What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow, slowly yellowing and dying leaves.

C20H25N3O

:tiphat: First timer here. I am getting ready to switch some clones into 12/12 and I have been dealing with slowly yellowing and dying leaves over the last few weeks. I really am out of ideas. I've looked at a lot of charts, images, and have read tons. I am unsure what I am dealing with.

Here is a short gallery where you can see the issues: (Ignore the first photo -- story below)

https://imgur.com/a/zZT6RLj

1. ppm in is 180ish
  2. was using white vinegar to balance PH but very recently switched to PH down
  3. PH of water is 6-6.7ish. Normally around 6.4-6.5. We have well water.
  4. Recently started testing run off. PPM was around 400, and PH 6.4, but the try was rather dirty and not sure how I can trust the PPM when I see so much floating in the water afterwards. Watering day is tomorrow and I plan to test run off again.
  5. clones were acquired from old friend of my wifes. 10 days ago I re-potted from 3gal to 5 gal fabric pots using fox farms ocean forest.
  6. - Not sure what they were originally potted in, but he had recommend fox farms trio for nutes.
  7. This is our 1.5 grow. We lost 2 of the four plants after extended and unexpected hospital stay for the birth of our son (Halloween). 2 of the four plants came back and we picked up a new round of clones around mid-nov.
  8. Temp varies between 66-80. The tent is in the basement. I run a space heater about 8-16 hours a day. But temps are normally on the cooler side. around 70ish.
  9. RH can be a struggle. 35-45 on average.
  10. Successfully fought WPM. Airflow is important!
  11. Have dealt with what I believe are spider mites. I can see the moving slightly on the underside of the leaf. Isolate your new clones!
  12. - I sprayed azamax 3x every 3-4 days at the end of November-early December. I thought it worked, as I so no signs for weeks. but found a few more mites early this week on one plant. The one in the back left. the one with the slightly purple leaves. The coloring is normal for that plants genetics I am told. I will likely spray again in the next day or two.
  13. We are using fox farms trio for nutes and have been loosely following the feedings schedule. Feeding them once a week.
  14. Was watering about 1 liter 2x a week. But gradually of the last 3-4 weeks this has been increasing. To about 2 liters. I think I should probably increase even further. I am afraid run off is about not quite 10%

C20H25N3O

(added captions to the images. Just noticed my join date. I can't believe it has taken me this long to finally attempt a lifelong goal :)

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Congrats on finally taking the plunge! So looking at those pics, I'm not seeing anything specific jumping out at me nutrient wise, but I feel like the leaves that are dying are in much more shaded areas? How much wattage are you running for your tent if I can ask?

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
First guess was on PH, have you noticed anything when u switched from vinegar to ph down?

C20H25N3O

>First guess was on PH, have you noticed anything when u switched from vinegar to ph down?

My first watering without vinegar was this past thursday. So its really too soon to tell I think

>Congrats on finally taking the plunge! So looking at those pics, I'm not seeing anything specific jumping out at me nutrient wise, but I feel like the leaves that are dying are in much more shaded areas? How much wattage are you running for your tent if I can ask?

Thanks. I am running two of these quantum boards. If I understand it properly they draw 65 watts per board. Therefore 130w.

https://www.amazon.com/Horticulture-Lighting-Group-High-Efficiency-Upgraded/dp/B076QDKVDZ

When I switch to 12/12 I plan on purchasing this 4pack

https://www.amazon.com/Horticulture...?keywords=quantum+board&qid=1578791740&sr=8-4

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
:tiphat: First timer here. I am getting ready to switch some clones into 12/12 and I have been dealing with slowly yellowing and dying leaves over the last few weeks. I really am out of ideas. I've looked at a lot of charts, images, and have read tons. I am unsure what I am dealing with.

