius_1_181b92908c8f7105f655b633a0322adf.jpg
    hashish-suomi-la-valle-john-julius_1_181b92908c8f7105f655b633a0322adf.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 106

Passenger101

I’m looking for a book about weed history with a heavy focus on breeders from the 1960s-2000s. Does such a book exist?
Thanks for any help,
Roy
:sasmokin:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
2700 years ago in China...

2700 years ago in China...

https://cannabiscoalition.ca/info/Russo_et_alAncientCannabis2008.pdf

s. Near the head and foot of the shaman’s bier lay a large leather basket and wooden bowl (see Supplementary Fig. S5A, B at JXB online) filled with 789 g of vegetative matter, initially thought to be Coriandrum sativum L.(coriander), but which, after meticulous botanical examination, proved to be Cannabis sativa L. (Jiang et al., 2006).

An initial radiocarbon date of 2500 years BP has subsequently been corrected to a calibrated figure of 2700
years BP based on additional analyses of equestrian gear and
correlation to tree ring data (dendrochronology) in China

And...

The results presented collectively point to the most probable conclusion which is that the Gushı culture
cultivated cannabis for pharmaceutical, psychoactive or divinatory purposes. In examining the botanical evidence from this ‘old and cold’ site with its unique degree of preservation, the cannabis consisted of a processed (pounded) sample whose seed size, colour, and morphology, at least according to principles of Vavilov (Vavilov, 1926), suggest that it was cultivated rather than merely gathered from wild plants. The considerable amount of cannabis present (789 g) without any large stalks or branches would logically imply a pooled collection rather than one from a single plant. Importantly, no obvious male cannabis plant parts (e.g. staminate flowers, not infrequently observed in Indian herbal cannabis, or bhang (Russo, 2007) were evident, implying their exclusion or possible removal by human intervention, as these are pharmacologically less psychoactive.

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Ive kinda went overboard buying cannabis books. But I still have many to add to my collection.
Still need to get the high dollar books. - the six from Cherniak, the Suome La Valle Hashish, Ernest Abel, Ernest Small, etc.

I'm currently reading Cannabis and the Soma Solution by Chris Bennet. Awesome book
Next I want to read his book libre 420.

Also I want Chris Duval's Cannabis in Africa book.

Here's some of them, but have added since pic was taken
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

weregild

Ive kinda went overboard buying cannabis books. But I still have many to add to my collection.
Still need to get the high dollar books. - the six from Cherniak, the Suome La Valle Hashish, Ernest Abel, Ernest Small, etc.

I'm currently reading Cannabis and the Soma Solution by Chris Bennet. Awesome book
Next I want to read his book libre 420.

Also I want Chris Duval's Cannabis in Africa book.

Here's some of them, but have added since pic was taken
View ImageView ImageView Image

That's quiet the library, have you read them all?

No judgement if you haven't, I personally find the unread books in a library more useful than the read ones (as reference, spur of the moment curiosity, aspiration reads, etc.)

therevverend

Veteran
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...891256/?page=1

Magazine article from 1851. There is nothing new under the sun. This describes extraction with solvents, maybe CO2, curing with oil, sative vs indica and many other things that have been argued here.

This is a great find and contains good information. Note that the 'sativa vs indica' definition is the scientific one. Not the same as the one most people use. In simple terms, the true definition of Sativa is that it's European hemp, Indica is almost all drug cannabis. Including Afghani wide leaf and narrow leaf tropical types. The author, Dr Alexander Christison, describes an experiment, involving seeds obtained in India from a ganja bud. Grown alongside the native English hemp plant. This is his Sativa vs Indica experiment. The results are interesting.

The local Sativa plants finished and matured by October 1st, fully flowered. Not surprising since they're British hemp. The tropical Indica plant grown outdoors reached 4 1/2 feet by August, 9 feet by October 1. With a sturdy woody stem and dens foliage. It had barely begun flowering by Oct 1st, also not surprising because India is much closer to the equator.

The Indica planted in the hothouse were only 4 feet tall by Oct 1. They were slender, with smaller, sparser, tender leaves but in full flower. The Indica plants did not produce either the large buds or the large resin glands found on plants grown in the hot sun of India. Rather the resin production was much less vigorous, the glands were small and not as numerous, similar to the local hemp plants.

Any guesses as to why the hothouse plants flowered faster then the outdoor plants? The difference in height can be attributed to the extra time the outdoor plants had in Veg, the hothouse plants started sooner. No mention of light deprivation. The other question is why the hothouse plants lacked large resin glands. I've seen plenty of pictures taken by modern Indica growers in England and they seem to contain plenty of resin despite the cool overcast British weather. I've noticed tropical strains grown in temperate climates or indoors under artificial lights don't produce the amount of resin plants grown in the full sun of the tropics produce. Another possibility is that the plants were only a few weeks into flowering, needed another month or so to mature fully.

It's enlightening but not surprising the knowledge of cannabis in the 19th century was nearly as complete as our own. Without the cultural and legal stigma attached to the plant botanists and doctors were able to conduct research without both hands tied behind their back. Dr. Christison is known not just for his research on cannabis, but also actively using cannabis for it's medical effectiveness. For example using it to treat pregnant women suffering from stalled labors.

Outside the field of cannabis he worked to allow women access to education, specifically to train women as doctors. He was President of the Scottish Association for the Medical Education of Women. In the 1850s the number of women who died in childbirth was criminal. I'd guess his efforts to educate women as doctors and his use of cannabis to assist difficult births saved the lives of many mothers and babies.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
That's quiet the library, have you read them all?

No judgement if you haven't, I personally find the unread books in a library more useful than the read ones (as reference, spur of the moment curiosity, aspiration reads, etc.)

No. I've read most. I've read the grow books of course! There's actually another pic that was supposed to be included, so about one pics worth more of books. And I've added another 5 or so since then.

I need to find "growing indoors for fun or profit" Farmer in the Sky.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have a few thousand Cannabis books most are in two 6 foot tall bookshelves, next to my medicinal Cannabis bottle glass display cabinet with a few hundred items. I also have a bunch more Industrial Hemp books in many languages.
-SamS

Attachments

• 86280489_648833875924159_5670970853660033024_n.jpg
    86280489_648833875924159_5670970853660033024_n.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 0501170015 HDR
    0501170015 HDR
    30.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 84573910_609291509856376_678622931760185344_n.jpg
    84573910_609291509856376_678622931760185344_n.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 94
  • 85249046_865208087257728_1345624493766213632_n-1.jpg