What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Morocco 2018

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Greetings Hash lovers...

The 2018 Season is upon us, the fruits of 2017 are arriving, so I started this thread so we can see and speak about what is coming out of Morocco, please feel free to contribute, everyone has a different story, contacts..

Here in Barcelona, it seems that the top quality is in short supply, much demand, and prices for the top quality are going up, one club I heard paid e7.5 whereas they were paying 5.5. This may drop as supply increases, but it does sound like a price increase, driven by market forces (more demand than supply for the top quality)

Also, Barbara Bud, multiple cup winer, the hashmakers favourite new strain, has had a bad, year, at least in the area my friend knows about... much lower quality than normal... do not buy Barbara Bud without checking it out first.

Lots of advances in technology, stories of people building giant "washing machines" and chilling equipment arriving to improve the harvest processes.

Also, lots of really shitty BHO made with very dirty Butane, creeping into shitty hash mixes, avoid at all costs.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
yeah i have heard it about strains like ; Amnesia, Amnesia Hz, OG Kush, chocolope, Barabera Bud, Super Lemon Hz, Somango, critical mass (bilbo), GG#4, tangie, strawberry Banana, Banana OG (rare)
, Black Lime reserve ...

5,5 is normaly price but 7,5 is new dimension now with coming ...

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
yeah i have heard it about strains like ; Amnesia, Amnesia Hz, OG Kush, chocolope, Barabera Bud, Super Lemon Hz, Somango, critical mass (bilbo), GG#4, tangie, strawberry Banana, Banana OG (rare)
, Black Lime reserve ...

5,5 is normaly price but 7,5 is new dimension now with coming ...

Yes, but run outdoors in Morocco, and then made into hash, the winners are not the indoor flower winners

Barbara Bud, 24K, Nicole Kush and Cataract Kush seem to be the winners over there... But, it may be that lots of people have had trouble with Barbara.. so tread carefully

george7

It will be such a shame if all this influence of western strains in morroco threatens the traditional morrocan landrace. Although 10 years of now i can picture 70% of morrocan hash will be made from western strains..Modern strains= obviously more yield than the landrace + more potent. More yield=more profit.

Zitz

"Barbara bud" "Nicole Kush" lol...Looks like we'll have to accept most Moroccan hash will be made of western hybrids from here on. Still, I'd rather smoke rif mountain Barbara hash than some hydro Barbara bud.

I'm waiting for the niche market of "pure Moroccan landrace hash"...Maybe there is an old stubbon hash farmer up the mountain that never changed to the new strains, they laugh at him now, but he could get rich!

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
It will be such a shame if all this influence of western strains in morroco threatens the traditional morrocan landrace. Although 10 years of now i can picture 70% of morrocan hash will be made from western strains..Modern strains= obviously more yield than the landrace + more potent. More yield=more profit.

It may well be 70% already, last year people told me it was "around 50% and more and more converting"

I dont think it is about yield... many of the fancy name indoor queens, grown from feminised seeds, under the harsh sun, made into hash, do not perform well... so there is still a lot of expensive, time consuming experimentation that is unwelcome.

I think it is about the market... they have to change, because Europe is no longer buying their hash, we are producing our own weed and the kids prefer to smoke that. I heard stories of gangs in Marbella /Malaga with warehouses full of shitty soap bar (250g cut low quality) because they simply cannot sell it.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Can you still buy unpressed fresh out the skins like back in the day?

Someone showed me some lovely SLH that was "triple filtered" he said it was bought unpressed, they filtered 14 twice more and got 11. Really oily hash, very nice.

well its been happening for ages, and i feel the old world hash is as good as is ever were (just not so populair and harder to find as flower took over)

NotYourSaviour

Just stumbled upon this thread here lately as didn't expect it to be found here due to in my humble opinion wrong section(have a vague feeling why you put it here this time though:biggrin:) and myself more or less sort of suffering from tunnel vision on the hashish one on here.

Anyways, thanks for the head ups everyone:)! As stated several times before myself I agree with what Zitz said, as long as there are people who grew up on traditional moroccan hashish there will be a demand, doesn't matter probably if only a niche. Time will tell.

