What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

30k sealed room... Is this setup possible on 200amp pannel?

mikeross

I'm in the planning stages of building out a new grow. I'm planning to run 2 sealed flower rooms and a veg room.

I've calculated the load and I'm at approx. 165 amps for the following:
30 Gavita pro's, only 15 on at a time
3 Gavita pro's, for veg on 18hr
2 quest 225's, only 1 on at a time
20 wall fan, all on 24/7
4 36k btu mini splits, only 2 on at a time
5 10" inline fans, only 2 on 24/7, rest is to purge the sealed rooms few times a day, mainly at lights off.
couple pumps on timers, only on for a few minutes, a few times a day for feedings.

I've crunch the numbers and I'm at an over estimate load of 165amps. When I say over estimate the items like the inline fans, pumps are calculated as on 24/7 and items like the a/c and dehumidifiers are calculated at drawing full power which we all know the amp drawn on these items fluctuate by how hard they are working.

Anyways, that 165amps do not include items like my fridge, oven, laundry etc. I also don't know if some of the bigger items like the a/c will have a surge in power when they initially start up. Also even though I'm running these rooms on a flip, when one room isn't using the A/C for example I'm sure its still drawing some power, even though its not running.

I've read some journals with similar setups, actually some with a few more lights, all running off 200amps with no issues. Am I really over estimating my figures here... should I be concerned running the above setup off a 200 amp panel or am I good to go? I'm about 2 months away from starting this project. I'm meeting with an electrician next month whom probably can answer these questions for me but wanted to get feedback from the forums... thank you!

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
I'm in the planning stages of building out a new grow. I'm planning to run 2 sealed flower rooms and a veg room.

I've calculated the load and I'm at approx. 165 amps for the following:
30 Gavita pro's, only 15 on at a time
3 Gavita pro's, for veg on 18hr
2 quest 225's, only 1 on at a time
20 wall fan, all on 24/7
4 36k btu mini splits, only 2 on at a time
5 10" inline fans, only 2 on 24/7, rest is to purge the sealed rooms few times a day, mainly at lights off.
couple pumps on timers, only on for a few minutes, a few times a day for feedings.

I've crunch the numbers and I'm at an over estimate load of 165amps. When I say over estimate the items like the inline fans, pumps are calculated as on 24/7 and items like the a/c and dehumidifiers are calculated at drawing full power which we all know the amp drawn on these items fluctuate by how hard they are working.

Anyways, that 165amps do not include items like my fridge, oven, laundry etc. I also don't know if some of the bigger items like the a/c will have a surge in power when they initially start up. Also even though I'm running these rooms on a flip, when one room isn't using the A/C for example I'm sure its still drawing some power, even though its not running.

I've read some journals with similar setups, actually some with a few more lights, all running off 200amps with no issues. Am I really over estimating my figures here... should I be concerned running the above setup off a 200 amp panel or am I good to go? I'm about 2 months away from starting this project. I'm meeting with an electrician next month whom probably can answer these questions for me but wanted to get feedback from the forums... thank you!

If your estimation is right a stove can draw 30-50 amps at 240v so just having the stove and a few other household items would probably cause an overload and trip the main breaker. If your close to 165amp at 240v then it's more then likely gonna be an issue considering a 50 amp stove would by itself be enough to overload it. Plus with a flip your load is going to be continuous so not really possible to cook around the lights schedule or dry the laundry during lights off. If it was just a single version without the flip you could manage by not cooking and doing laundry while the lights are on but with a flip setup it's just not an option.

I have not done any math my post above is in regards to your initial post I have not calculated the load of the equipment listed.

Last edited:

mikeross

Definitely doable bro.. put them 200amps to use :tiphat: :joint:
:sasmokin:

If your estimation is right a stove can draw 30-50 amps at 240v so just having the stove and a few other household items would probably cause an overload and trip the main breaker. If your close to 165amp at 240v then it's more then likely gonna be an issue considering a 50 amp stove would by itself be enough to overload it. Plus with a flip your load is going to be continuous so not really possible to cook around the lights schedule or dry the laundry during lights off. If it was just a single version without the flip you could manage by not cooking and doing laundry while the lights are on but with a flip setup it's just not an option.

I have not done any math my post above is in regards to your initial post I have not calculated the load of the equipment listed.

I hear ya man. I'm moving forward with it no doubt, worse case is I run 12 lights per room instead of 15. Only real downtime off the constant load would be when the veg lights are off which give me 6 hours a day but I don't wanna live like that lol.

I guess my main question is how many amps these other appliances really draw and how many amps are the big items in my grow, like the A/C really draw. I've calculated everything at max load when I know max load occurs only a few seconds at start up.

