What's new

catters crapped on my harvest! now what

nugghead

So those brown parts in the bud I posted about were caterpillars. Took the affected buds apart and there was caterpillar crap ("frass") and dead nug all in there; even found 8 or so caterpillars already - green buggers, about 2 cm long - and I'm only halfway through harvest. Probably 5% of my harvest has been wrecked, no big deal really, just annoying.

I have a few bags I'm making during trim: one for large fan leaves; one for sugar leaves and bud parts. Those are going to be made into ice water hash.

But I also have a bag that is getting pretty heavy with nice, dank nugs that caterpillars have been crapping in. What to do with this stuff? I'm thinking of the following options:

1) Rinse with cold water to get the frass off. Dry, either regular way or in freezer. Make ice water hash.

2) Skip the rinse, just dry it and make icewater hash out of it.

3) Make something else out of it. (What else?) Butane extract is not something I'm going to be doing, so that's out.

4) Trash it.

5) Dry it and smoke it, crap and all. Not real excited about this one.

6) Dispose of it as shwag or regs to some unwitting stoner. (Kidding!)

What's the right answer?

W

wilbur

there is NO right answer. probably comes down to how big yr crop is and how much time you have to pick the shit out.

there's a lesson here tho, is there not? what were the weather conditions like prior to the bug strike? will you recognise those conditions if they happen again next year so that you can get some biodegradable stomach poison onto yr buds before the creepers get vigorous?
where I live caterpillars don't happen every year so it's a matter of keeping a keen eye out for them ... cheers!

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
dry as normal, then when well dry break into smallest parts then shake in a plastic supermarket bag and poops will all fall out then make hash or concentrate & baked goods

yoss33

Veteran
Smoke it, man :) It's just cured digested bud ;) and doesn't change the taste of the bud...

nugghead

Thanks for all the replies.

Wilbur, it's not some weird weather; these are the same green caterpillars that eat my tomatoes. I put petunias around the tomatoes because they prefer petunias; I did not do that for the cannabis. The other issue is that I could have nipped these in the bud - literally - if I'd known what they were. I saw brown patches but didn't realize that meant a caterpillar was in there. Now I know.

Yoss, you have a point. I am going to have to stretch to wrap my head around it though.

Annoying. They pretty much got into every giant cola, so I had to break each one in two, kill the caterpillar, and clean out the brown part. Spoiled my photo opp - was looking forward to posting a shot of at least one of these crystallized purple donkey dicks, but each one had a cat in it.

S

SeaMaiden

I did not know that caterpillar poop is called frass, thank you for that. When I find a frassed up bud, it's also usually got mold in it, so I toss it in the fireplace. That's what happened to my Mendo Purps cross last year, I lost a lot of the very best top cola buds for the frass. Thing is, they looked great up until I got to trimming them, and then the buds just crumbled in my hand. Funny thing was it was the super-dark Mendo Purps cross that really got hit, my other girls barely suffered a single frassing.

Also of note, last year I was unable to perform my usual duties with the OD girls, i.e. biweekly treatments, alternating Spinosad with Bt sprays. That cost me, so I've been working hard to keep up on it this year. No dark purple girls growing this year, so we'll see how that all works out.

yoss33

Veteran
Some poo with a small bad boy on the unfocused back above the bud, a photo taken yesterday :)
picture.php

nugghead

All the frassed up bud is in a brown paper bag - in the freezer, in case I missed any insects. A couple of them had puffs of mold as well; those were discarded.

I am going to make these the last batch on hash day, shake the loose frass off, gently break 'em up and see what I get.

Thanks again for all the replies. Bt kills these, I think - will have to get a hold of some as it does not offend my sensibilities to use it.