What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spray milk in flower for pm

Early flowering spraying. Any thoughts on this? 2nd 3rd week?

Im using baking soda and alkaline water with some control strain dependant.
Thank you for your time beautiful people :party:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Baking soda. Spray baking soda as a preventative once a week if you have high risk pm area.

Then focus on dialing you environment.

Milk works somewhat but it sucks getting it on your buds. If in veg no problem but baking soda is far better.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Baking soda. Spray baking soda as a preventative once a week if you have high risk pm area.

Then focus on dialing you environment.

Milk works somewhat but it sucks getting it on your buds. If in veg no problem but baking soda is far better.

True!! Milk on buds....better to use baking soda as Lester and Koondense mentioned. Good luck!

knuckles

Veteran
Try potassium bicarbonate as opposed to sodium bicarbonate,it’s a lot safer for the plants..one brand is green cure or try amazon..

knuckles

Veteran
I use uvc light to control the pm issues I had...haven’t seen any pm/mould since I plugged it in..

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Summer Grow Tips - Powdery Mildew - Light Deprivation

Summer Grow Tips - Powdery Mildew - Light Deprivation

Hi Folks,

I hope you are ready for some great Summer Grow Tips.
For those with a thriving cannabis garden, congratulations in cultivating a plant ally that has partnered with mankind for centuries. While cannabis is relatively easy and addictive to grow there are still a lot of things that can go wrong on the way to your bumper fall crop this year. Problems can arise in the areas of nutrient deficiencies, pests, diseases, and environmental stresses. Today I will show you how to eradicate Powdery Mildew and how to accelerate your growing season with Light Deprivation.

I am also sharing the second batch of Zoom Backgrounds from @phenofocus.
Stay safe
ED

Zoom, Zoom - more zoom backgrounds [from @phenofocus]
We know you love looking at ganja so we’ve decided to green up your Zoom calls with these cannabis-themed Zoom backgrounds. This way, even if the conversation isn’t as engaging as you’d like it to be you can still focus on the glittering seas of trichomes on our favorite flower. Hopefully, these backgrounds are fun and bring joy to your video conferencing. Don’t forget to remind your friends, family, and co-workers you’re Zoomin’ with that the path towards true cannabis freedom will always be to grow your own.

As @phenofocus Theo Oldfield takes compelling up-close shots of cannabis flowers. His passion for photography developed a little over two years ago when he started shooting on a solo trip through Europe. After he started growing cannabis in a spare room he started taking macro images during his own harvest. Now the San Diego-based photographer has worked with big names such as Wonderbrett, Cookies, Hydrotic, Ball Family Farms and Terraform Genetics. “I absolutely love meeting new people in the industry, seeing different facilities and seeing the differences in all the strains at a macro level,” he says. “But my favorite part is helping destigmatize this amazing plant. Showing people my work and then having them ask questions and see the plant and industry in a new light is probably the most satisfying part of what I do.”

Preventing Powdery Mildew

UDWarIe46lxEuj-9S8sjyTYE1x9Ra05TKQ7be2GbQu-6W-4nOW0TDLJbEin6anYgtyoszrm5OvJSLaF72oyxE1FMcg6zVbkdq1WhkXlSZBOVh6grZYtofXAjCK2ENa7edbiIbvKI64vD1PW9w6ioivYEJA3-2w=s0-d-e1-ft

Powdery Mildew - Image @muimui110

Caused by several fungi, powdery mildew is a common problem in both outdoor and indoor grows. Spores are found everywhere and can travel long distances on air currents, spreading to other plants nearby and re-colonizing plants that have already been affected.

Powdery mildew is hard to catch because the infection is essentially invisible until the organism establishes, producing spores and a white mass that lowers the rate of photosynthesis. It can be brought on by high humidity and will be a potential problem whenever the temperature and humidity fall in its favored range, which overlaps the temperature and humidity range that cannabis prefers. Between the different species, the fungi can have preferred temperatures of between 60-85°.

Powdery mildew attacks young leaves that are two or three weeks old. You’ll find it on buds, stems, stalks and leaves and, once established, it travels to other plants in the garden. It is very noticeable. Look for raised humps on the upper leaf surfaces before it sporulates. Soon after your plants will look like they’ve been dusted with confectionary sugar. At first, it might appear on just a small portion of the leaf in an irregular circle pattern, but it spreads quickly and soon the entire leaf will look powdered.

