What's new

Breeding with F2 "grandparent" phenotypes from landrace-polyhybrid?

I flowered out several F1 seeds of Orange Burmese from Equilibrium Genetics in solo cup micro grows. The original pollen parent for this cross was an African Orange (Malawi landrace male x Agent Orange), and the seed parent was a Burmese landrace. True to what you'd expect, the plants were a pretty even mixture of traits. To be honest, I found them pretty forgettable with the exception of the aroma (super spicy orange funk). But given the genetics, I decided to see what some F2's looked like. Since I had ended up with 3 males, I pollinated a few popcorn buds. I flowered 5. One was a true hermaphrodite that I killed pretty early on. Of the rest, I had three females and one male. One of the females and the males again looked like pretty even hybrid mixture. Short, leaf shape/color, and budding pattern identical to the F1s. However, two of the females appear to have done what I had hoped.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

They are both taller than the F1, and both took >9 weeks to begin adding volume to the buds and showing trichomes. I'll let y'all be the judge, but the shorter plant appears to be more of a Burmese phenotype, while the taller one is unlike anything I've seen in person before (my experience with landraces is that I am a complete neophyte to verified strains). Do these look like their respective landrace grandparents/great-grandparents? Can I expect to each, if pollinated with the lone male, to continue as separate IBLs and move them towards their respective landrace-parent phenotypes?

CannaZen

[;3 ,433 beautiful single cola sativa structure highly hetero vigor from the looks of things dunno/. looks like you select your winners first.

o259j235[2-5p[-

Bob Green

You would have to use it in a breeding project and see if it breeds true for the traits you are trying to make dominant.

It could be a recessive phenotype that passes on this trait or it might not.

Only one way to really find out.

WelderDan

Veteran
All the really interesting plants are found in the F2 and beyond generations IMO. F1's tend to produce fairly uniform plants. The F2 and later generations are where the real unique combinations start showing up.

TheHatman

To get the original landrace back doesn´t work, because there are so many traits that have been mixed. If you cross 2 homozygous plants, the F1 produces uniform plants. in In the F2 the traits split and you get a lot of mixed traits.

The variation ist too big that you find plants that are exactly like the originals.

You should select the male and female plants, that look like that you want to. Pollinate them. You should do this at least until F5. But you can also make a mother that has the traits you want and do a few backcrosses with her offspring. So you can stabilize the desired traits.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
A back cross to the F1 is also an option.

Such a nice genetic mash up you got there.

Thanks and good vibes to you all! If these are as good as they look I’ll keep the line going and see what shakes out!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts