What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lollipopping

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cherry trees and peach trees occasionally go through the process of thinning to create large clusters of fruit on upper and stronger branches. One difference though is fruit is also thinned while it well fruits, the smaller clusters are knocked off before ripe and the idea is the energy left makes some fat peaches or whatever. It is similar to the lollypopping concept.

The concept of lollipooping that I am discussing removes sunleaves which the zero heads believe to be blocking light from forming flowers which scientifically do not process sunlight anywhere near as much as sunleaves.

Pruning trees which I do weekly is a different process. One is removing growth in its entirety [eg part of a branch] and usually a weaker branch allowing more energy to go to potentially stronger areas.

If you remove entire branches [eg lower branches] from a cannabis plant, you may evoke this response, however this is pruning and not lollipopping.

Mr. J

I think the term is confusing because it means different things to different people. A proper pruning before initiating flowering is necessary unless you want a bunch of larf. That doesn't mean that you have to remove all the fans along with the "sucker" (another term I don't like) branches. But then it doesn't look like a lollypop so maybe there should be a different name for that. And then again that may not be something that you want or need to do depending on your system and all that. It all depends.

indagroove

Veteran
Pruning branches and copious individual leaves are entirely different animals. I guess the term fruitset was not covered in your horticultural classes? Maybe you can get your money back.

You wanna be specific and have a conversation based in reality instead of just throwing shade?

I provided a specific example, which you conveniently ignored.

indagroove

Veteran
The concept of lollipooping that I am discussing removes sunleaves which the zero heads believe to be blocking light from forming flowers which scientifically do not process sunlight anywhere near as much as sunleaves.

Pruning trees which I do weekly is a different process. One is removing growth in its entirety [eg part of a branch] and usually a weaker branch allowing more energy to go to potentially stronger areas.

If you remove entire branches [eg lower branches] from a cannabis plant, you may evoke this response, however this is pruning and not lollipopping.

I think that you're fundamentally misunderstanding what "lollipopping" is. Lollipopping IS branch pruning. Defoliation is a different method, which involves only leaf removal.

indagroove

Veteran
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot (20).jpg
    Screenshot (20).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 93

Mr. J

This argument is getting dumb so I'm just gonna say, there's a whole lotta "Top Shelf" posted around these parts that looks like trim-bin popcorn to me.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

You may be correct in what you think, however I started the thread and by looking at the photo from the tutorial I was presented with criticizing a posted photo of an outdoor plant which I harvested in my backyard looks like defoliating to me and this is what was presented to me.

backyard plant
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8998495&postcount=647

denuded plant
https://www.growweedeasy.com/lollip...tNvQVDPmxlMg4URiqeAOEMtIgXsp3aCoLkje6_Q4HuDf0

I know a tiny bit about growing, having done it indoor and outdoor for many years providing regular employment to around 5 people before it was legal. I introduced growing with living soil to the industry. I only began this thread as a lark. I wish I had not.

I agree with Mr J that this thread is dumb.

Mr. J

The article from the op is certainly pretty dumb on a number of levels. Not only does he do lollypopping wrong, which is a complete contradiction considering the name of the article, but he also says a bunch of other stuff that's really dumb, and it's poorly written as well. That whole website is full of bad advice.

indagroove

Veteran
You may be correct in what you think, however I started the thread and by looking at the photo from the tutorial I was presented with criticizing a posted photo of an outdoor plant which I harvested in my backyard looks like defoliating to me and this is what was presented to me.

backyard plant
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8998495&postcount=647

denuded plant
https://www.growweedeasy.com/lollip...tNvQVDPmxlMg4URiqeAOEMtIgXsp3aCoLkje6_Q4HuDf0

I know a tiny bit about growing, having done it indoor and outdoor for many years providing regular employment to around 5 people before it was legal. I introduced growing with living soil to the industry. I only began this thread as a lark. I wish I had not.

I also agree that this thread is dumb, but mostly because it's full of misinformation.

You don't want to respond to my query about cotton? I guess that's understandable, because it might discredit your way of thinking about defoliation.

Now you're gonna try to take credit for introducing "growing with living soil to the industry"? That's rich.