Here is a short gallery where you can see the issues: (Ignore the first photo -- story below)

https://imgur.com/a/zZT6RLj

1. ppm in is 180ish
  2. was using white vinegar to balance PH but very recently switched to PH down
  3. PH of water is 6-6.7ish. Normally around 6.4-6.5. We have well water.
  4. Recently started testing run off. PPM was around 400, and PH 6.4, but the try was rather dirty and not sure how I can trust the PPM when I see so much floating in the water afterwards. Watering day is tomorrow and I plan to test run off again.
  5. clones were acquired from old friend of my wifes. 10 days ago I re-potted from 3gal to 5 gal fabric pots using fox farms ocean forest.
  6. - Not sure what they were originally potted in, but he had recommend fox farms trio for nutes.
  7. This is our 1.5 grow. We lost 2 of the four plants after extended and unexpected hospital stay for the birth of our son (Halloween). 2 of the four plants came back and we picked up a new round of clones around mid-nov.
  8. Temp varies between 66-80. The tent is in the basement. I run a space heater about 8-16 hours a day. But temps are normally on the cooler side. around 70ish.
  9. RH can be a struggle. 35-45 on average.
  10. Successfully fought WPM. Airflow is important!
  11. Have dealt with what I believe are spider mites. I can see the moving slightly on the underside of the leaf. Isolate your new clones!
  12. - I sprayed azamax 3x every 3-4 days at the end of November-early December. I thought it worked, as I so no signs for weeks. but found a few more mites early this week on one plant. The one in the back left. the one with the slightly purple leaves. The coloring is normal for that plants genetics I am told. I will likely spray again in the next day or two.
  13. We are using fox farms trio for nutes and have been loosely following the feedings schedule. Feeding them once a week.
  14. Was watering about 1 liter 2x a week. But gradually of the last 3-4 weeks this has been increasing. To about 2 liters. I think I should probably increase even further. I am afraid run off is about not quite 10%
The state of the plants, the powdery mildew and the spider mites all point to your environment being too dry.

What you need is a watering blanket with a reservoir.

That way water is continuously moving up through the soil all the time. Which also keeps nutrients available to the plant. Also, a watering or pouring blanket eliminates overwatering as well as underwatering.

The plants look like they've missed a few waterings.

--

Cannabis is a riparian plant, which means it grows between the edge of the stream and the highest point of the floodplains. And in ditches, which is why they call it ditch weed.

Because it is an annual plant, and in the tropics there are three main seasons - cool and wet, hot and wet, and hot and dry - cannabis sees them all. However through flowering it needs lots of water moving up through the soil. When the flowers are well developed, they need less water, and a drop in pH to increase trace element takeup and reduce P and K takeup which should come from the nutrients in the leaves. The pH drop would normally come from the rain, which is acidic, and also flushes calcium.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Fox farms nutes will drop the pH of the water to 4.5 every time! Its made to use with their Ocean Forest and Happy Frog potting soil which has a 7 pH!!! When you put a 4.5 pH water with a 7.0 pH soil you get a 6.2 pH in the container! If you use Fox Farms fertilizer with another soil you are not using it correctly and will get burnt or yellowing leaves.

C20H25N3O

The state of the plants, the powdery mildew and the spider mites all point to your environment being too dry.

What you need is a watering blanket with a reservoir.

That way water is continuously moving up through the soil all the time. Which also keeps nutrients available to the plant. Also, a watering or pouring blanket eliminates overwatering as well as underwatering.

The plants look like they've missed a few waterings.

--

Cannabis is a riparian plant, which means it grows between the edge of the stream and the highest point of the floodplains. And in ditches, which is why they call it ditch weed.

Because it is an annual plant, and in the tropics there are three main seasons - cool and wet, hot and wet, and hot and dry - cannabis sees them all. However through flowering it needs lots of water moving up through the soil. When the flowers are well developed, they need less water, and a drop in pH to increase trace element takeup and reduce P and K takeup which should come from the nutrients in the leaves. The pH drop would normally come from the rain, which is acidic, and also flushes calcium.

I've eliminated the WPM issue by purchasing a tent and adding proper exhaust. I do worry about RH otherwise.

Your other information is useful. However, the one plant in the front right seems to look droopy no matter how much water I give it. Which is of some concern.

C20H25N3O

Fox farms nutes will drop the pH of the water to 4.5 every time! Its made to use with their Ocean Forest and Happy Frog potting soil which has a 7 pH!!! When you put a 4.5 pH water with a 7.0 pH soil you get a 6.2 pH in the container! If you use Fox Farms fertilizer with another soil you are not using it correctly and will get burnt or yellowing leaves.

Perhaps I need to re-calibrate my PH meter. It was always reading about 6.5 after I added nutes. Good information otherwise. Thank you

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I've eliminated the WPM issue by purchasing a tent and adding proper exhaust. I do worry about RH otherwise.

