What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's up with feminized seeds? Are they legit?

Benvanboro

New to popping beans, I've always had access to good clones but I want to go on my own path now..
I'm curious about feminized seeds, are they any good? I have heard about some hermie issues but nothing extensive.
I'm looking for a good OG strain, or any heavy indica flavors specifically. Hopefully you guys can help me out! Should I bother with feminized seeds or just get to popping regs??
Thank's for your time/input!! Cheers!

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Feminized seeds are made by reversing the sex of a female using chemicals, so no male genetics to produce male seeds.

Benvanboro

Feminized seeds are made by reversing the sex of a female using chemicals, so no male genetics to produce male seeds.

Is there any known problem's or issues with using them? Doesn't sound like a very natural process, does this effect the final results in any way?

Chillin12

All my beans were feminized. Autos and photos. If you get them from a seed bank, you will get good results. If you don't stress your plants you won't have to worry too much about hermies.

The guy at the hydro store says he is on his 30th generation of clones from his Swiss cheese feminized seeds with no problems.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Feminized seeds are as good as the plants used to make them. Some plants when selfed, and some female : female hybrids, produce intersex offspring. Some others produce offspring with no intersex.

Intersex is a heritable trait like any other.

I've found some great plants in feminized seeds, and made faster breeding advancements using female : female hybrids. It's a great tool in the breeder's handbook.

III%

I've always had good luck with fem seeds.

The only seed brand I have ever had a lot of herms from is connoisseur genetics, I'm not complaining too much because ojd makes great plants but the few I have tried all had phenos that her med and seeded itself and other plants.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm a seed poppin fool... In the spring...
Never used Feminized seeds but will be this year. Since most of the Fems I have are from breeders with excellent reputations for quality gear I have high expectations from them.

Like begets like, in my experience.
Therefore, seeds made from herm prone mothers will produce herm prone offspring.

Benvanboro

I've always had good luck with fem seeds.

The only seed brand I have ever had a lot of herms from is connoisseur genetics, I'm not complaining too much because ojd makes great plants but the few I have tried all had phenos that her med and seeded itself and other plants.

Thanks for that, I was looking at some of there seeds. I have had a bunch of people message me privately saying how wack feminized seeds are and that the only way to go is reg seed. I really don't understand this information because the market is SO saturated with feminized seeds. Some of the best genetic breeders that exist in this country have feminized versions of every strain, if not only feminized versions!

Benvanboro

Feminized seeds are as good as the plants used to make them. Some plants when selfed, and some female : female hybrids, produce intersex offspring. Some others produce offspring with no intersex.

Intersex is a heritable trait like any other.

I've found some great plants in feminized seeds, and made faster breeding advancements using female : female hybrids. It's a great tool in the breeder's handbook.

Are there any specific known companies or strains that are known to produce "hermies" that I should stay away from?
Thank you for the info! Everyone that is telling me not to use feminized seeds has no information or reason for what they are saying. Lol

810FireFarm

they used to made by extra stressing which was unstable and hermies

now they are made by chemically reversing a stable female

some try reversing a male for testing breeding traits

Benvanboro

they used to made by extra stressing which was unstable and hermies

now they are made by chemically reversing a stable female

some try reversing a male for testing breeding traits

Ok cool, so it sounds like as long as you go with a well respected/trusted breeder it doesn't really matter, if anything it sounds like feminized seeds are the way to go. If you can clone from them, mother them, flower them with no issue and always get females.. Why wouldn't you?

Ive grown Serious, Sa nn ies, Ace, Sin City, IHG, all fems. I've had a banana here and there but zero problems along with good germ and robustness.

FRZ Tangerines fem:

Benvanboro

Yea I'm going to give it a go! Looking at Humboldt Seeds Org- Saphire OG, DNA- Kosher Kush, and Karma Genetics- Headstash. I really want some TGA beans as well so I will probably end up with some fem genetics and some reg! Thanks for all the input everybody!

plantingplants

Attitude seedbank has an hso promo right now. You get free HSO OG Kush if you order any other HSO seeds. I think 10 OGK for every 25 you order, unlimited. No idea if their OGK is any good though.