What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dank Zappa by Bodhi

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I'm really intrigued with this newish strain from Bodhi which is a cross of (86UW Black Hashplant x 88G13/HP). I've been really intrigued with this strain since hearing about it, especially since there are some 86UW leaning phenos to be found. Some of you are probably sick of hearing me talk about it at this point but I'm on the lookout for a special smell and terpene profile that can be found on the mom's side that is said to smell like burning trash/plastic/rubber. I've only come across that smell one other time and that was from an MK Ultra from seed which I didn't keep and was several years ago at this point. I plan on germinating the Zappa's next but am still several weeks out from having the space. I still want to research and learn about it as much as I can though as far as how it grows, stature, what phenos to be looking for, etc. Any internet searching I've done has only turned up maybe a handful of threads with the majority being the first version of the cross that has since been canned because the original father, a Deadly G cut of 88G13/HP, came out too dominant in the cross. I've very excited to hunt on down this line and see what there is to be found on that weird atypical smell and terp profile that I described. Any and all help/input/info would be welcome. Thanks guys :yes:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Copy and paste from another thread regarding the Mother used in the cross. :yes:

I know a bit about the UW cut, I knew the grower family that got it smuggled out of the UW. It was a true Afghany.
My buddies Pete, and Dave (RIP), and dad John (engineering professor at the UW) got that cut in 1978.
One of the beefiest, tasty sweet indica's ever.
My Jihad cut is directly from the mother UW cut, and I grew the UW cut for 11 years, up till I got busted in 91, and lost everything.
I was able to recover my Jihad cut in 96, but could never recover the UW cut.

There is a strong possibility that there are a number of varieties taken out of the UW.
Hard enough for any grower to stick with one strain or cut, can only assume that at least a dozen varieties were taken out.
I would.

Hell yeah, cool story and history - minus the getting busted. Any more info on your Jihad cut or crosses. Isn't the Khalisi yours as well and is a cross using the Jihad right? You ever come across any burning rubber or trash phenos out of that lot?

Khalisi is indeed from the old Jihad cut.
None of Jihads prodigy thus far have any kind of "nasty" phenos.
Jihad itself is sweet pepper hash all day.
All were crosses though, nothing pure to breed back into.
I'm hopeful that a cross into my Grapestomper or Kosher Kush males will unlock her deep afghany genetics, but time will tell.

Last edited:

Cannavore

Veteran
Ghash itself can smell like burnt rubber. Odds of finding something with burnt rubber smells seem pretty good if both parents sport it. Just my two cents..

Pop them bitches :)

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
just boning up...

I need to do a grow report on Dank Zappa and several other strains too. I'll get around to it eventually. I have all the pics from the whole grow but it's just the matter of organizing everything and putting it together. Soon (ish?)

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are lots of og's and especially chem's that give off a very heavy and distinct burnt rubber smell. These are the smell profiles I have gleaned from reading about 5000 pages of bodhis posts:

Watermelon pheno, soap pheno, garlic pheno, spicy pheno, and "extremely" fruity. 2 users have confirmed the watermelon pheno which is what I bought my 3 packs to find and the 3rd to report it was bodhi himself.

I really look forward to what you find as I have moved these to the back burner given the majority of reports I have seen have centered around the terpene profiles I have no interest in.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
There are lots of og's and especially chem's that give off a very heavy and distinct burnt rubber smell. These are the smell profiles I have gleaned from reading about 5000 pages of bodhis posts:

Watermelon pheno, soap pheno, garlic pheno, spicy pheno, and "extremely" fruity. 2 users have confirmed the watermelon pheno which is what I bought my 3 packs to find and the 3rd to report it was bodhi himself.

I really look forward to what you find as I have moved these to the back burner given the majority of reports I have seen have centered around the terpene profiles I have no interest in.

I've got plenty of good crosses to work through in the mean time on the hunt for the weird smells I'm after. Yes, the Dank Zappa was nothing at all like I was hoping for. I ended up with Soap phenos across the board with my one I settle on running again being still a little soapy but having some funk to it. I guess you could say there is some spice in there as well on one or two of them but no garlic that I'm aware of. I need to whiff the jars again to confirm. I'm going to F2 the line using the keeper male and female but I don't anticipate keeping the female I have any longer than it takes to throw some Star Dawg IX pollen on it and move one. :2cents:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I told myself that I'm not going to buy anymore seeds but after reading about it some more I want to try and get my mitts on some G13 cuts and crosses in seed form to sift through. :2cents:

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey who dat is, I was just looking for the makeup of this strain the other day in DTOG's thread. Glad I stumbled on this. Hashplant oh yes needs that back in my life. Heard about the UW's HP but I was only able to try Sensi's Hashplant back in the day and its my absolute favorite strain ever so far in my life. Sorry to hear you got the soapy phenos. Hopefully other find better in their packs. Great plan on crossing it to a stinker ;) and GL also hunting down some G13 cuts (the airbourne one right?). Almost had a pure cut of it back on Overgrow, did manage to grow 1 50/50 hybrid and it was strong but not too stinky. Will you continue on this thread or start another cause i'd like to pull a seat up. Take care 1

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey who dat is, I was just looking for the makeup of this strain the other day in DTOG's thread. Glad I stumbled on this. Hashplant oh yes needs that back in my life. Heard about the UW's HP but I was only able to try Sensi's Hashplant back in the day and its my absolute favorite strain ever so far in my life. Sorry to hear you got the soapy phenos. Hopefully other find better in their packs. Great plan on crossing it to a stinker ;) and GL also hunting down some G13 cuts (the airbourne one right?). Almost had a pure cut of it back on Overgrow, did manage to grow 1 50/50 hybrid and it was strong but not too stinky. Will you continue on this thread or start another cause i'd like to pull a seat up. Take care 1

What did you like about sensi's so much? what was the smell?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran

Have you gone through my grow thread in my signature? I posted most of my Dank Zappa pictures on there.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Alright, time for a big ol' picture dump.

6/23/16
picture.php

6/26/16
picture.php

6/27/16
picture.php

7/8/16
picture.php

8/7/16
picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
8/11/16 - Full lineup

picture.php

8/27/16 - Remaining males

picture.php

9/11/16 - Culled another and trimmed up the two to run to fit in the isolation chamber.

picture.php

9/12/16
picture.php

10/1/16
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts