What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Still smelling green after5 days of drying

iLuv2BlAzE

I have 2 plants chopped @ 63 days flushed for a week chopped early am before lights came on they have been drying now today makes 5 days they're line hanging . i haven't trimmed yet just the large fan leaves . she doesn't reeek tho smells green .

I know i have to cure her but why no dank smell like before i chopped her???

Branches are still folding over but almost dry. Maybe a day or 2 more

Any comments highly appreciated

Attachments

• 20171003_182112.jpg
    20171003_182112.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20171002_234852.jpg
    20171002_234852.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20171002_234911.jpg
    20171002_234911.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171002_234838.jpg
    20171002_234838.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 13

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
It was under a hot light evaporating during growth. So you could smell everything. Now just the last bit of moisture is leaving the plant and slowly. If you are doing a cure, make sure you grab a hydrometer from eBay or you could be wasting your time at best, letting your hard work mold up at worst.
The best plants don't really need curing, just taking to dry. I like mine drier than most.

William76

If ur only 5 days from chop theres still time to lose that smell,u dont want it to dry to quick either,id wait at least another week before putting it in jars.76

iLuv2BlAzE

I guess i was juss panicking a lil thanks fellas . i took a few buds that seem dry on the outside i put them ina glass sealed jar ill be checking on them every few hours...nothing 2 smoke lol the rest ill leave drying till the branches at least snap and not fold.... Almost there ..wasnt a huge plant so not to dense should be at least another day or 2

iLuv2BlAzE

Not even 20 minutes in the jar fellas and i already smell that smell :woohoo. Amazing .i already smoked a nug burned without turning off but no taste ....lets see later today

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Grass smell is increased by cutting when still green and keeping temps above 70F. The reason it smells like grass is the break down of chlorophyll, the same as the grass in a front yard.

Try to keep your humidity around 55%. A really good dry time is around 14 days. ;)

iLuv2BlAzE

Thanks mr douglas i will drop the temps to low 60s next time to chop room was at about 70. Today is5 days drying the buds aren't to dense. Stems still folding over tho but dry to a touch on the outside

Sucks to say but there drying in a dark cool room about 70s humidity unknown but it's cool and dry in there Im checking on them regularly no hygrometer or thermostat other than the one in the ac .was lucky enough to get a light 1k since i started this on a shoe string and outdoors which about half still sit.

I'm not complaining made it this far lol... I still got about2 weeks feed and 1 flush left ughhh seems like forever now

I chopped these@ 9 weeks with a week flush i think they coulda gone another 2 weeks so I'm about 3 weeks out

H

HaHaHashish

I chopped these@ 9 weeks with a week flush i think they coulda gone another 2 weeks so I'm about 3 weeks out

Strong grassy, not resin smells usually means you harvested two or three weeks too early for many modern hybrids..or as even a month or more early for long flowering equatorial strains. Wait until the bracts have fully swelled up and are covered in resin before harvesting.

Soma often said it's best "to harvest 2 weeks after you think it's time to cut" lol, but it's true. Cut when the plant has peaked and the scent will be a funky bud/resin smell not grassy, it will have a fully developed more satisfying high with a longer duration and the harvest will weigh more and will last longer.

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe flush longer next time.

Less nutrients = Faster chlorophyll breakdown.

Faster chlorophyll breakdown = Smoother smoke.

:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

I have 2 plants chopped @ 63 days flushed for a week chopped early am before lights came on they have been drying now today makes 5 days they're line hanging . i haven't trimmed yet just the large fan leaves . she doesn't reeek tho smells green .

Personally, I haven't had this problem in over a decade. Not since I began fading my plants. See, my plants aren't GREEN when I chop, they're ready for harvest. High Times has done a lot to push "GREEN" bud as something decent. It isn't.

At chop time, your buds should be faded browns and golds and oranges, with hints of purple (depending on the strain.lol)

Anyway, what have your temps and humidity been while drying? Same question which was asked earlier in the thread. Too warm/dry and all you get is grassy smell from chlorophyll breaking down quickly. Slow down the dry. :huggg:

iLuv2BlAzE

Yea those i chopped it was about mid 70s this time I'm going to chop real cold. And my plants are starting to fade there@ 66 days. With 4 days of plain water. I don't have the luxury of FLUSHING the plants that are inside so they will just get water for the next 10 days for a 2 week flush. I got some gorgeous colors coming thru .