Because powdery mildew affects the plant’s ability to conduct photosynthesis it can cripple your harvest. Infected plants prematurely yellow, brown and eventually die. With untreated plants black specks can arise in the white powdery mildew. The buds will have a stale, moist smell and will be covered in a white powdery mildew substance that cannot be removed making them unsafe to consume.

kG5SdXXayY05m4x8UnA6OX6_mSwLltt8u4A68yVez7IRxHpG30jeAYy35Ad9eLTh6fr1a1v5b0m0DFRvv8tAYw_XeGHRHHqeFo42mW_8_CPmz00i9dff-vnQdnvoZfreKUw2ZELDjwvmbr2xGpRpU-g_Tu0XJg=s0-d-e1-ft

The main reason spores might make their way into your grow are wind and air ventilation, but contaminated cuttings can also cause problems as well as spores delivered via your clothing, pets, or outdoor animals.

To prevent powdery mildew quarantine all new plants in a separate area so they cannot infect other plants. Indoors, incoming air should be filtered to stop spores from entering the grow through the airstream. Using a germicidal UVC light like the ones used in food handling kills airborne spores and ionizers and ozone generators precipitate and inactivate spores, lessening the chances of infection.

Controlling the humidity is a big part of controlling powdery mildew so restrict the humidity and spore production by not watering or foliar spraying at night with the lights off and using dehumidifiers. The plants should not be watered near the end of the light time. Anything over 50% humidity can cause problems. Plants should be also spaced apart in such a way that it promotes airflow.

Outdoor gardeners also need to consider airflow if the plants get wet. Use leaf-blowers to reduce excess moisture. If there is access to electricity, hairdryers and fans are useful. Outdoor electric or gas heaters can also be used to dry plants.

Beneficial fungi products can also be used for prevention. These include the beneficial bacteria Bacillus pumilis and Bacillus subtilis. Other remedies include compost tea sprays and a mix composed of 10% milk and 90% water. Neem, sesame and fish oils should only be used in vegetative and early flowering.

cvU9a3gXJYT7nyb_1TArn2bPhRLh8TxM_GTVTO5pOaCKQNqjMDlO1alfW2jBAdjbks-1Ys8sCdc7jRex1LZvmxDhSccy2v-Bu7oaM8738qkcurRD-gI0MQFvzSpm9VI2JAQhYxXFP_F0Bm5C0btVbZgxeecsxg=s0-d-e1-ft

Potassium bicarbonate, preferably (available inexpensively on the internet) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) changes the pH of the leaf surface making it alkaline. This retards the growth of new spores. To 1 gallon of water add 1 ½ oz by weight Potassium Bicarbonate (KHCO 3). This is equivalent to 2.5 Tablespoons. Adding a cup and a half of milk makes it even more effective as well as adding a few drops of the essential oils of cinnamon or clove. My Zero Tolerance Pesticide makes an excellent fungicide when mixed with Potassium Bicarbonate.

It’s best to treat the plants preventively, before PM sets in, or as soon as there is an indication of infection. Powdery mildew in vegetative growth is easier to treat than in the later stages of flowering. If not treated early powdery mildew on infected plants will eventually reach the buds.
For this reason, PM should be treated aggressively. Remove infected leaves, spray with biologicals and herbal fungicides, and keep humidity low.
When removing infected leaves watch out not to knock the spores into the air. Place a bag over infected leaves and tie it shut; then remove the leaves. Use a fungicide on wounded stems from which you’ve removed the leaves.

The following products will work for indoor and outdoor plants:

• Bacillus pumilis (beneficial bacteria
• Bacillus subtilis (beneficial bacteria)
• Cinnamon oil and tea
• Clove oil
• Garlic
• Limonene (citrus oil)
• Milk
• Neem oil
• Potassium bicarbonate
• Sesame oil
• Sodium bicarbonate

To attack these issues from the start consult with
Marijuana Garden Saver. This book is a field guide to identifying and remedying problems in your grow. In it, each problem with the plant is identified, explained, and solved. If you order the print book from me I’ll also send it along with my autograph. The eBook version is about to be released. Check-in with Amazon. I’ve gathered this information together because I want you to have the best harvest you can. Frankly, we need more marijuana in this world.

I also have 2 blogs about this subject matter, please take a look if you need more in-depth information

1. https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru-of-ganja-blog/avoid-the-heartache-of-bud-rot-and-powdery-mildew?rq=powdery
2. https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru-of-ganja-blog/the-dangers-of-microbial-contaminants-in-cannabis-and-how-to-prevent-mold-and-mildew?rq=powdery

Ask Ed: Summer Light Deprivation

2l8PfTJvPYxD7sV2Kwd6pdN_-drsuFMuEfDU9pqRks47Gk1RX5asSl4YmfrBtZhDX2Ih-Xlqg3U6O5h6OixNUS0KBKFqNXlb-zeD9qvc72vNJebX_yQ3UanKTfo0uwHAV8-fz2bUo7BrrZcUGwcT5OCEl-I8aI8U3kpWdg=s0-d-e1-ft

Light Deprivation is used to induce plants to flower and ripen earlier

As one of the co-founders of High Times Magazine, I wrote the long-running cannabis column “Ask Ed: Your Marijuana Questions Answered.” The column continues to be published internationally. Here's a recent question I received regarding the benefits of light deprivation, a method of growing that allows you to manipulate light in order to grow an outdoor cannabis crop year-round.

