What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Say Cheese Girls"

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello cannagraphic folk. Got just a bit bored as of late, not much happening, getting older, dunno about wiser. Had some good times this year with some close mates I had not seen for a while but I started to miss the girls...

So I thought I'd start a diary journal thingy by special request.

Just so happens a few weeks back I had some cuttings that looked like they needed to be flowered

Here we are @ the day of flip.

If you what to know whats been happening up to now to get here or want me to take some pic's i'll try my best.

Lights 600w HPS New Osram Bulb day of 12-12

Pots 40's

So far it's water. Superthrive & Maxicrop alternated every other day. Standard practice for me. Like if it ain't broke don't fix it. :biggrin:

Stick along for the ride co's these babies are about to kick off into some FAT buds.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Things are starting to happen fast as can possibly be done now the lights have been cut back from 24-0 to 12-12.

12 12 is the cut off for all short day photosensitive plants as far as I am aware and will shock all of them to flower faster by weeks indoors. 'Maybe bamboo is an exception'..

I usually do veg on 24-0 because the plants are shorter fatter and things happen faster for me, it helps me shape them better and train the leaders for the canopy and get good centres. I under-prune all the strong leads to the top 3 primordia, I leave all the fans on Cheese. Other strains I remove some fans.. I tend to 'Supercrop' or pinch the central/apical shot in the node gaps as well as the base of the others if they get too big/tall, this helps to keep the colas in place in the canopy when they are full and evens out the canopy better than anything whilst increasing the cambium increasing the size of the bud.. They are generally all closer together with less internode space grown like this and the plant is in a 'heterosis state' as it's been especially pruned to promote flowering with all the tops competing against one another, I find that this keeps the plants candelabra ish. They flat top naturally and interweave each other into a locking mesh of bud.
:biggrin:
Keeping the base of the plant as I do the side branches far out yield the main apical stem. I think primaraly due to the size of the cambium layer achieved in shaping the plant. It consumes far more water this way I am certain of it.....

That basically explains how I get my plants to shape from clone.

I prefer to transplant into the final container as this shapes the plants much faster and they grow quicker however soil is often needed via top dressing mid grow, alternatively only 1/2 fill and add back. :) Both work well as does using a 1 or 3 litre pot for pre veg, 3 litres being optimal for the centres and branch thickness. Veg time varies over the times of the year and with the various potting schemes mentioned..

One of the things I do to the plants is foliar feed them before lights on with Maxicrop up to 10 days of flower.. It maximises the chlorophyll production gaining much needed vital energy for the first 6 weeks getting the most possible from the soil and the best explosion of growth and controlled stretch..

If you don't do this already try it on a test plant in the corner as in tests it's proved to increase the chlorophyll by 15%. I feel it prevents the plants prematurely fading in the last weeks...

I've never had the same growth rates from coco or hydro that I see from my dirt grows. I've never gotten the best weed from anything other than soil.

The dirt just kicks off faster than anything else.. If you can keep up.. There is no contest folks.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another thing I do daily before watering is cultivate the soil surface of the pots daily to a depth of 2-3." With my fingers acting as a rake. I think this aerates the soil intern it helps the plants feel better and helps the water be used faster and keeps the plants cooler and it stops the 'Crust' you get when cycling Wet-Dry instead of keeping them nutrients mobile the whole time :peacock:

I am fond of watering with a fine rose attachment and as far the horticultural world are concerned Haw's make the best Can. It's actually accredited to Haw's that they invented the traditional can as we know it and it was formerly known as a watering pot.

http://www.haws.co.uk/products/plastic_cans_for_outdoors/7litre_deluxe_can.html

The can is 7 litres ish and comes with a rose attachment in brass and a down spout pot attachment. The ergonomic easy balance grip is ideal for 'Stoners' the wide access is easy to clean out the cans the 2 colour options denote pure water and mix's @ mine and they sit in there evaporating.

The 'long reach' Haw's can is ideal for tents going back 1.5m + in depth.. Good for Disabled folks I would assume.

My tap H20 is 6.8pH and 0.5 E.C.

I bump it down to 6.5 the happy zone for the medium. Co2 is best for this as it gives carbon back to the plants

Another thing I do is move the lamps forward and back every day or twice @ this point to give each plant the full power of the 'Force.' Once they stop stretching I central it.

Having direct and indirect light is beneficial to the whole grow, in my opinion it eliminates hotspots and as a consequence the plants are fuller.

Sometimes I move it a bit in flower but I don't do it once they smell lots..

My tents open from the bottom up, it's the best design from my perspective. There is no make or model. They were especially manufactured for my friends shop and are only distributed by them, they have no plastic parts and are rock solid and 100% Light proof with a 95-98% reflective inner.

I can hand water a crop in these tents and the 'Grow' is still fully efficient in the smell/ventilation department. 0 Security risks on site.

Think this 1.2 tent is around £90. £70 for a 1m. The 1.2x2.4's are only £150 in the shop and I get 35% on everything...

