What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Warning regarding Dabs from Dale Gieringer

Thomas Paine

Veteran
A Warning Regarding Dabs
O’SHAUGHNESSY’S Online
From Dale Gieringer:

The latest O’Shaughnessy’s has some delightful nuggets, thank you. Your coverage of the anti-cancer potential of cannabis is admirably open-minded. The report on WAMM’s experiment was especially interesting; the results so far sure don’t make cannabis look like a miracle cure.

Jeff Hergenrather’s article overlooked the number one hazard of dabbing in my experience. That is the danger of passing out from an overdose. In the past couple of years, there have been repeated occasions in which 911 teams have had to be called in due to cannabis overdoses. At the NORML conference in LA, there were at least three different emergency calls due to use of high-potency cannabis extracts. I hear that 911 was also called a few times at the High Times cannabis cup two years ago. At the NORML party in LA, one person fainted and cracked his nose on the sidewalk.

I know someone else, a beautiful lady my age who has been smoking pot since the ’70s, who fainted and broke her teeth on the floor after dabbing. Things like this never happened until the popularization of hash oil in recent years. The dangers are dire enough to merit a special warning. The best-authenticated case of a cannabis death in the literature —reported by Gabriel Nahas or Reese Jones as I recall— was of someone who collapsed and cracked their skull in the bathroom from the hashish overdose.

One myth that I challenge is that hashish candies were advertised in the Sears-Roebuck catalog. I have seen this alleged in books by Martin Lee and Keith Stroup, as well as the article on Chris Bennett in O’S p. 62. Some while ago I did a search of old Sears Catalogs, and the most I could find were brief one-line ads for cannabis indica tinctures in their pharmaceutical section. The Sears catalog didn’t begin until 1888. I am unaware of any advertisements for hasheesh candy later than 1872. There are some famous ads for hasheesh candy by the Gunjah Wallah company in New York, which appeared in Harper’s Weekly in the 1860s. In 1866, a Boston medical journal published a letter harshly critical of hasheesh candies, suggesting they be removed from pharmacies. In 1869, the New York World wrote that hasheesh candies had been “completely discredited” because the product failed to produce the symptoms that had been claimed (perhaps bad quality control?). In any event, I know of no reference to the Gunjah Wallah company in later years, and certainly not at the time of the Sears catalogs.

Glad to hear the oil wasn’t portrayed as a miracle cure. Lester Grinspoon thought we didn’t sufficiently stress the usefulness of allopathic medicine in our article(s). “Grinspoon to O’S: Curb Your Enthusiasm…” The old lefties used to say “Criticism and self-criticism, comrades.” But of course they only meant the former…

As for the danger of dabs, Chris Conrad made an interesting point at the NORML conference in January. To paraphrase: there was a time when we could distinguish our drug of choice —unprocessed flowers— from “hard” drugs such as cocaine and heroin. That distinction disappeared in "The Year of the Concentrate."

Dale Gieringer has been the state coordinator of California NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) since 1987. He is also Vice-Chairman of the national NORML board of directors, director of the California Drug Policy Forum (DPFCA) and treasurer of the Oakland Civil Liberties Alliance (OCLA).

http://www.beyondthc.com/a-warning-re-dabs/

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've smoked flowers strong enough to make me white out...

That is not an "overdose" as it is being portrayed....that's TERRIBLE way of stating something. That is just someone with a low tolerance smoking more than they should have - NOT an overdose. Never is the individual at any risk of death - which is what an overdose indicates...

And to compare dabs to things like heroine and crack - is absolutely absurd.

Concentrates remove carcinogenic mater from the inhalation process. Are perfect for making hard candies or for using in vape pens or tinctures, where the flavor of chlorophyll is entirely removed....how any of that is bad...is beyond me.

Refining the part of the plant that is medicine in an extraction, is just that - refinement.

Should people be educated about the strength of such medicines - yes - but again, I've had times where I've just this side of passed out simply by smoking REALLY great flowers - so should that particular cut be considered dangerous too???

dank.Frank

Heusinomics

Agreed.
Iv seen young heads and seasoned dreadies alike succumb to fresh headies.
Wile the RIGS these days pack a serious punch it's still no dif.
Tolerance rules all.

Respect the dab!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the writer of this article is sensationalizing something that need not be, the only danger is the danger solvents themselves pose.

Is far as strong weeds or concentrates and the such. IT IS MEDICINE not a drug, and in this regard it does deserve some respect.

that being said concentrates and the strongest weeds are basic meds to others who dont find either of them too strong

calling it a hard drug because non med people are doing concentrates without a medicinal basis and cant handle it is grossly inappropriate, extremely biased and reeks of prohibition era propaganda

hard drugs are addictive cannabis is not even when refined and they don't provide a medical benefit that heals they simply abate symptoms

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Yes it is an overdose, unless the desired effect your seeking from your dose is passing out.

but this is nothing new imo. People have been overdosing from hash and medibles like bhang for quite some time.

The difference with medibles is it takes longer for the "overdose" to be digested.