Saying all that personally I use the dutch coffeeshops market keeping myself up-to-date and go there regularly ; all over the Netherlands and know my way around. Just came back from one trip at the end of last year and talked to contacts in the coffeeshop scene and the black market there.
Latter ones often have supposedly direct connections to farms as they mostly only offer one amazing traditonal quality instead of messing with so many different one(note though: at a certain level is is just highgrade and marginal differencies as in the end a matter of taste) ; enjoyed that thoroughly and sadly missed a supplement as I had to leave – got told the new one coming will put me on my arse which could indicate foreign genetics involved but didn't chase that up for some reasons.
An other one told me there is still some dodgy shit involved regarding coffeeshop trade(not only there obviously) and their shitty name games as for example some people involved sell average indoor hash as highgrade Moroccan with foreign genetics. Or cutting that with low grade to mid grade Moroccan and so on.
Sadly all possible due to many greedy and ruthless people involved, that unregulated illegal coffeeshop trade in itsself and many customers seemingly not giving much of a fuck as long as it sounds good and is new.

When it comes to coffeeshop menus all across the country(exception is indeed Amsterdam and very touristy towns)you still see 50% traditional moroccans around. Sure the new ones taking over slowly but in my humble opinion still a couple of years to go for some reasons.
Don't know if anyone can relate but all those foreign genetics from back in the day as Pakistani, Afghani, Mexican or even Jamaican(never had that one knowingly if memory serves me right)when popping up about fifteen years ago didn't replaced classic moroccan landrace completely even though they obviously had an impact but they didn't take over the market.
Taking them and the new western hybrids into account this is indeed again said scenario of chaotic moroccan genepool at the minute.
So which one will make it in the end? A mish-mash genepool? Fingers crossed there will be a variety and friendly co-existence of all genepools but this is probably wishful thinking.
Legalization again obviously would handle this unregulated market there and everywhere else much, much better.

@Snuicide

Cheers for that, just great!

Keep it up, people!

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Interesting post Notyoursaviour

From what I heard, understand... the Dutch market for Moroccan is mainly gangster controlled, big lorries, very commercial, no real top quality, nothing done for the love of it at all. What I see and hear in Barcelona is pretty different... The nasty big Moroccan gang (La hacieda is the name I have heard referred to) are here, they have a club near Arc de Triomf, but are not a significant force in the market here. In BCN, a lot of smaller players, almost all Hash fanatics, who are obviously dedicated to quality are quietly advancing things... but you will not see much evidence of this in NL...

Most of the varietal hash is pretty rubbish, but certain cultivars are starting to shine through, although, not the indoor flower winners we all know and love.. different names, different plants that can survive the harsh outdoor environment and also make great hash..

DKBuddy

Just 10 years ago one would get 100 bags of regular Marroc and 10 bags of premium.
Nowadays you get 1 bag of premium if lucky, when purchasing the same amount from the same network. "There is no more supply" is all you get to hear.

This seems to be very common in NL these days. The quality is either not being produced anymore or is going to other countries. It doesn't surprise me, because the wholesale prices in NL are too low compared to other European countries. Why would a criminal still sell there.

STRANDvasker

Well start 2000´s in Amsterdam I came across paki and nepali strains grown in Marocco and only that 1 year year after it were already watered down. After that years passed by and some fresh batches came to Amsterdam of these (new strains) at that moment cheese , super lemon haze and similar things happened and since 2012-2013 its been exploding with these strains like barbara bud and critical and what you guys been mentioning. Facts are they in many cases get better yield and then more money and if they then can raise the price even better. Hash in northern parts of europe is still way bigger than weed and it will take very long time before it will be a green and not brown smoking culture here.

STRAND

snuicide

Interesting post Notyoursaviour
From what I heard, understand... the Dutch market for Moroccan is mainly gangster controlled, big lorries, very commercial, no real top quality, nothing done for the love of it at all.

