What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ona Gel

Man at Arms

Does ona gel really work? I plan on buying a fan/scrubber combo but also wanted to have ona gel in my home office where my grow tent is located to really get rid of smell. I plan on buying the 1 gallon pail and just let it sit in my office. Am I wasting money with ona gel?

troutman

Seed Whore
I only used the Ona Block Pro and liked it a lot. The Ona Block was placed
near my exit door and my carbon filter was placed inside my grow cabinet.
:tiphat:

Man at Arms

Thanks Troutman. Exactly what I was planning. Definitely going with the “pro” as well.

It works but I highly doubt you will want to be sitting right next to an open bucket of it all day long. It’s a pretty potent smell, almost too strong if you’re up close. I’d rely on your scrubbers primarily and use the ona for when anyone else will be around/the end of the cycle when the smells are really running amuck.

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^

To avoid it smelling too much and to make mine last longer I just made 4 small holes
in the lid vs leaving it totally open. This will help if you find it too strong smelling.

Man at Arms

Does ona gel really work? I plan on buying a fan/scrubber combo but also wanted to have ona gel in my home office where my grow tent is located to really get rid of smell. I plan on buying the 1 gallon pail and just let it sit in my office. Am I wasting money with ona gel?

It works but I highly doubt you will want to be sitting right next to an open bucket of it all day long. It’s a pretty potent smell, almost too strong if you’re up close. I’d rely on your scrubbers primarily and use the ona for when anyone else will be around/the end of the cycle when the smells are really running amuck.

That’s the plan. It’s my youngests 2nd birthday and the in laws will be staying with us. That’s when my girls will be in prime time flower.

^^^

To avoid it smelling too much and to make mine last longer I just made 4 small holes
in the lid vs leaving it totally open. This will help if you find it too strong smelling.
Nice call on the punching the holes.

This won’t effect taste of my smoke if the gel is placed in the room as the grow tent will it?

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
This won’t effect taste of my smoke if the gel is placed in the room as the grow tent will it?
... it sure will if your intake is in the same room as your tent. It would not be an issue if your intake was from outdoors.

The only time my grow room smells (tent in basement) is when I do maintenance to the girls. I do have a jar of Ona with holes in the lid (clean linen) sitting on the deacon's bench in the front entry. A French door separates the entry to the back hall.

Man at Arms

... it sure will if your intake is in the same room as your tent. It would not be an issue if your intake was from outdoors.

The only time my grow room smells (tent in basement) is when I do maintenance to the girls. I do have a jar of Ona with holes in the lid (clean linen) sitting on the deacon's bench in the front entry. A French door separates the entry to the back hall.

Good call. I can leave the gel right outside the door.

I use it on top of my cat's litter box, and it seems to help manage smells in that area. As others have commented, it definitely has a smell of its own, but it's not a super permeating or potent smell. We bought a small container for on the litter box and a larger container that was more cost effective for refilling the smaller one.

Personally, I wouldn't put it in the same tent as my cannabis, but I'd be fine leaving it near the door of the room to help manage smells that leave the room.

M

Mr.Boland

I have bought 2 of these ona gel blocks.
And mine dosent have a smell unless you
Put it under your nose. I rang the maker and was
Told they get rid of smells mine's didnt work
So not a fan

Attachments

• 20190917_220822.jpg
    20190917_220822.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 32

eyes

Veteran
I used the bucket and fan setup. I thought it was ok at best. People said they still could smell the plants through the scent. I tried buying the liquid to recharge it and found it to be just as weak. It smells strong for a short time and youll find yourself stirring it to get the smell out of those polymers that expand.

I feel the vaportek is a much better option. Thing is cartridge last only 7 days and you need to get em fresh. If they are not fresh, they dont work as well. pricey,too.

Man at Arms

I got the Ona Gel Pro a few days ago and it is great. I leave it outside the door of the room where my tent is. I can smell it without any holes in the top yet. I do plan on putting holes on the top once I start flowering

Attachments

• B9A10149-D62C-42C0-BB83-97059D9E8549.jpg
    B9A10149-D62C-42C0-BB83-97059D9E8549.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 30

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Fabric conditioner, for washing machines, stinks. I have put out shallow bowls of it, but after a couple of days, the surface dries like a milky pudding. You can stir in a little water to keep it going, but my efforts stopped there. An airstone might be the real answer.

Long term, I don't think it's a solution. So I don't buy the blocks of any brand. I do like them purple air freshener cans though. With the big nozzle. That make an ace flamethrower. Just for a quick fix.

I get my air from within properties usually, so I look after the carbon as best I can. Limiting my experience.. But fabric conditioner on a plate, Hid above cupboards, gives a true laundry smell.

Muarco

Veteran
For me Ona has been killing it in regards of lingering odors. Everything that gets pass my scrubber and grow room doors, gets blocked by Ona. I have a can laying in my living room which is the place where I usually smoke. Friends when visiting can't even tell I was smoking or that there's a room full of ladies in flowering. I used the Apple Crumble and found the smell almost too intense. If you're smoking your goods near it, can almost affect the taste of your smoke. GF was loving it tho. I switched to Ona Gel Pro and it's much more subtle while working as great. For some real stinkyness I would suggest the scented versions.

Del_9_THC

Does ona gel really work?

I always use a carbon filter AND ONA gel....

I use the gel in the exhaust vent ducting when fans are on....and sometimes also in small flat containers in the room. (With fans over them to ensure coverage, but as long as box is closed, then the ONA is not necessary...I just do it as a precaution.)

I made my own grow boxes out of solid wood, so there is no leak of smells when they are sealed. However, I have never used tents, so I am not sure if their flimsy construction allows smells out of tent.....When sealed up does the smell leak out of your tent?

If so, then relying on any one product might not work.

I have had over 12 plants in flower and no smell leaks.

If your house smells of the grow and the tent does not contain the smell, then it's possibly time to consider other options....including building a box out of solid material?

Cannabis is legal in my country but if stealth is a concern for you, then you need to have good odour control.

nahual

I love this stuff outside of my tents but please don't use it inside your tents :)

Don’t use ONA to control smells IN the grow room

https://www.growweedeasy.com/ona-gel-cannabis

should put this on a billboard in my area. the owner of the hydro store i used to frequent tells everyone to put ona right inside their rooms and tents. "its designed to not affect your plants!" which is utter bs. cannabis flowers absorb most all odors like sponges.

genetic freaked

Veteran
You can always make your own gel by using water crystals and charge them with fabric softener. I know people who used pinesol but wouldn’t recommend it since it’s gotta be toxic