What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor landrace preservation techniques.

Rembetis

Thanks! Shaman looks fun. I've been thinking about the "grow plants closer to your own latitude" idea. Next run I have some Syrian, which are a little further north than the Johaaar (34N compared to 29N)

You cant go wrong with any of those Middle Eastern strains. They are very easy to grow. I love the balanced high they give.

Breadwizard

Good luck with the Syrian, the "Indica" presenting phenotype seems to do better indoors, the "Sativa" presenting pheno loathed to be kept indoors, and was a low-yelder vs. the same cutting kept outdoors on a sunny patio.

I love those big central colas. I hate to give those up so I dont top. If you bend the top down below the side growth it helps to stop the upward growth the same as topping.

Yeah there's no "side gowth" to speak of as I have grown these so far. Quite weird. The lower growth is smaller than a penny on any given node on the un-topped ones, the topped ones thickened up and vigorously grew the branches out. The three un-topped ones are gonna move or be tied down tomorrow. Last night they were already to the top of my canopy. **Edit: the topped plants were going to be mothers, but my clones took so long that I flipped the mothers instead of sexing the clones.

Not sure if it's the difference of a week in veg or what. As of now they look like they prefer being topped (above the first set of three blades leaves). Total opposite of what I expected. I figured the topped ones would be stunted by such early topping, but instead they almost came back more vigorous. Immediately putting on two nodes and five to seven finger leaves off the first two nodes from seed.

Not sure if this is skunk showing through, or if topping sativas earlier than indicas is key. I have never topped so young and had anything recover so well.

I don't generally like topping yield or consistency wise, but I basically have to unless I want to move or tie down these girls. I'm running over a dozen small plants, and want to avoid tying anything down or using a scrog. It's impractical in my boxes. As you can see, veg is literally overflowing into a cardboard box.... I'm selecting mothers hence the [temporary] high plant count.

Day after agressively early top:
picture.php

After I think 4 days, still on 16/8:
picture.php

I think node count before flip is probably everything. The topped girls got only two nodes per branch before flip. Maybe they will act like sativas and grow super awesome colas

I already have a couple haze bagseeds running, so I already have plants duct taped down and shit, and they aren't finishing in any hurry either...I don't want to deal with several bound plants.... Same reason I do SOG over scrog.

Just thinking out loud. Not landrace sativas, but stretchy sativas nonetheless.

The un-topped plants have grown from 6" to 15" in 11 days of 11/13. They were starting their 4th nodes when I flipped them. 24 days from seed. It's been about an inch per day since flip.... And they only had a few nodes to stretch :/

Last edited:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82446&pictureid=2081699&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82446&pictureid=2081700&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
Hitting 60cm now. Johaar2 #5 & #1, & an MSNL "100% thai sativa" called Buddah (not seen this on sale elsewhere - might be a genuine IBL)

Am now also wondering if I should have topped earlier...

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82548&pictureid=2081669&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

What day did you pop these? Mine are around sep 1 and flipped on 25th.
Height and structure looks similar.

Un-topped- day 12 of 11/13 schedule
picture.php

Topped, day 5 of 11/13
picture.php

Last edited:

aliceklar

What day did you pop these? Mine are around sep 1 and flipped on 25th.
Height and structure looks similar.

Seeds started 31st August under 18/6, went to 12/12 on 3rd Oct, and down to 11/13 on 6th Oct.

Topping looks like it can make a dramatic difference. I was trying to avoid it to keep the plants less bulky, by using small pots this time. Aiming for a bud on a stick and some seeds from each one. Think I vegged for too long, and under too long a light schedule...

Have just pulled a couple of the old clone mtohers that I have backed up with healthy new cuttings, to make a bit more room.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I really dig older sat Dom euphoric chemovars. I digress I am on the 45 parallel or thereabouts...so I have 4-5 solid months of below 40f temps. May I ask the farmers here with experience trying this would give for advice in regards to all facets/stages of life for the chemovars. Can newer led tech get the job done for landraces? I appreciate your advice/help.:dance013:
Yes the original post above was about older sativa dominant landrace.

Techniques I have used have included brutal monster cropping almost all the way through flower; restricting the roots by using smaller pots, then repotting midway through flower, and flipping to flower cycle when the plants are very small(under 30cm).

Also once I switched to LED I noticed less stem growth which is great if you are growing these as they stretch like crazy.

I have successfully grown pure sativas up to 24 week flower using these techniques.