What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

H2O2 in coco

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
Yeah, if you add enough H2O2, the chlorine smell dissipates. I'm sure there's still trace amounts but not anywhere near enough to piss your plants off.

I doubt the problems are chlorine unless it's a hella lot. What symptoms are the plants showing?

afghanica

I use it weekly during the summer, when relative humidity is high. In the past I've had some issues with algae in my coco and the peroxide kills it. It also combats fungus gnats.
I also use dilute peroxide when cloning. It adds essential oxygen which accelerates root development, and keeps pathogens like mold at bay.
I think the argument about micro-organisms has little merit when growing in coco with chemical nutes like Canna.

~fvk~

Yeah dude, works great at killing off aerobic activity in the res too... Sick of replacing air stones? Use H2O2...

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Yeah, if you add enough H2O2, the chlorine smell dissipates. I'm sure there's still trace amounts but not anywhere near enough to piss your plants off.

I doubt the problems are chlorine unless it's a hella lot. What symptoms are the plants showing?

Hi fvk

They lost colour, greenness, but no other great symptoms IIRC. I changed the regime slightly so the water aired for longer, added more N/P pH- as opposed to P pH- [GHE's buffered N&P pH- not Nutriculture's purely Phosphoric] ... bringing pH down from 6.2 to 5.8....and added slightly more Canna Coco A+B [up to 2ml/L] .. things got better, so my friends switched into flowering & all recovered well enough.

As I changed several things it is hard to know what part fixed it, it was all done on a best guess / good practice basis, in a friends garden I see 1x a week at most.

Next time I will get them to try a H2O2 experiment on part of the crop/plants to see if it helps.

~fvk~

Glad to hear you guys got things under control. I think lowering your ph was a good idea for one and it may be that you needed to increase the number of feedings and spread out the original EC strength among them. Know what I mean? Might have been getting too thirsty and not fed enough. Like I said, it'd take a hella lot of chlorine to piss them off.

Recently i had some fungus gnats and attempted to kill them by flushing the coco with straight 3%, followed by normal watering. While it definitely wiped out alot of the gnats, the plants have been slowly looking worse and worse each day. Leaves yellowing and curling up at the ends.

Do you think that by not cutting the 3% solution i essentially have burned the plants out? At this point it is hard to tell if they will recover. Coupled with this the humidity has been real low (15-20%) so i was considering that as the cause but leaning towards the H2O2 because the plants seems fine in low RH before i used it. It was drug store product.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Mosquito dunk should be all you need for gnats.

I haven't used it straight I would think that would likely harm a plant.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I hate those bugs.

I have used 2 ml h2o2 per pint (double previous stated strength) without negative consequence.

On cuts and plants.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Wiped out fungus gnats with a ratio of 1:4 3% h2o2:water. Thinking about adding it to every rez from now on.

B.T. Herb

as far as i know, if you' re growing in coco coir using Canna as solution

-Perk said he did so-

you should avoid adding H2O2.I'm not really a chemist but i used to read the warning on the schedules ...by the way! have a look to the indication reported

all the best