What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

changing my 600w hps to led..

Scorp1on

Aiming at keeping my temp cooler in the summer...I was thinking of doing the switch to LED light...

Ive done some reading but damn...there's so many choice and alot of new one too

My goal is to change some of my 600w hps to led.

Im running 9x cooled 600w HPS and all my 600w cover 3x3, in the summer my temperature rise around 26-29C so I need to lower by 3-5C.

I was thinking of changing 3 of my 600hps to led and see what happen, and maybe later will change the others...what would you recommend?

here is a pic of my room,also next run Ill be running all SOG no more scrog

CMH maybe...

CMH maybe...

I have not tried LED.

With that said, I can highly endorse 315w CMH in this case.

Replace every other lamp with a 315 CMH. In my couple year experience running both, the CMH very nearly matches the yield of a quality 600W HPS.

CMH DOES FINISH A WEEK SOONER THAN HPS. Every time. That is a little more than 10% revenue increase if that is what the garden is for.

More important though, CMH 315 has half the heat output compared to a 600 HPS. And, half the electric power. :dance013:

Muleskinner

Veteran
I'm going to replace my 600w HPS with two 320 watt LED's. The wattage remains the same, the heat should go down by 25-30% I think?

Redbuddz

Hey Scorp. I was also contemplating making the switch to LED. There are so MANY types that in the end I just gave up. you will likely still need to have some type of room exhaust because LED's do emit heat, just not nearly as much as HID lighting

Scorp1on

Hey Scorp. I was also contemplating making the switch to LED. There are so MANY types that in the end I just gave up. you will likely still need to have some type of room exhaust because LED's do emit heat, just not nearly as much as HID lighting

yeah but right now im using 3x 6inch vortex fan...1 fan for 3x600w...so I was thinking of removing 1 of the fan with 3 hps

Scorp1on

I have not tried LED.

With that said, I can highly endorse 315w CMH in this case.

Replace every other lamp with a 315 CMH. In my couple year experience running both, the CMH very nearly matches the yield of a quality 600W HPS.

CMH DOES FINISH A WEEK SOONER THAN HPS. Every time. That is a little more than 10% revenue increase if that is what the garden is for.

More important though, CMH 315 has half the heat output compared to a 600 HPS. And, half the electric power. :dance013:

that sound like a good path to take, ill do some reading thx

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I switched over from HPS to Cree and Bridgelux COB leds and haven't looked back. The light spectrum is amazing, and they produce so much less heat. I've seen the Fluence SpyderX in person as well and can say they are also incredible. The sooner you make the switch the happier you will be once you see what they can do.

-Funk

Scorp1on

I switched over from HPS to Cree and Bridgelux COB leds and haven't looked back. The light spectrum is amazing, and they produce so much less heat. I've seen the Fluence SpyderX in person as well and can say they are also incredible. The sooner you make the switch the happier you will be once you see what they can do.

-Funk

thx, I cant wait to do the switch but I dont wanna spend a ton of cash. Ive been looking into mars hydro led.

https://www.mars-hydro.com/ca/led-grow-light/mars-ii/mars-ii-700-led-grow-light-ca.html
This one is covering 3x3, exactly what I need, but it compare to a 350hps.

https://www.mars-hydro.com/ca/led-grow-light/mars-ii/mars-ii-1200-led-grow-light-ca.html
This one is covering 4x4, but compare to a 600w hps.

I guess my question is, should I look more into the covering area or the wattage? In fact I need to cover 3x9, and i fear it might affect my yield...if I go too low

Koondense

Veteran
The real question is how much you want to spend for the lights.
I think for replacing 3 600s, two spectrum king 600s should work(if they perform like advertised). A bit pricey though.
The other real question is would you consider building your own light:)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I too am looking at some led's... seems mars prices are pretty good, pretty good reviews on amazon... BUT... only a 1year warr...

seeing these VIPARSPECTRA led's, about same price, also pretty good reviews, but they give a '3' year warr...

of course if they close up shop prior to the 3years u are $hit outta luck, but they have been around for some years...

Scorp1on

The real question is how much you want to spend for the lights.
I think for replacing 3 600s, two spectrum king 600s should work(if they perform like advertised). A bit pricey though.
The other real question is would you consider building your own light:)

haha I knew it was coming...but no I dont wanna build it

Desert Hydro

Veteran
BUILD BUILD BUILD!

Attachments

• IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 20
Naaa... sorry

Naaa... sorry

I'm going to replace my 600w HPS with two 320 watt LED's. The wattage remains the same, the heat should go down by 25-30% I think?

With things like lighting, you can just consider that watts of electrical power convert to heat.

If you replace a 600W HPS with 2 315W lamps, you will have a bit more heat to deal with.

Same with LED lights. If you replace a 600W lamp with LED lamps that consume about 600W, you will have about the Same amount of heat to deal with.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
With things like lighting, you can just consider that watts of electrical power convert to heat.

If you replace a 600W HPS with 2 315W lamps, you will have a bit more heat to deal with.

Same with LED lights. If you replace a 600W lamp with LED lamps that consume about 600W, you will have about the Same amount of heat to deal with.

im gonna have to respectfully disagree there. the efficiency factor is what makes COBs run cooler watt per watt than HPS and the fact that you dont have to match the HID watt for watt with high efficiency COB lighting. With HID lighting only 30% of the wattage(give or take and new DE may be better idk) gets turned into usable light. the rest just produces heat. with the right COB setup you can see upwards of 60+% efficiency. most COB users (and data) will back up that 600-800w of cobs over a 4x4 is the standard for ultimate GPW efficiency. a 1kw HID burns like 1100w at the wall and produces a fuck ton(metric for a whole lot) of heat. i am now vegging with ~300w in a 4x4 and slaying it. even when i turned the fan off to see how hot it would get it was mid 80's sealed and like a sauna and the plants LOVED it lol. i popped $500 worth of seeds on top of my COBS with no fans. could you do that with even a 4' 8 bulb t5? hell no.

that being said, most premade units arent as efficient unless they are really expensive. im averaging about $1500 to cover a 4x8 when its all said and done but im cutting my wattage burned in half and cutting my heat production by almost half as well. to some of us that matters a great deal. it might cost me 10K to do my next build of 8 4x8's but i know that one 4x8 will pay me back and then some so im not too worried about it ;)

Hi Desert Hydro

I hear what you are saying, and I agree. ( Well, except for the part where you disagree LOL...)

However what I said is also true. What I'm saying is... the amount of heat produced in the room is directly related to the amount of electrical power used.

Considering typical electrical equipment, it is pretty safe to say that you have to deal with all electrical power consumed as heat. Pumps, lights, fans. A 1200W heater will heat a room just as quickly as a lamp that consumes 1200W of power.

Conservation of energy. The rule of thermodynamics.

Let's say you have a room that you are pumping 2kW/hour of power in to. The only output is some plant material and heated air. The amount of heated air you need to deal with is directly related to the amount of power you put in. If you increase the power you put in to 3kWh, by adding 1000W of LED lighting, or 1000W of HID lighting, you will have similar amount of heat.

I do agree that you get a ton more light per watt with LEDs then you do with HPS or MH.

Last edited:

Desert Hydro

Veteran
yeah i get what you are saying. BTUs are BTUs. I just know that not many people match HID watt for watt with LED. thats the awesome part about LED. we can put out more usable light with less watts and less total cooling cost. thats why im taking the plunge and spending a whole lot of hard earned money into switching over. i would like to have 10 4x8s all run with COBs. right now im about to be at 2 lol plus a 4x4 veg

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I have been running a hybrid garden since 2011 when LED became more intense than HID.
I still have 1200 watts CMH in the budroom, alongside 1200 watts of Black Dog LED.
The wattage, 400 watts per unit for both, causes heat in different ways.

The LED heats up an aluminum heat sink which is cooled by moving air which then needs removed from the room. Direct one step cooling keeping the heat moving along an efficient path.

The CMH radiates heat into the walls, ceiling, floor, tables, and plants. This requires airflow over each and ever recipient of heat, then a whole room air exchange to put the heat outside.
This takes considerable more air movement and to remove heat from all the surfaces requires much cooler air. So even though the wattage is the same, in side by side measurements the LED is six degree F easier to cool than the CMH,

Third generation hybrid garden, two generations of discharge light gardens before that.

Still use five each T5's for UVB, single tube 46" with 120 degree polished reflectors. For a mere $500 three of these could be replaced with a 105 watt Lumitex UVA/UVB LED bar.
I want one bad.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Stond_Face - I have to disagree with you regarding heat output in the context of HID vs LED. I have a 415w Truth M9 light I use to replace my 400w MH/HPS. I also have a 540w Johnson CX9 light I use to replace my 600w MH/HPS. The heat difference is night and day. Airflow and air extraction keep temperatures very steady. I used HID for years and could not grow in the summer because of the heat. That is not the case with LED because they are the most efficient light source right now at converting electrons into photons.

-Funk

Hi Desert Hydro

I hear what you are saying, and I agree. ( Well, except for the part where you disagree LOL...)

However what I said is also true. What I'm saying is... the amount of heat produced in the room is directly related to the amount of electrical power used.

Considering typical electrical equipment, it is pretty safe to say that you have to deal with all electrical power consumed as heat. Pumps, lights, fans. A 1200W heater will heat a room just as quickly as a lamp that consumes 1200W of power.

Conservation of energy. The rule of thermodynamics.

Let's say you have a room that you are pumping 2kW/hour of power in to. The only output is some plant material and heated air. The amount of heated air you need to deal with is directly related to the amount of power you put in. If you increase the power you put in to 3kWh, by adding 1000W of LED lighting, or 1000W of HID lighting, you will have similar amount of heat.

I do agree that you get a ton more light per watt with LEDs then you do with HPS or MH.

Do i have this right?
By your logic a 1000watt heater produces the same amount of heat as 1000 watt LED.