Mr. J

I'm bored though so I hope you guys continue arguing about it. FIGHT!!!FIGHT!!!FIGHT!!!!!

St. Phatty

Grow Purple Trainwreck, it's self-lollipopping.

All bigger buds. The HSO Purple Trainwreck.

I've heard people say that Lollipopping (removing teeny buds) helps to improve ventilation, one could always add MORE oscillating fans in the indoor grow environment.

One of the reasons the buds are teeny is, No Light. Well, less light.

A different approach to the situation - Add some 15 watt LED's around the bottom of the plant, spraying light on all the area that gets the teeny buds.

Has anybody tried this ? Add some lights around the bottom, focussed on the bottom bud sights - do those teeny buds get bigger ?

Mr. J

Grow Purple Trainwreck, it's self-lollipopping.

All bigger buds. The HSO Purple Trainwreck.

I've heard people say that Lollipopping (removing teeny buds) helps to improve ventilation, one could always add MORE oscillating fans in the indoor grow environment.

One of the reasons the buds are teeny is, No Light. Well, less light.

A different approach to the situation - Add some 15 watt LED's around the bottom of the plant, spraying light on all the area that gets the teeny buds.

Has anybody tried this ? Add some lights around the bottom, focussed on the bottom bud sights - do those teeny buds get bigger ?
It's a waste of energy. If you pruned correctly those teeny buds wouldn't exist in the first place and you could concentrate on the top of the plant where the good stuff grows.

jayd

i always trim up the bottoms on my plants. last grow i didnt trim up enough and had a fair few ozs of light airy buds. trimming up bottom 1/4 def helps get bigger buds up top and middle of the plants. yield is about the same but the quality looks better

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
It's a waste of energy. If you pruned correctly those teeny buds wouldn't exist in the first place and you could concentrate on the top of the plant where the good stuff grows.

i always trim up the bottoms on my plants. last grow i didnt trim up enough and had a fair few ozs of light airy buds. trimming up bottom 1/4 def helps get bigger buds up top and middle of the plants. yield is about the same but the quality looks better
I use to LST, ... and that's why I manifold these days. A 3/4 inch supply with 1/2 take offs.When I saw the vid, it made perfect sense. The energy comes from the roots, sometimes (I summize) there may be little if anything left for the tops, after the milk man dropped milk along his route. Works the same way as a 3/4 water supply system with 1/2 take offs in your house. AFAIC, who ever invented it was brilliant.

mexweed

Veteran
whenever I have 'brought the tops up' as it were, the tops always stretch a bit more and there are still smaller lower bud sites they are just higher up, some taller lankier strains get really flimsy doing this, I only do it as late as week 2 going into week 3 flower and never get too crazy during veg maybe chopping off the lowest branch set when I transplant, imo it's more about shaping the plant and keeping it neat than any sort of supposed increased yield performance

the bigger the buds the easier they can get moldy, even if they don't mold bigger buds sometimes take on a brownish hue almost like they are thinking about starting to rot

kiss applies to more than nutes

LordOfTheNugZ7

I never take off any leaves unless they are about to fall off anyway, it keeps things in the entire garden generally cleaner than letting them fall. But I also have more light penetration than most setups, so I am not trying to keep any bud sites small. I run 4 1kw lights from the top in a square and 2 400 watters on two open sides shining into the sides. This is how each flower room is setup for 5600 watts total. Defoliation before the leaves are done w their natural life and death processes steals from the integrity of the plants full life cycle.

Peace!

Bio boy

I use a combination
I lst my plants and top them I kinda do like a mainline lst where I let main arms come out I strip all the shoots off the arms and remove the lower few nodes but don’t mainline just build a strong base
I do this to clear up the bottoms and allow me water room as they sit on the soil I hate fighting a low scaffold of arms
i also remove leaves that hang on the soil or block the under growth I want to come up
I train my plants as I am limited to space ish only 4ft till light scorch lol , I let them grow up then and fill a Scrogg screen fully
I do remove some side shoots as I’ve learnt if not they grow somany buds in one place it goes rotten cause i need 1 arm in each square if I have 3 shoots in 1 square I will remove all but the strongest

after week 2 anything below my Scrog I remove as it’s a fat canopy above and I don’t want it trying to grow under makes mold so it’s removed to leave top buds they stay whispy under without light