Attachments

• 20171017_195318.jpg
    20171017_195318.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20171017_195330.jpg
    20171017_195330.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 14

Douglas.Curtis

The tans and golds I'm talking about come from slowly fading nutrient availability over a couple weeks. The last 5 days are a pure r/o "flush" for me, though they're already very clean at this point. The solution I pump out and replace is very weak. Theoretically, this works fine in soil as well, as long as the remaining nutrition is seriously depleted.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved

short answer is cuz they're not dry yet. the end. long answer is still cuz they're not dry yet lol... or you accidentally introduced some fungus or mold and now your plants and rotting. but is most likely just cuz not dry. make sure they aren't cramped together. you need proper airflow around the buds to prevent mold and shit taking over. 5 days is hardly enough time to dry even the larfiest airiest buds. i suggest you leave the lid off that jar another 2-4 days or you will be smoking up some smell less taste less flavorless grassy buds. when they feel dry on the outside the middle is still very wet. you need to dry till they feel crispy and the branches snap. after you jar em up the remaining moisture equalizes in the buds. jar em too wet and all the buds will remoisturize and mold will start to form.

H

HaHaHashish

Good advice PoweredByLove..and to the thread starter it's probably a good idea, as mentioned above, to get yourself a hygrometer so you know the exact relative humidity in the drying room and you can adjust to allow a slow dry, then a slow cure without doing it too fast (and lose terpenes) or too slow and get mold.

A digital hygrometers is a must for every grower, for vegging, flowering, drying, curing, storage and hash making, otherwise you are just guessing

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Does anyone leave their fan leaves on to keep the terpenes nice and preserved in the buds? My last harvest I chopped from the stalk and hung them from a string with a oscillating fan on for about 14-15 days the stems snapped perfectly and the smoke was more flavourful than anything I have ever bought from and the potency was amazing! Shitty part is I didn't even keep the flower around long due to my infatuation with the flavor hahaha but I think that leaving on the fan leaves may have a good effect on the flavor as the leaves cover the buds but still allow for ventilation through flowers without high volumes of the volatile oils evaporating off allowing for better overall taste :biggrin:

Douglas.Curtis

Does anyone leave their fan leaves on to keep the terpenes nice and preserved in the buds?
It can help keep things a bit more hydrated, otherwise (in a good drying environment) it doesn't matter. I prefer wet trimming, to preserve trichomes and because I really cannot stand the mess of dry trimming.

I like drifts of trichomes in my jars, not on my trim table/tray. ;)

H

HaHaHashish

If you want the maximum number of trichomes to remain on your buds then you have to do several things. Firstly only touch the buds on a living plant by holding the tip of a leaf so there is zero squashing or smearing of bud resin, I am blown away by all those so called experts on youtube who grab their buds during the grow. The same applies to cutting down a tree. Be very aware that every time a flower is touched, hundreds of resin heads are ruptured and lost so only hold the buds by a stem when cutting down during harvest to trimming. Dry by hanging, not on screens. Again, check out 99% of guys handling buds during harvest and drying online and most just maul, grab and destroy away resin.

I leave the small resin encrusted bud leaves on and I only remove these just prior to smoking. I find this is the best way to ensure maximum retention of trichomes on your bud, that and be very careful when handling the bud, ideally, it should never touch anything.

The main reason why your home grown is better than almost all the bought bud you try is because of poor handling. ...and of course, don't ever let your buds be put in a plastic bag, sandwich bags steal more resin than the police and the DEA. If you have to use baggies, then wrap the bud in baking parchment paper then place that package in a seal-able baggie so that the resin that falls off the dry buds will not be lost.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I would vote for poor growing as number 1. :tiphat: The poor handling certainly doesn't help.

Definitely agree with you on that poor horticultural practices. IMHO choosing using biology and harnessing the ecosystem you help keep alive in your super soil mix that's just my .02

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It can help keep things a bit more hydrated, otherwise (in a good drying environment) it doesn't matter. I prefer wet trimming, to preserve trichomes and because I really cannot stand the mess of dry trimming.

I like drifts of trichomes in my jars, not on my trim table/tray. ;)

Yep! Ditto.

Latest posts

Latest posts