Light Deprivation means daily attention. Unless I have someone who will cover my plants at a specific time it really limits my summer plans. What are the benefits? Jason G. Sonoma, CA

Light dep will cause your plants to flower, no matter their size or age. The benefit of light deprivation for an outdoor crop is that the buds receive more UV light in August, so as they grow bigger they are also becoming more potent. Another advantage is that you avoid the risk of cooler, unpredictable fall weather.

Force flower by giving the plants only 12 hours of light daily and 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness starting two months before you’d like to harvest. Gradually increase the dark period. Once the buds are fully formed the schedule will be 10.5 hours of light and 13.5 hours of darkness.

There are various strategies for light dep. Some growers use containers on rollers or carts so they can move their plants around with the sun and bring them indoors when it is time for darkness. Others use hoops draped with white-black panda plastic. The white color on the outside reflects light and prevents heat buildup. The black on the inside prevents light from reaching the plants

July is almost over so act now!
Get the Marijuana Grower’s Handbook ebook for only $3.99 on amazon!

Great News: Amazon has selected Marijuana Grower’s Handbook for a July 2020 Kindle Monthly Deal. All month the book will be available for just $3.99. I still like the print edition because of the way photos are organized. The advantages of eBooks are the search function and that it does not weigh 2 lbs.

Order here only $3.99 for the E-Book Follow me on Instagram and Facebook

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
Milk also will give you a very very unpleasant smell over time :) make sure if you use milk in veg phase to wash it off over some time otherwise you will have a nice smell inside ur grow space :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is the recipe for the baking pwdr?

Is milk diluted or goes on straight?

Step 1: Mix 3 tablespoons baking soda with 1 gallon of water.
Step 2: Mix in 1 tsp dish detergent. This helps the spray to stick to the leaves.
Step 3: Spray on tops and bottoms of leaves till dripping

Tip: Begin with 3 tablespoons, and apply that amount one time each week for 3 weeks. Then switch to 3 1/2 Tablespoons if fungus is still growing, or spreading.

WARNING: Start spraying in the morning or evening – Spraying in the heat of the day can harm your leaves.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
I use Milstop SP every two weeks for plants in veg that seem to be prone to PM. Works well if applied at a regular interval.

HB.

dirty-joe

Seen milk being recommended for years, and apparently works, IDK? But I'm also in the no "stinking, rotting" milk camp.

Personally I would (and do) use peroxide. The over the counter stuff at 3% I dilute 50/50 with water. I've seen others say dilute 25/75 with water. In any case it will stop that shit in it's tracks. By the way It will stop bud rot in it's tracks too. Towards the end of season I like to take a spray bottle of it with me on visits

I had a plant with a couple of seed branches, and of course that where the bud rot started, one application of h2o2, bud rot cured, and went on weeks longer to harvest healthy seeds.

PDX Dopesmoker

Baking soda and milk work because they increase the pH of the plant surface and fungi don't liek that. Anything that'll bump up the pH where the fungi are growing without harming the plant will do the trick.

growlegal

Veteran
Baking soda and milk work because they increase the pH of the plant surface and fungi don't liek that. Anything that'll bump up the pH where the fungi are growing without harming the plant will do the trick.
Exactly
All I do is spray with a lower or higher ph water solution
Works great

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Micronized sulfur in veg and even up to week 2 in flower has completely eliminated pm for me even when tons of other things including green cure/plant therapy etc didnt.

Thank you to Mr. Harley Smith for lecturing on increasing amino acid uptake and microbiology soil interactions to help plants uptake more Calcium, create pectin (higher brix plants) that have pectin levels that naturally resist PM from inoculating into the plant

Ive been using backing soda/alkaline water since mid June. All 4 outdoor got an initial touch (there goes the outdoor keeper clone of the yr :(
3 are hiding it from the naked eye(apollo11s, took a chance on them outdoors to select) and my one cindy that can take a beating from bugs keep showing me spots the size of my baby finger print.

I hear sulfur (key to life?, for me not available in Canada. I find Safers powdered garden sulfur, and the pelletized but i am leary.