I have seen people puke and pass out from just about any form of ingesting herb, puking IMO is your bodies declaration of "overdose"

Ive made bho smoothies before and overdosed, the effects were beyond what I was seeking from a dose. I got the shakes, tripped out, hallucinated. But thats about as far as Ive gone, never passed out.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll make this article shorter and more accurate......

A Warning Regarding Dabs
O’SHAUGHNESSY’S Online Aka. O'Sheep shagger

Pussies beware. Dont do dabs if you cant handle your shit..... or man the fuck up.

As for the danger of dabs, Chris Conrad made an IGNORANT COMMENT at the NORML conference in January. To paraphrase: there was a time when we could distinguish our drug of choice —unprocessed flowers— from “hard” drugs such as cocaine and heroin. That distinction disappeared in "The Year of the Concentrate."

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Highlight45 hit the nail on the head. An overdose doesn't necessarily or automatically mean death.

This article is bullshit. O'Shaughnessy's should be ashamed. Isn't this the same outfit that first published Russo's Taming THC?

People are learning their limits with dabbing. Dumb ass people take big dabs, they don't know their limits. Similar to dumb ass people who make BHO indoors. Also, how about the quality of the BHO they are dabbing? I've taken some big dabs and more than that, I've been with others who have taken MONSTER dabs and no one passed out. People dropping face first and breaking noses and chipping teeth sound like amateurs going too deep too fast.

Some people are going to push their luck. They can't be helped.

You're a good editor, HZ. :D

Easy7

Veteran
Never dabbed but have smoked oil. I've seen someone pass out after smoking bud. She was in a crowded music show, so go figure. I'd rather be comfy and not having to do things. If your forced to not do what makes you feel better you may get dizzy. It's good to lay down, drink fluids, eat if you must.

Piel

Veteran
"Dab" was a new word for me but I see that I have done it with no ill effects, pretty much like smoking kiff. I have had problems with "overdosing" on tincture: Once made a batch that for some reason was a lot stronger than the previous batch -walked to bed with the posture of a gorilla and slept for three hours.

It was an overdose, it wasn´t dangerous, shit happens.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm in total agreement with WEIRD stating, " the only danger is the danger solvents themselves pose."

How the ear wax, honey oil is processed by individuals that either do not have the necessary knowledge on extracting or take short cuts really concerns me.

It is reminiscent of Paraquat (pesticide) being sprayed on Mexican fields, then the bricks sold across the USA. Recall numerous reports of toxicity, hospitalizations, deaths, over doses.Paraquat (dipyridylium) is a highly toxic weed killer once promoted by the United States for use in Mexico to destroy marijuana plants. Research found that this herbicide was dangerous to workers who applied it to the plants.

I think, similar premise....reading the article.

I'll stay w/ kief, hash from kief, edibles and jarred goodness that I've personally grown.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
That is not an "overdose" as it is being portrayed....that's TERRIBLE way of stating something. That is just someone with a low tolerance smoking more than they should have - NOT an overdose. Never is the individual at any risk of death - which is what an overdose indicates...

dank.Frank

It certainly is an overdose by definition and in accurate portrayal.

Maybe the word "overdose" carries some negative connotation for you and you perceive it in a "terrible" way, but to me its a simple compound word.

over+dose

DF, not all overdoses are "lethal", but death can be a side effect of many dangerous medications, overdose or not..

Cannabis is the SAFEST medication IMO..and there no LETHAL dose has been established.

here is wikipedias definition: The term drug overdose (or simply overdose or OD) describes the ingestion or application of a drug or other substance in quantities greater than are recommended[1] or generally practiced.[2] An overdose may result in a toxic state or death.[2]

from dictionary.com
World English Dictionary
overdose n 1. (esp of drugs) an excessive dosevb 2. to take an excessive dose or give an excessive dose to

Heres from the national library of medicine.gov
Overdosehttp://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007287.htm#Bookmark & Share Printer-friendly version

An overdose is when you take more than the normal or recommended amount of something, usually a drug. An overdose may result in serious, harmful symptoms or death

Dank.Frank. from what I see, by definition the passing out would certainly be considered an OD unless the "doser" was trying to pass out..

When I mentioned vomiting, I was speaking of Puking after ingesting something, wether drinking or eating or smoking. IMO puking is your bodies way of saying "overdose". Especially with drinking alchohol.

If you dose (drink) to much ya puke.

Body says "too much" and then proceeds with the EJECT process..

I am not sure about ocean motion sickness vomiting, but im sure someone could argue that its an overdose of "ocean motion" JK

The recreational "DAB OLYPMICS" thats going on is causing some grief from both sides, especially when its disguised under the term "medicinal"

I see it just like a drinking game, or the OKTOBERFEST. I dont care if ya wanna take a bunch of shots with your pals, or if you want to dab yourself into oblivion. to each their own.

Medicinal use paved the way for recreational, and we need to clearly distinguish them as separate as they evolve. Otherwise the recreational users might ruin it for the medical users. As I fear is happeing in WA.

Gert Lush

Veteran
I'll agree with dank.frank and Weird.
Absolutely pathetic sensationalism!

Can't really understand its motivation. Who is this Chris Conrad? Is he meant to be some pro-cannabis activist? Don't need that sort IMHO. Generally, I find they are speculators angling at some position through controversial (but pleasing to the naive) statements.

