What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

do the digital ph pens need to be stored with water in the cap

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my blue lab uses 4.5.......I have 3 different storage solutions there all between 4-5 PH..

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I use this.

picture.php

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
woah...i havent done this. been hanging it up dry for 6months....past couple weeks been putting a cap full of tap water and storing it standing up

C

cyber echo

Use storage fluid.
IF you want your pH meter to stay working after a few months :p

Ph buffer 7.0 is fine for a while but that will not clean your electrode which means decreased electrode life down the road.

qupee

My Oakton EcoTestr pH2 does not state that it should be stored in solution.

I have been using mine for nearing 18 months now, never stored in solution. It needed recalibration once after replacing the batteries (also needed only once so far, after close to a year).

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I stored my PH pens for two months with PH 7 water and my meter was off by .4. The bottle only cost I think about $7. It's a lot cheaper than growing new plants or waiting for them to recover after you damage them.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Any water other than distilled will cause build up on the probes. That can't be good.

pH probes should be kept moist. there is 'storage' solution for this which is the best. then distilled water, then 7.0 calibration solution. this what my local shop has told me. like freezerboy said, any other water beside distilled will shorten the life of the probe

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pH probes should be kept moist. there is 'storage' solution for this which is the best. then distilled water, then 7.0 calibration solution. this what my local shop has told me. like freezerboy said, any other water beside distilled will shorten the life of the probe

??? I think you have it backwards

avoid storing in distilled water because it will deplete the hydration layer of refillable electrodes, and decrease the life of nonrefillable electrodes.

im repeating info giving to me by the guy that sold me my pH pen. his logic for distilled water was basicly the same as freezerboy in that if for some reason the liquid evaporated off, there wouldnt be any salt build-up on the electrode causing a shortened life. he had said that 7.0 calibration solution would have very low salt content compared to an acidic or basic calibration solution and a lot less dangerous to handle if you spilled on yourself, clothes, etc. im not saying i wasnt misinformed, but after using my pH pen for almost 2 years with no real issues other than needing to adjust the calibration here and there, i just have no reason atm to believe otherwise. this is however the first ive heard about the hydration layer issue so i will need to question him about that next time im in the store.

i keep mine in the storage solution, but when you buy them new, they are not in any solution, and i'm sure some sit on the shelves for over 6 months

touringfunkband

My Oakton EcoTestr pH2 does not state that it should be stored in solution.

I have been using mine for nearing 18 months now, never stored in solution. It needed recalibration once after replacing the batteries (also needed only once so far, after close to a year).

Actually Qupee, the instructions I have for the Oakton pH2 say..

"For long-term storage, fill the cap with 20 mm of storage solution (NOT de-ionized water), and replace cap*. This will keep the sensor conditioned and ready for next use."

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When not in use, the glass probe tip must be kept wet at all times to avoid the pH sensing membrane dehydration and the subsequent dysfunction of the electrode.

A glass electrode alone (i.e., without combined reference electrode) is typically stored immersed in an acidic solution of around pH 3.0. In an emergency, acidified tap water can be used, but distilled or deionised water must never be used for longer-term probe storage as the relatively ionless water "sucks" ions out of the probe membrane through diffusion, which degrades it.