I read that about 65% of the coffeeshops are owned by moroccans
my dutch friends told me the same

NotYourSaviour

@ChaosCatalunya

Cheers. Been to Spain, including Barcelona, as reported in the Imported thread about two years ago. Guided by spanish locals and have seen the qualities on offer which were roughly the same as in the Netherlands ; only about 2-3 € cheaper
in retail.
However, this goes especially for Amsterdam. Generally I would agree that there are lots of people in for easy pickings and not much care ; though you can dig up quite good moroccan hashish if you just know where to go, be it coffeeshops or private connections. It's not too bad at all!

Though I can imagine in Spain it is a lot easier to obtain several qualities due to distance to Morocco and all that ; a tad better stuff is probably available, too.
Less enthusiasm there has to do with terrible profit orientated dutch traders mentality going on since centuries as you just have to look at their history regarding colonies and stuff.

Saying all that a coffeeshop owner being in business since coffeeshop game started and providing good quality told me a few years ago when we were rabbiting about said topic, that he could order extraordinary quality due to strong ties to a moroccan farm in the Rif for twenty grand[twenty grand €] per key but he couldn't sell that at all(grass and hashish is taxed 100% in the Netherlands)as nobody of his custoners would buy this then.
Let alone today his business is mostly directed at customers wanting grass.
Ridiculous price considering an illegal product(sure it is a lot of work though)but apart from that guy not talking shit usually others I spoke to in the business from other shops confirmed such possibilities ; again have to point out that such a scenario and price is imaginably for myself when Morocco would legalise and produces such stuff for a connoseur market popping up then. As said: like wine or certain spirits. Probably much cheaper then, too(farmers paid adequately included).

@DK_Buddy / STRANDvasker

Can't say much about such quantities but remember Bonecarver_OG(deleted account sadly), someone obviously knowing his shit, in the Imported thread on here mentioned that there is a lot of top quality moroccan going to Norway due to buying power there and people paying between 20-30€ a gram.
And I thought hashish from Christiania is expensive in retail(!)when been there a couple of years back when much more stalls were around than today I hear(very similar offerings compared to the dutch market)guys by the way;)!

@snuicide

I think this is a cliche. Spent a lot of time apart from the coffeeshops in Nederland and know a bit about their culture so know that dutchies remain at the wheel, especially with profitable businesses like coffeeshops used to be for a long time at least(too long story, today it is way complicated).
There are a few shops which appear to be moroccan owned but with dutch people in the background as owner.
Sure there are a lot of places moroccan owned but I guess it merely comes up to 50% if at all. You have a source for that? You're not refering to this , aren't you?
By the way only because a coffeeshop is owned by moroccan people doesn't necessarily mean they sell top quality moroccan hashish.
On average this is not the case in my humble opinion but they are often cheaper for a certain normal quality due to many reasons(quantity instead of quality, not many people consume hashish these days compared to back in the day and others, minority of old school smokers buy there and want cheap stuff)but there are certain exceptions with top quality on.
Also on the black market there it is the same with moroccan people though they are more likely to have better connections to certiain producers even though this may sound contradictory. Nationality certainly though has not much to do with having a clue or selling proper top stuff.
I wish to some point!
Although I might come accross as a racist darwinist you guys allow me that non-pc joke(pun intended): a dutchie with moroccan roots takes dutch trad(e)itions and moroccan business sense to a whole new level and I met such people sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad experiences:biglaugh:.

Last edited:

nattyroots

How interesting. In Amsterdam as well this time around I find that the number of hash smokers to weed smokers is getting smaller. There are a lot of hash varieties but not much moves that much. And there's a lot more of 'single strain' hashes as well.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm travelling to Spain this week for a unwelcome long overdue holiday.

I'm looking to get myself the best quality I can. Will I be able to join a club easily or will I have to get bits on the 'streets' for a while until favourable times.. What are the options to holiday makers? In the past I have scored as much as I could of the best local import & buried bits, it was easy to get & the quality compared to bubble wasn't there TBH. I don't want any of this contaminated import that I'm hearing of. Tips for getting into a club are appreciated.

wasgedn

maybe it fits in hee dunno
Just back from another trip to Dam.

