What's new

Grapefruit

Grapefruit clones, first one 7 days 12/12.
Second is 18 days.
4 clones, 400w HPS, DWC, Vitalink nutes this time out with no additives.
In the first pic they are suffering overfert. 1700ppm for 4 days... eeek!!
My trunchion read 800ppm due to low batteries... slack, I know.
At 18 days they are back on track.

Stretching

Stretching slowed.

Last edited:
A view of the whole box,
75 ltr tub filled to the 50 ltr level, 5" netpots with rockwool starter cube and hydroton, 50 ltr/minute airpump, two 5" ceramic disc airstones and a 400w growlux hps.
There is a 400w cooltube in the top for when the temps get high with a 5" axial fan extracting 24/7.
I have a 5" centrifugal fan switched by a temp controller and thermocouple sensor.
Intake air is dehumidified and heated if necessary by a paraffin heater.
So it's dependant on the temperature as to whether they get extra co2.

Last edited:

ogenko

1700 ppm ouch
good thing you got that fixed up
looks like you'll be fine
what are those ceramic disks all about???
clog resistant?? how long lasting??
peace and good growing

Yeah they're just a disc of ceramic 5" dia, mounted in a plastic disc.
The air is piped into the plastic disc where there is a gap between it and the ceramic disc. The air is then pushed through the ceramic creating lot's of bubbles and water movement.
They last forever because you can clean them very easily by drying them out and scrubbing them with h2o2. Do this every crop and they never clog.

ogenko

looks like the work great
keep coming with the pictures..
looks like you're gonna have plenty of buds

Thanks for the interest. They are looking pretty good this time, I pushed them a bit too hard with the nutes last couple of times, so I'm holding back a bit this time. They look a tad crowded in the pics but it all looks fine in the flesh. I like to fill the box.
Currently on 1000ppm.
21 days flower;

Last edited:
Well it's been another week.
28 days 12/12, 7 days veg.
Frosting up now and they have stopped stretching, currently on 1100ppm after deducting starting tds.
Sorry about the pictures, my camera is shite :redface:

They should finish at 7,1/2 weeks.:canabis:
Let me know what you think?
HF.

Last edited:
A little bit more about these clones, I bought 20 Grapefruit seeds from female seeds along with 20 Skunk specials, they all sprouted and survived to maturity.
The Grapefruits were all very different but each nice in their own way whereas the Skunk specials were a little disappointing. They were very close to each other in height, vigour, taste and smell etc, and they yielded very well but the buzz I found boring and short also too strong smelling for my liking.
From all 20 of the Grapefruits one stood out head and shoulders above the rest, very vigorous, fat yields, strong, long lasting energetic high, and although a rich citrus/sour aroma when cured, had a low and undescribable odour when growing. Even late flower.
This is the sixth time out for this girl and I think I've got it dialled in this time, she's not that greedy on the nutes and she also feels the cold.
Can't wait to show her to you all.
HF

Thanks Haps. I'll keep with the weekly updates and maybe step up to twice a week near the end.
I've got to leave them for all of week six as I'm away on an yearly fishing holiday to Scotland. I'll have to set up a recirc system to keep the res level up as they will be using a gallon and a half a day a that point. I've done it before but with a remote gravity fed reservoir and that worked fine, exciting suprise when you come back and see how much they've packed on.
Thanks again.
HF

Your girls look super happy, what an efficient systeme ... how many 5"net pots? did you "lolipop" 'em? ... I realis we'll know in 4 weeks or so how much you harvested, but what is your expected yeild?

of coursse, I hope you get more than anticipated ... good show

Thanks clorox and cannabinofil.
I have 4, 5" netpots with one clone in each, topped twice during the 7 days veg, once at the 4th node and again at the 6th node (5th day).

This is a pic I found of her just after harvest. I think this was the second time out in a mixed grow, so she got cooked a bit as she didn't need the same amount of food as the others.

I've grown her since but I haven't got any pics.
Looking to get 18oz if all goes well.
Thanks for posting.

The taste hmm.. now your making me think about it.
Rich citrus/sour almost over-ripe limes flavour, you just can't leave it alone and it gets a tad racy if you over-do it. Good daytime/work bud, and if you could team it up with a kush for the evening... perfection!
Cheers.
HF

Ok it's been a couple of weeks since the last pics and i've been back from my hols a week now and lets just say things have gone a bit tit's up!
Everything fine with the auto top-off while I was away but we had a very cold period in my absence and they have suffered considerably because of it.
I had heating in place on a thermostat and that seemed to be on constantly but unfortunatly it was not enough to keep the room/box temps in range. I think below 50f in the dark and 65f with lights on which has forced the maturing of the tops of the plants consequently resulting in small top buds which have been hardest hit.
The lower buds seem ok so I will have to see how it go's. It's always the things you don't expect that trip you over and temps were pretty mild when I left them, didn't account for snow and ice, typical!!
I'll post some pics when the upload is back.
HF

Last edited:
Thanks clorox. It's a bad idea mentioning expected yields, the kiss of death, just means a few more £'s on the cost of the holiday, not so bad.
HF

Nanotech

Hi there. GREAT looking plants.
I to am growing Grapefruit in DWC. My motherplant has extremly large fanleaves, that sre blocking out the light from the soon to be cuttings. Can i cut of the fanleaves, so that light get to the brances, that are to be cloned. Or will that chock the plant?.
Hope that you can help me.
Regards Nanotech