What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Wetting Agent..

Aksala

What do you guys suggest? I'm using Happy Frog/castings/perlite mix and need something because its becoming a bitch to water my plants.

I've heard dish soap is good but how harmful is that to the plants....?

What do you other organics heads use?

softyellowlight

castille soap (plain old soap like Dr. Bronner's, not detergent) worked for me to get the soil absorbing and draining well. I think the use of kelp is supposed to help, as well.

Aksala

Ok...I ordered just a little 2 oz bottle of the dr bronners castile soap...if it works good I'll get a bigger bottle later.

How much per gallon should i use? Guessing like a tsp or maybe little less...but if I'm way off lemme know guys.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Ok...I ordered just a little 2 oz bottle of the dr bronners castile soap...if it works good I'll get a bigger bottle later.

How much per gallon should i use? Guessing like a tsp or maybe little less...but if I'm way off lemme know guys.
Aksala

3 or 4 drops per gallon of water should be enough. Shaking up the tank after adding the soap will activate the saponins in the soap which will give you a better 'surfactant quality' when you spray. It's almost like flocking a Christmas tree as it comes out of the spray tip. Almost..........

Maybe a better analogy is that it's like watching the drool and spittle from the corner of Sarah Palin's mouth when she's explaining how to see Russia from Anchorage. Something like that.

HTH

CC

opt1c

Veteran
cocowet should work good for u

*actually it shouldn't according to their website... liquid spray only supposedly... it is organic though*

yucca it is or a drop of unscented natural dishsoap

Last edited:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I use Hulmes Yucca Powder when I need it.

But if you mulch your containers so that the top layer always remains a little moist, you won't need it.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Dignan

How much of the Yucca powder do you use for 1 gallon of liquid? A local company has a Yucca root powder for about $10.00 per pound - is that a fair price compared to the product that you're using?

The supplier was not able to give me much help on an application rate as they sell this product to manufacturers of HABA (health and beauty aids) companies so it's going into pills and capsules.

Thanks for any input!

CC

mad librettist

Veteran
I didn't need any last mix I made, because I replaced perlite with calcined DE (napa auto parts #8822). The DE chunks are really good at taking and giving water, and the peat has no choice. I just mixed up the soil using wet DE chunks, then watered it a bit later.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Dignan

How much of the Yucca powder do you use for 1 gallon of liquid? A local company has a Yucca root powder for about $10.00 per pound - is that a fair price compared to the product that you're using?

The supplier was not able to give me much help on an application rate as they sell this product to manufacturers of HABA (health and beauty aids) companies so it's going into pills and capsules.

Thanks for any input!

CC

Hey CC-

I use 1/2-1 TBSP per gallon. The tub I have is 1 lb and I think it usually sells for like $7-8.

As far as I can tell, this Humes product is not the root. The label just says it's soluble yucca. My hunch is that the root is the part of the plant with therapeutic uses for humans and surely more difficult/expensive to produce than just the blades of the yucca plant, so perhaps that's why it's a bit more expensive.

HTH

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Hey CC-

I use 1/2-1 TBSP per gallon. The tub I have is 1 lb and I think it usually sells for like $7-8.

As far as I can tell, this Humes product is not the root. The label just says it's soluble yucca. My hunch is that the root is the part of the plant with therapeutic uses for humans and surely more difficult/expensive to produce than just the blades of the yucca plant, so perhaps that's why it's a bit more expensive.

HTH

Scratch that! TSP, not TBSP. 1-2 teaspoons per gallon, Clack.

Sorry for the typo. Rookie mistake.

Peace-

Dig

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Dignan

Well that settles it. Once I finish up the liquid Yucca extract I'll switch over to the Yucca powder. It's certainly far, far more cost effective. The landed cost for the organic (no preservatives) Yucca extract liquid is right around $32.00 per quart/liter and the suggest application rate is 1 - 2 ounces per gallon of water, i.e between $1.00 and $2.00 per gallon.

Even at $10.00 per lb. for the product that's available down the road a bit, the powder is a far better deal. I mean we're talking about a desert plant. LOL

Thanks for the application rate info.

CC

S

Stankie

CC, Do the antiseptic properties of aloe vera juice concern you when used in a organic grow?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CC, Do the antiseptic properties of aloe vera juice concern you when used in a organic grow?
Stankie

In Jeff L.'s book, Teaming With Microbes, is where I first read about using aloe vera and Yucca extract as a fungal food when brewing an AACT. As a matter of fact, aloe vera is mentioned first in this - before fish hydrolysate is discussed. Not that this means anything specifically.

I just went back and checked the information to make sure I had it correct.

HTH

CC

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Just wanted to do a 7 year bump on this bad boy. Is yucca extract still the best? I would prefer adding something to my soil mix as opposed to into the water feeding everytime.
I don't like to mulch as I do like to see when the plant is dry and needs water. Can't find any yucca source here in canada either. My soil mix isn't super bad where I need this. But I would like the best water absorption and spread as possible so even when its really dry and crusty on the top inch I can water quick and it soaks it like a spunge. Also my organic matter is really high incase anyone is going to suggest that.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Dignan

Well that settles it. Once I finish up the liquid Yucca extract I'll switch over to the Yucca powder. It's certainly far, far more cost effective. The landed cost for the organic (no preservatives) Yucca extract liquid is right around $32.00 per quart/liter and the suggest application rate is 1 - 2 ounces per gallon of water, i.e between $1.00 and $2.00 per gallon.

Even at $10.00 per lb. for the product that's available down the road a bit, the powder is a far better deal. I mean we're talking about a desert plant. LOL

Thanks for the application rate info.

CC
That is a lot, no? 1 tbs = 15ml Therefore 1-2oz = 2-4 tbs/gal

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
What actually triggered this was I did a compost mulch layer on a few plants and it is this layer that is 100% hydrophobic and after 5 mins of slow watering it is bone dry. All literature has said that organic matter and humic matter absorbs and holds water and helps the medium do so, so I am confused why 100% compost would act this way.

I would like to add that my soil mix as a whole is not hydrophic at all and soaks water like a spunge immediately while having amazing drainage.

Here is the mix.

NPK MACRO MEALS
[]1 Cup Kelp (1-0-2)
[]1/2 Cup Bone (4-10-0)
[]1/2 Cup Fishbone (4-18-0)
[]1/2 Cup Neem (4-3-2)
[]1/2 Cup Insect Frass (3-1-3)
[]1/3 Cup Alfalfa (3-1-2)
[]1/3 Cup Soymeal (7-2-2)

MINERAL
[]2 Cup Granite Grit (0-0-3)
[]1 Cup Diatomaceous Earth
[]1 Cup Glacial Rock Dust (0-0-1)
[]1/8 Cup Basalt (0-0-1)
[]1/8 Cup Azomite

CALCIUM
[]1/3 Cup Gypsum
[]1/3 Cup Dolomite

OTHER
[]1 Cup Dehydrated Molasses

BASE
1 CF = 8 LOOSE FILLED GALLON

5 Gallon Recycled Soil Mix
(33% Peat, 33% Organic Matter, 33% Perlite)

+
.5 Gallon EWC
.5 Gallon Compost
.5 Gallon Guinea/Horse Manure
.5 Gallon Vermiculite
.5 Gallon Expanded Clay
.5 Gallon Perlite