Original Dampkring:

That moroccan Asli(14€/g)was indeed a classic blonde hashish from that area as the menu suggests. In fact best resin I picked up in town this trip
smile.gif

Blue Sea:

wanted to check out that place anyway at one point so it was handy it's located next to moroccan restaurant Mozo as I looked for a traditional moroccan dish but was refused elsewhere because of a family celebration going on so ended up here.
Even though the couscous was great apart from some so so mint tea and the place being packed I wouldn't go out of my way for returning here, bit too modern and expensive me thinks.

Anyways, Blue Sea is under moroccan management and down-to-earth owner in his sixties recommended Caramello(10€/g)and something else from his relatively big list of moroccan hashish to me.
Nice enough smoke and the basic place itsself is ok for a quick consumption but nothing more.

Tweede Kamer:

got me some Sketch Block(14€/g)from Morocco. This one is that type of black resin I posted about in the beginning of this year as someone just brought it from the Rif as well(and I know what was paid there as it was top-range price segment). However, Tweede's batch was way oilier and so really hard to work with.
Strength was there but overall impression is a bit sketchy indeed.

Bagheera:

Vicarious embarassment again as that supposedly hashish from Morocco was named Strawberry Banana(15€/g I think). Though I went for it just because it had a special smell. Very sweet and I can see why they used this lame suggestion. Definitely not tasted like those fruits though. Hashish itsself reminded me of those types of classic compressed moroccan still being very resinous if that makes sense.
This one here was obviously from foreign genetics and all in all wasn't too memorable. Nice enough smoke though.

Los Angeles:

another moroccan coffeeshop I frequent every now and then. Run down place but hey at least you can have a fresh moroccan mint tea and they use a proper size of glass for their servings here. Friendly mixed crowd of mostly local arabs and berbers and a bit of a stereotype place with excess of men but there are women going there,too. Owner recommended their light Super Pollen(7€)this time which also was nice enough.

Boerejongens:

Super Silver Haze Block was 9,5€ for a gram. Even though they have this rule of 'At least 10€ for every purchase' they only charged me for that very gram. How generous! Another supposedly light moroccan with foreign genetics. Nice enough smoke again.

Utopia:

Tried that gooey Kashmir Dream(20€/g)because of a bit of variation and all that and it was nice enough charas but a hell of a lot overpriced as usual. Mild uppish high and nice enough taste.

Greenhouse had some moroccan Critical Cream on the menu for relatively okish 10,5€ per gram considering their disgusting price policy and coffeeshops in general so this is really saying something about the availability of some of those new moroccans with foreign genetics.
Couple of years back this type could have been the Gelato from back in the day(crazy how times have changed in the last three to four years).
Especially this nice enough Critical Cream seems to be all over the place in the whole country and elsewhere(except for my neck of the woods of course) if you get my drift
wink.gif
Green Place taking the biscuit again this time(and many times in the past)as selling supposedly imported Gelato from the Usa for cheap 40€/g. Took a look at it and it indeed smelt different and looked promising. Not as promising as this would justify this insane price though but more like that this grass is at least looking like grass should look and smell like in opposite to many schwag grass sold at dutch coffeeshops these days for a now standard price of 15€/g and more(while still not be able to compete with it).
Wonder who's to blame here either those ruthless businessmen or customers 'cool enough' to fall for such nonsense
biglaugh.gif

Kadinsky, Barney's, New Times, Siberie, Resin(shop should be renamed at that poor selection and quality), Bluebird, Katsu and Stone's had nothing on I fancied. Just realised I didn't get any grass this trip but am sure didn't miss anything at all
wink.gif

Spent some time for the very first time after the closure at De Graal which reopened as a bar about two or three months ago according to staff(didn't see many familiar faces though).
They also offer some french stuff like quiches, too.
All in all even though they changed a small bit about interior they in my humble opinion maintained the atmosphere of back in the day well, also spotted some regulars if memory serves me right.
Nice one
smile.gif