What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Hippy Seed Collection "The Jar"

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
Look what I found the other day!

Talking with an Old Hippy (Steve) that I met through a friend about a week ago, he revealed he had something worth taking a look at. I was sure what do you have?... never did I think he would pull out "The Jar" as he called it. 1000s of Bag Seeds he has been collecting since 1981. Every time he would find seeds in buds he would toss them in this jar. The other great part is these seeds have been collected from the East to West coast. He has lived all over the country so there is countless variety in this Jar. Just from looking at the seeds you can see how many different lines there is. He said he hasnt put any in there for the last 5 yrs, "buds no longer have seeds in them!" He almost sounded disappointed :laughing:.

He let me take "The Jar" to sort through them and keep a fair amount.. "Im getting far to old to make use of them all... I want someone to experience all the joy I have found from it. So f*cking TAKE IT!" I laughed and happily agreed to test some ASAP.

I have no clue how old some of the seeds are in here... after sorting there was a small handful of black dead and rotted.. which I cleaned out for him and made my selections.. Hand picked 500. Then took a few scoops from each plate that was from a different level, it amazes me how far back in time each level / scoop may go. Very interested on what could be hiding in the large collection.

Now the only thing I'm concerned about is germination... anyone's guess how old some of these seeds may be.

SGS :thank you: STEVE!

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
I'd find a nice open area with good soil and lots of sun and plant a whole plate full ;)
start pheno hunting Weeeeeeee !

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
With 500 Mystery Beans from an Old Hippy Seed Collection, I could, dare I say it... rule the world! Mwaahahahhahahhahaha!

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
With 500 Mystery Beans from an Old Hippy Seed Collection, I could, dare I say it... rule the world! Mwaahahahhahahhahaha!

:laughing:
500 I hand picked over 2 hours... being careful to select as many different varieties I could see and there is defiantly a vast variety!

But i have the scoops as well.. at least 2000+ more seeds. to pick from.:woohoo:

SGS

B

Bob Green

Yes!!!

I know a few hippies with The Jar and dream about that shit!

Outstanding score sir!

C

Cannabisso

Look for small, dark seeds. These could be some extraordinary Mexicans :peacock:
The really large ones could be interesting as well.

I think for germinating these old seeds your best option would be to pre-soak them for 12-24 hours and then directly sow them outdoors. Good luck.

browntrout

Veteran
THat's quite interesting, likely some very very nice strains in there.

Many people hate growing bag seed as there is no history included, however a lot of nice strains come form bag seed.

Cheers,

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Some might disagree, but in my experience, you don't want to soak seeds for more than 24 hours. There are several threads on here about germing old seeds. Good luck!

FireIn.TheSky

Thats really interesting, you could have the possibility at something totally awesome, but you could also sort thru thousands of junk seed.

What kind of weed did this guy smoke, did he always buy the best of the best or did he buy shwag? or did he just buy and smoke anything?

WelderDan

Veteran
So much potential. Literally anything could pop up from that bonanza of seed. I hope you get a decent germ rate. Certainly some gems in all that.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Got me looking through some old film canisters. Remember those? Remember film?:biggrin:

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
Thanks everyone! I knew it would be well accepted ,, had to post it up!

As for the guy and what seeds he put in it.. as far as i know.. all he said was every time he got buds with seeds in it the seeds went in "The Jar"... so could be anything in there. I did get the feeling he knows his weed and only liked good stuff.. not the kinda guy that would just smoke whatever he could find. Pretty sure he didnt just smoke dirt weed. But never know.. there might be a grip of worthless strains in there but odds are there are some killer keepers as well! FINGERS CROSSED!

Im gonna start testing this week... only got room in the veg area for 8 seeds so ya i know thats a super low number to start with but got no more room than that.. it will give me an idea of how many different lines there are in there.. im going to try and select 1 a totally distinct different line with each of the 8.. some are very easy to pick out. Some seeds are super small and i mean tiny! 10 seeds is only the size of 4 average seeds.. I only seen that a few times on some pure Sativas. Others are normal size but deffo different,, color and overall shapes and markings.. some are HUGE fat seeds ... then there are some of average size but grey in color with distinct markings. Having bred seeds for yrs it helps identify different lines just by looking at the seeds.. im sure I may get some that are the same line just a slight different looking seed but hey im doing my best :woohoo:

JELLY... whats film?!?!?
:laughing:

I will keep this thread going along with all results of every seed that is tested out of "The Jar"

SGS

Latest posts

Latest posts