I’ve just done some seeds I didn’t do any training on and let them grow up they have side arms and a top head but don’t look like flat canopy plants so heres My 1 trained and 1 not
the not trained one I have just taken 8 nice sized cuttings off the top so they bush now but it’s so much smaller they just grew up lol but I wanted to see charateristics naturaly to select as a mom
the one I trained I already Have 15 rooted cuts from lol she’s off in flower soon

seems if I defoliate big leaves in veg they fill out faster
and if I don’t bend them over and top them n strip the side shoot growth they don’t wanna fill up like this
when I top it makes sides bush out more and stop growing up

if I don’t do this then they have trouble filling my screen (colors off I know there waiting postman with my calcium for my new soil and big pots

but sayin that I have a few strains don’t fkin like ya nipping anything but that I find rarely

878E3589-0288-4D8A-B518-F6FC425F56C4.jpeg

Sasult

The only science on it I could find was from Institute of Soil Water and Environmental Sciences. Judging from this Double pruning makes the biggest difference. Pruning the plants twice, pruning the rooted cuttings at the day of transplanting to the experimental pots, leaving six primary branches and a second time at the transition to the short-day (Double prune). They do not clarify how they did the second prune.

Table 1. Effect of architecture-manipulation treatments on cannabinoid yield per plant in “drug-type” cannabis. Different superscript letters in a column represent significant differences between treatments by Tukey HSD test at α = 0.05. Data are averages ± SE (n = 6).
Architecture Manipulation Treatments​
CBGA
(g/plant)​
CBDA
(g/plant)​
CBDVA
(g/plant)​
THCA
(g/plant)​
THCVA
(g/plant)​
CBCA
(g/plant)​
Control
0.917 ± 0.06 ab​
14.099 ± 0.95 bc​
0.928 ± 0.06 b​
0.794 ± 0.05 bc​
0.043 ± 0 b​
0.933 ± 0.06 b​
Defoliation
0.783 ± 0.08 b​
13.364 ± 1.43 bc​
0.911 ± 0.1 b​
0.769 ± 0.08 bc​
0.041 ± 0 b​
0.873 ± 0.09 b​
1 BBLR + Defoliation
0.921 ± 0.09 ab​
15.287 ± 1.42 bc​
1.076 ± 0.1 b​
0.89 ± 0.08 b​
0.048 ± 0 b​
0.994 ± 0.09 b​
BBLR
0.927 ± 0.05 ab​
13.584 ± 0.74 bc​
0.891 ± 0.05 b​
0.765 ± 0.04 bc​
0.041 ± 0 b​
0.895 ± 0.05 b​
2° Branch removal
0.711 ± 0.03 b​
11.453 ± 0.52 c​
0.786 ± 0.04 b​
0.611 ± 0.03 c​
0.036 ± 0 b​
0.756 ± 0.03 b​
1° Branch removal
0.146 ± 0.01 c​
0.377 ± 0.03 d​
0.028 ± 0 c​
0.02 ± 0 d​
0.001 ± 0 c​
0.029 ± 0 c​
Single prune
0.931 ± 0.04 ab​
16.194 ± 0.7 b​
1.076 ± 0.05 b​
0.855 ± 0.04 bc​
0.049 ± 0 b​
0.992 ± 0.04 b​
Double prune
1.079 ± 0.08 a​
22.446 ± 1.67 a​
1.5 ± 0.11 a​
1.199 ± 0.09 a​
0.066 ± 0 a​
1.378 ± 0.1 a​

Rico Swazi

Not a dumb thread at all, so much passion and differing opinions on the subject. Funny comparison to cotton as hops would be better example IMO
Wasn't gonna post but since it got legs, perhaps we could have a contest ?

20201024_141903.jpg

Edit to add this pic... was a rooted clone not stem in soil

20201118_080909.jpg

Last edited:

linde

I always lollipop my plants. Strip bottom sucker branches that get no light and suck the life out of the tops. I'll then use them for clones or feed to my cats

Latest posts

Latest posts