In this tent up top I have a PowerPlant Mantis Reflector, a few easy rails and a 6" Can filter. Sat on the top of the tent is the 5" acoustic cage fan and outside it's ducted to a 8" Can filter. I have a 600w Lumatek ballast and a PowerPlant Timer/Relay. Double filtered:biggrin:

Been here done that!

None of the heat/smell is leaving this house..

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update

Update

Hi Siskiyou & shiskaboy Welcome.

The current room temps in the grow room @ lights off is 19°C and 45% RH.

I'll report back on any freak occurrences.. As it happens I had a power cut the first day of 12-12 what ended up giving them about 18 dark for that day.. Lamps are running through the night here in this tent to make use of the warmth and optimise the temperature control in the property, this room won't get below 18°C and the tent will stay within 5°C deviation lights on & off. I feel this acute attention to the environment is essential to achieve the 'Frutella' smell..

Mate of mine just come back from Dam today :). I got some dates wrong 23rd.. Lol..

Beer and curry tonight then..

I took some Pic's before lights on.. Might grab a few more when I get back and budge that lamp again.

I bent all the tips over as I was doing the foliar and I've turned the plants to have the upper leads in the corners of the tent on all 4 plants to try to even out some growth, this way I am manipulating them to be there in the final positioning.

The lamp I have placed from 12" away in Veg, it is now Double that in flower @ this time. It encourages some lateral movement and with the turning, lamp placement and the foilar they will start to shift faster after the initial "Shock" although they probably will be slightly big perhaps :biggrin:

I have 25" centres already @ 18" tall 4 days in to 12-12.

Day 7 in these pots by the way folks.. 21 day's from clone. They were Pre-Vegged in 5Ltr Pots to allow me to water them less frequent..

My longest leader is 18" and the average is 12". The base stem circumference is 2.1/2"

The Biggest Fan is 7"wide and 8" long.

Soil temps before lights on is 19°C & should stay like this now with the canopy covers the pots fully.

The lamp has been catching all the leads in the top 12", every one of them has no primordia out this 'Zone'

Pic of some of the tip bending 'meristem manipulation'

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I have not been well the last few days... Just had a look inside the tent today and the things look better than I do..

oldbean

Hello, high Mate Dave

Thanks for sharing your work, I have the same reflector as you and was wondering if you could tell me which way is the best way to hang it?

I currently have mine so the base of the bulb is at the front of the tent and is pointing towards the back, I'm not sure if its better switched sideways??! Or no different?

Anyway, I like your grow, keep it green fella and merry Christmas to you & yours

Peace

These lades appear very well trained. Thanks for sharing your technique. Pulling up a seat to watch these buds come to life

"HEMPEROR"

Detailed as always dave, growing some cheese mi sen.i ditched that psycho cut,not very good, hope for you the cheese is better ill look in when im here. have a good one fella....

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
hope you feel better soon man... girls look happy at least... couldnt agree more about moving light around either (although I actually move plants around - same difference :) ) I was blown away the first time I got a light meter and actually measured hot and cold spots in my areas...

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Details, details it's all in the details. Your welcome round here anytime Hemperor.. That poor skunk will likely be the shitty Chemotherapy system you grow with and until you ditch that. All the weed you produce will be SHIT as you say..

Changing to cheese won't help Cheese is far shitter than Psychosis don't fill out as much and grows poor out of a SOG. I've done this for years if you haven't figured that out yet there is no help.. When you're up on the funds and not in debt growing the best weed is the most important thing..

If it was Psycho in this tent I would have vegged for less time with this warmer winter and the plants would be well into flower now. So for a commercial gardener Psychosis is the BEST Commercial strain. It's produceable on mass for sale @ under £80 per z and sells higher than anything I've come across.. It go's better on Hydro for sure but it's priceless when grown by me this way. There is no compromise. There are great plants and great yielders and great high's Psychosis is much better than Cheese

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello, high Mate Dave

Thanks for sharing your work, I have the same reflector as you and was wondering if you could tell me which way is the best way to hang it?

I currently have mine so the base of the bulb is at the front of the tent and is pointing towards the back, I'm not sure if its better switched sideways??! Or no different?

Anyway, I like your grow, keep it green fella and merry Christmas to you & yours

Peace

Honestly for a 1 lighter I don't think it matters.. What ever makes the cables reach for me :biggrin: I'd work on how you have the wings positioned and that for me is about Flat top or Manhattan Style gardens :) Flat will be open wings and Manhattan style needs penetration to the base of the colas so I close the reflector. (That's certainly a good subject worthy for some discussion)

I have taken it out and properly turned them daily before now and the Mantis AEG male fitting needs to be set close to the bracket and @ the base if possible. (I have burn marks in old reflectors that show me where I was right, if you drew all those 'imaginary lumen lines' like on the packaging from the burn marks you visualise maximising the reflectors potential) :dance013:

In a 1.2x2.4 you have overlap and direct & indirect light what can be used to an advantage if you place the lamps as the manufacturer suggests. I prefer multiple Arc's of bulbs and not 1 radiant 'Shit spot' where they yellow out under it and look bigger then the rest. I much prefer the whole grow being Optimal. Making no exceptions..