OMG, in my youth we just had innocent bud, but now - mercy - we have to contend with concentrates. Lawdy-lawdy help us!

---

Incidentally, concentrates have been around a long time, I've seen rosin in the 70s FFS, OK they weren't BHO, but that's progress for you...

Hey, why was the NORML guy scared of the orange-juice carton?
- Cause it said "concentrate".

Gert Lush

Veteran

Nope, it's not an accurate portrayal. The way that word is used it is an emotive hook, that is intended to elicit a certain response.

I would consider "overindulgence" a far more appropriate word in this case.
Consider the analogy with alcohol. Who the fυck says "overdose" when someone has 10 beers followed by chasers? Even though technically it is an overdose, we don't use the term because it is associated with other things: heroin, barbiturates, even aspirin. ER certainly.

We would say "alcohol overdose" if you ended up with liver-poisoning and did yourself some permanent damage, or had to be rushed into intensive care. As with aforementioned heroin, valium and aspirin.

So there is no such parallel with canna, really.
Do let's try keep things in perspective!
Words can be powerful things.

N

NorCalDreaming

Yes it is an overdose, unless the desired effect your seeking from your dose is passing out.

but this is nothing new imo. People have been overdosing from hash and medibles like bhang for quite some time.

The difference with medibles is it takes longer for the "overdose" to be digested.

I have seen people puke and pass out from just about any form of ingesting herb, puking IMO is your bodies declaration of "overdose"

Ive made bho smoothies before and overdosed, the effects were beyond what I was seeking from a dose. I got the shakes, tripped out, hallucinated. But thats about as far as Ive gone, never passed out.
Yup

I've had my tolerance up there at times. Only time I ever overdid it was at the end of a few day hash binge. Spent the night sleeping in front of the porcelain god. Worse than most times I overdid alcohol.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Maybe the word "overdose" carries some negative connotation for you and you perceive it in a "terrible" way, but to me its a simple compound word.

over+dose

DF, not all overdoses are "lethal", but death can be a side effect of many dangerous medications, overdose or not..

Cannabis is the SAFEST medication IMO..and there no LETHAL dose has been established.

here is wikipedias definition: The term drug overdose (or simply overdose or OD) describes the ingestion or application of a drug or other substance in quantities greater than are recommended[1] or generally practiced.[2] An overdose may result in a toxic state or death.[2]

from dictionary.com
World English Dictionary
overdose n 1. (esp of drugs) an excessive dosevb 2. to take an excessive dose or give an excessive dose to

Heres from the national library of medicine.gov
Overdosehttp://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007287.htm#Bookmark & Share Printer-friendly version

An overdose is when you take more than the normal or recommended amount of something, usually a drug. An overdose may result in serious, harmful symptoms or death

Dank.Frank. from what I see, by definition the passing out would certainly be considered an OD unless the "doser" was trying to pass out..

When I mentioned vomiting, I was speaking of Puking after ingesting something, wether drinking or eating or smoking. IMO puking is your bodies way of saying "overdose". Especially with drinking alchohol.

If you dose (drink) to much ya puke.

Body says "too much" and then proceeds with the EJECT process..

I am not sure about ocean motion sickness vomiting, but im sure someone could argue that its an overdose of "ocean motion" JK

The recreational "DAB OLYPMICS" thats going on is causing some grief from both sides, especially when its disguised under the term "medicinal"

I see it just like a drinking game, or the OKTOBERFEST. I dont care if ya wanna take a bunch of shots with your pals, or if you want to dab yourself into oblivion. to each their own.

Medicinal use paved the way for recreational, and we need to clearly distinguish them as separate as they evolve. Otherwise the recreational users might ruin it for the medical users. As I fear is happeing in WA.

if that's your logic then I O.D. on junk food all the damn time. lol

TheCleanGame

Veteran
This is retarded...

People have been passing out from hot knifing hash since probably the invention of hash.

Just because this guy has been living in ignorance up until partial legalization doesn't make them a creditable source for anything cannabis related.

Keep it Clean! :D

Thomas Paine

Veteran
fatal overdose on cannabis

fatal overdose on cannabis

I don't know if anyone caught it, but we can no longer say there has never been a fatal overdose on cannabis.

There is now a documented case of someone overdosing on hashish, passing out, cracking there head open and dying.

Did the person die from taking a fatal dose of marijuana? No, but that isn't usually how it happens with other drugs. They die because they nod out and smother themselves acidentally (heroin, oxy's), or from really poor health (crack heads, meth), or they don't drink enough water, overheat and their heart stops (ecstasy, mephedrone, methylone).

So now we have our first death.

Also, Dale's personal friend feinted, hit the floor, and broke her teeth.

He isn't sensationalizing, he is stating what he has seen.

Dale is the head of CALIFORNIA NORML, and a PHD.
You are acting like Dale is some non-smoking, weed hating type person.

BTW - no one is complaining about "concentrates", I make my own dry ice hash.

It's the dabbing of the wax / shatter crackabis with butane torches in crack bongs we are talking about.

Latest posts

Latest posts