Each A/C requires a 20amp breaker, that's at start up, once running and inverter takes over its not drawing nearly that much power. Stove for example runs off 40 amps but I just checked... the oven max draws 12 amps, biggest burner only draws 6 amps. Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
:sasmokin:

I hear ya man. I'm moving forward with it no doubt, worse case is I run 12 lights per room instead of 15. Only real downtime off the constant load would be when the veg lights are off which give me 6 hours a day but I don't wanna live like that lol.

I guess my main question is how many amps these other appliances really draw and how many amps are the big items in my grow, like the A/C really draw. I've calculated everything at max load when I know max load occurs only a few seconds at start up.

Each A/C requires a 20amp breaker, that's at start up, once running and inverter takes over its not drawing nearly that much power. Stove for example runs off 40 amps but I just checked... the oven max draws 12 amps, biggest burner only draws 6 amps. Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it.

It depends on how you use an appliance, All appliances have max loads and only draw maximum amperage when you crank them to the max. Example a dryer runs off 30 amp but it has a cool cycle which certainly wouldn't draw the same amperage as a high heat cycle. Same with your example of the stove above. If the wife decides to crank up the oven to 450 and turn on all the burners to cook a holiday meal you could easily approach the max load.

It also depends on lights, you could have several lighting circuits and if you install 8w led or 12w floro vs 100w incandescents can also make a difference way to many possible variables, so for that reason best to perform the load test.

The only way to know that accurately would be by running the house under normal load and doing a load test to find out what the typical draw is on any given Sunday. Once you know the typical load you can now better calculate what you can handle on top of the said load. You got the right idea though, good luck.

Last edited:

username474

A service upgrade isn't a big deal in most areas.
Say you are getting an electric car ect.ect You have months to go if I read that right. I have lived in a spot for months without being able do laundry, run the stove and eating out of a mini fridge. It gets old.

I did get good at cooking on grill during that time period, now that I think about it.

mikeross

A service upgrade isn't a big deal in most areas.
Say you are getting an electric car ect.ect You have months to go if I read that right. I have lived in a spot for months without being able do laundry, run the stove and eating out of a mini fridge. It gets old.

I did get good at cooking on grill during that time period, now that I think about it.

This is a legal grow. I'm already increasing the service from 100amp to 200amp. I asked for 400 amp upgrade but they said no bueno.

I spoke to a buddy of mine who recently upgraded from 200 amp to 400 amp residential service. Originally they said no to the 400 amp upgrade but he was persistent with the service company and they installed the 400 amp service. It cost almost 3 times as much money though compared to going from 100amp to 200amp.

hyposomniac

Maybe you can add an address, like 123 main st and 123b main st, and put in a separate 100amp service for household things.

Fixer

I don't have the math for you but I deal with this question frequently. Any electrician should be able to figure it for you. I know that you should only use 80% of what a circuit is rated for. There's another formula that's used to determine how many amps of breakers you can put into your panel. Hire an electrician to do the work and the calculations. If your house burns down the electrician should have insurance for that.

bs0

This is a legal grow. I'm already increasing the service from 100amp to 200amp. I asked for 400 amp upgrade but they said no bueno.

I spoke to a buddy of mine who recently upgraded from 200 amp to 400 amp residential service. Originally they said no to the 400 amp upgrade but he was persistent with the service company and they installed the 400 amp service. It cost almost 3 times as much money though compared to going from 100amp to 200amp.

The bigger upgrades need some fat copper wire. Not surprising.

Generally speaking, if you are going to be anywhere near your max for the service you want to upgrade. Better off knocking down some lights or find some efficiencies elsewhere, I wouldn't ever plan to be at 80% or higher of the total service.

asher1er

Veteran
id build out how you wanna run then start firing everything up.. I've personally ran more on 200amp, however it was a dedicated 200 and only for grow stuff. Both rooms where on a flip like you plan on doing.. i was not sharing the service with any household appliances. I like keeping my panel covers off on any new build for a while this way you can easily check for any wiring that is getting hot which is a good sign that its over loaded.

Im not a sparky by trade but we do have a handful of good ones on this board tho :tiphat: :joint:

prune

Veteran
Generally speaking, if you are going to be anywhere near your max for the service you want to upgrade. Better off knocking down some lights or find some efficiencies elsewhere, I wouldn't ever plan to be at 80% or higher of the total service.

This!

There's a reason for rules and regulations and the reason is usually dead bodies.
So you choose, do you want to listen to the experts, or just some numbnut on the internet?

mikeross

This!

There's a reason for rules and regulations and the reason is usually dead bodies.
So you choose, do you want to listen to the experts, or just some numbnut on the internet?

I'm gonna listen to the license electrician who's coming to access the project at the end of the month. I know he's done a few decent size ops so he's gonna know what's capable and safe.

Latest posts

Latest posts