What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Australian soil mixes? Help?

joodzr

Hey everyone, I am from Australia and we don't have access to happy frog etc. Can any Aussies help me out with an easy organic mix?... I really only know how to do coco and am after a easy water only mix and am interested in how other Aussies mix there soil or can put me on the right track.
Cheers

h.h.

Veteran
Far, far away. I just did a search using Australian Standard 4419. That one looked the bes of the few I found.t.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My preferred mix these days is roughly 1/3 peat moss or coco coir, 1/3 high quality soil/compost/worm castings and 1/3 perlite. I mix and match a bit and add high quality organic amendments like comfrey leaf, dried kelp and dynamic lifter type pellets mixed into the medium. Then i mulch with lucerne or sugar cane bales.

The peat moss is from Lithuania and the coco coir from Sri Lanka i think but everything else is home grown. I collect the comfrey from beside a public road and my kelp off the beach. Good luck and happy growing!