What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long does it take a seed to ripen?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
From the point a female plant is pollinated, how long does it take to finish a dark plump seed that will likely germinate?

I've been reading into it and seem to hear various answers to this question... 2-4 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 4-6 weeks, etc. I'm sure strain and growing conditions factor in, but how long for you guys on average?

My breeder females flower right alongside my males than I chop the males down after a few weeks. This gives them around 6 weeks to finish and at least 95% of the seeds are dark and germinate at a high rate.

This year I want to keep the males separate from the females then dust a few lower branches with pollen so all the buds aren't full of seeds. Trying to figure out the ideal time to do this...

GoatCheese

Veteran
I'd keep them maturing for atleast 6 weeks, personally i let them go atleast 7 weeks. I read that longer maturing time will give the seeds longer shelf life.

Treevly

From the point a female plant is pollinated, how long does it take to finish a dark plump seed that will likely germinate?

I've been reading into it and seem to hear various answers to this question... 2-4 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 4-6 weeks, etc. I'm sure strain and growing conditions factor in, but how long for you guys on average?

My breeder females flower right alongside my males than I chop the males down after a few weeks. This gives them around 6 weeks to finish and at least 95% of the seeds are dark and germinate at a high rate.

This year I want to keep the males separate from the females then dust a few lower branches with pollen so all the buds aren't full of seeds. Trying to figure out the ideal time to do this...

Congratulations on posting a four-paragraph question with capitalization and punctuation. In the internet age, that may be a record - and a very good question!

troutman

Seed Whore
I let my seeded females go until the plant is basically dead.

Just know the longer you go the more nice seeds you'll have.

When the calyxes start drying up you'll be where you want to be. :tiphat:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I'd keep them maturing for atleast 6 weeks, personally i let them go atleast 7 weeks. I read that longer maturing time will give the seeds longer shelf life.

This exactly.

Also when making seeds the plant has different nutrient requirements. Boron for example is one to look into.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I usually go 6 weeks for good measure but they’re probably mature sooner than that. I also harvest the buds w/ seeds and let the buds dry before removing seeds. I don’t know if they mature any further during that period but it helps in drying them and makes it easier to harvest.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
I was always told at least 5 weeks, so for a 9 week strain I would dust at 3 weeks flower, then possibly again at 4 weeks.

GoatCheese

Veteran
This exactly.

Also when making seeds the plant has different nutrient requirements. Boron for example is one to look into.
Yea, i've also read that they need little more Nitrogen when they're making seeds than when growing sensimilla.
This is what i've done and just got around 95% germ rate with fairly large number of seeds; mostly healthy looking seedlings.

andl

i did exactly this, pollinate just some branches of females, worked good need fresh pollen.

pollen:

collect pollen and dry, seal (best vacuumed?!) with silcia gel put in fridge or freezer MUST BE BONE DRY, when pollen gets wet it useless. avoid moisture.

seeds:

pollinate between day 24-32 let go for 5+ weeks i think not all seeds are ripe at the same time.

depends how matured/developed your plant is and how many seeds you want to make.

cut branch with seeds let dry like you would ordinarry 10-14 days, then collect seeds and let them dry another 2-3 weeks, then store dark, cool and moisture free.

this hits about 60-70 days cycle of a plant (flowering)

depends also on conditions and plant as you said, thats true.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IME,
Once pollinated I've seen absolute healthy plants take anywhere from, roughly, 28 to 35 days to finish seed.

However, since a lot of folks have a hard time keeping plants in perfect health I recommend 6 weeks minimum to make up for any slow downs in seeds ripening.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I don't think you can wait "too long". What would happen in nature? A plant gets pollinated. Then it grows seeds. Then it dies and those seeds drop to the ground where the cycle repeats.

I guess what I meant to ask is when's the latest I can pollinate before harvest, ideally when the plant has put out more receptive pistols than when it first began flowering and the calyxes are swelling up and wanting to receive pollen. I grow outdoors and harvest when the buds are fully ripe. Don't like to go past that because of mold and rot.

But yeah, you're right. In nature pollination would begin as soon as the flowers are receptive and continues until the plants death or all calyxes are full of seeds. Seeds are naturally supposed to be germinated the following season not preserved for years, but humans are good at bending the rules of nature.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seed maturation typically takes 40 days. I have seen some take longer.

harvesting times of 70 days or less should be hit at 30 days. You could end up with allot of immature seeds if hit to late. The earlier you do it the better. I do mine at 35 days on plants that finish in 70 days.

If doing Sativas you could wait all the way to 60 days depending on finishing times. If you always give the seeds a min of 40 days u will be fine. Always check seeds before harvesting them all.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
There is a problem to watch out for though.if you dust too early, and let the plant go, then as the first seeds become mature, they split the calyx and it dies off and dries. The moisture the bud is releasing can then start to rot the dead calyx material and you'll develop bud rot.
It may not be an issue for outdoor or low humidity breeders, but its an issue in a damp climate if you aren't careful.

B

beanz

There is a problem to watch out for though.if you dust too early, and let the plant go, then as the first seeds become mature, they split the calyx and it dies off and dries. The moisture the bud is releasing can then start to rot the dead calyx material and you'll develop bud rot.
It may not be an issue for outdoor or low humidity breeders, but its an issue in a damp climate if you aren't careful.

spot on

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We def have low rh here in cali. I wouldn't hit anything younger than 30 days. The flowers are just not developed enough. When your flowers are about the size of a quarter with plenty of pistils present which is about 30 days your good.