Your other information is useful. However, the one plant in the front right seems to look droopy no matter how much water I give it. Which is of some concern.
What can happen with regular watering, is that - depending on the medium, especially peat - the medium isn't taking up enough water. Basically the water runs off the sides and the center of the rootball never gets saturated.

One way to water properly is to do so slowly. Water just enough to wet the top of the soil and no more. Wait 10 minutes and repeat for the rest of the hour. You'll be surprised how much water the medium can hold before there is runoff.

With a watering blanket, water is always moving up through the medium, and it does so evenly.

Mattbho

If those are on a basement floor that could fuvk u right up check temp of the bottom of those pots . I see the buckets lids and the trays. I'm just wondering if that is enough insulation .

Also if you need to run a heater those cheap box fan heaters kill the rh worse than hps . I tried keeping a saucer full of water in front of mine , but eventually gave up an bought one of them oil filled jobbies and used the airflow of the tent keep a constant.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
What can happen with regular watering, is that - depending on the medium, especially peat - the medium isn't taking up enough water. Basically the water runs off the sides and the center of the rootball never gets saturated.

One way to water properly is to do so slowly. Water just enough to wet the top of the soil and no more. Wait 10 minutes and repeat for the rest of the hour. You'll be surprised how much water the medium can hold before there is runoff.

With a watering blanket, water is always moving up through the medium, and it does so evenly.
Peat is amazing because once it dries out it's actually hydrophobic and repels waters pretty decently cause of all the tiny hairs. Once water gets trapped in the space between those hairs though, through evaporation or just physical force, ie spraying, it becomes hygroscopic and sucks water up really well. If you are having problems re-wetting peat, they recommend a surfactant which breaks the waters skin tension, something like agave or yucca extract are both organic and work great.

C20H25N3O

If those are on a basement floor that could fuvk u right up check temp of the bottom of those pots . I see the buckets lids and the trays. I'm just wondering if that is enough insulation .

Yeah they are raised on a small grate so they are not sitting on the bottom of those trays. But this is something I hadn't considered. I'll check the tempatures at bottom of the tray during the day cycle in a few hours.

Also if you need to run a heater those cheap box fan heaters kill the rh worse than hps . I tried keeping a saucer full of water in front of mine , but eventually gave up an bought one of them oil filled jobbies and used the airflow of the tent keep a constant.

This was a concern. I keep the heater outside of the tent to mitigate the issue some. I also run a small humidifier. I did a micro flush last night.by giving the plants 3x the amount of water as usual. This has kept the RH around 50-55 since.

In general, I haven't really received anything too conclusive. Due to the yellowing, the use of nutes, and a pair of droopy plants I am leaning towards this possibly being an issue of too many nutrients. When I tested the run off last night I was getting near 2000 ppm. Whereas, going it was around 170-220ppm. I gave the plants 3x as much water as normal. (6 gallons between the four 5gal pots). ph has been good at 6.1-6.3

Can I trust the runoff ppm? The trays have a film on the bottom from past runoff. the film seems to get stired up with new run off.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Peat is amazing because once it dries out it's actually hydrophobic and repels waters pretty decently cause of all the tiny hairs. Once water gets trapped in the space between those hairs though, through evaporation or just physical force, ie spraying, it becomes hygroscopic and sucks water up really well. If you are having problems re-wetting peat, they recommend a surfactant which breaks the waters skin tension, something like agave or yucca extract are both organic and work great.
I once saw a coco oil based organic surfactant.

The thing with regular watering is that when the medium dries out between watering, there is a space beteween the medium and the pot the water runs down. So it looks like you're giving water, however there is a huge amount of runoff.

And outside the rainy season, water moves up through the soil anyway. It also reduces pests because the top of the soil stays a little drier.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those plants look like they got to much salt. If you are feeding off the bottle you are about 2x to much.
Big flush with low ec water. Vacuum off the runoff.
At least 1x volume of water to your soil needs to run through. 2x better.

Feed at 1-1.2 ec. For me in ro water that equals maybe 5 ml bloom 5 ml grow.

Also fox farm soil is peat based. You'll have better results adjusting ph to like 5.8 and letting it swing up.

Plants will perk up in a few days.
You will have to remove damaged leaves as they wont heal.

If you dont have an ec pen get one. Invaluable.
Also 20% runoff min.

:tiphat: