What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Based Diet

Gry

Went with a plant based diet when I found out I had cancer.
Should have done it years earlier.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Risk of cancer was one of the reasons that I began a plant based diet. As I said earlier, I am at risk of heart disease and certain cancers. I had an uncle who died of a heart attack at 56, and reaching that age myself was a bit of motivation.

Thanks for all the reply's. I was in two minds whether to start this thread. I have copped a bit of a backlash from friends and colleagues regarding my food choices. Who'd have thought a diet choice can bring about hostility from others.

I used to enjoy meat dishes, especially meat curry's. It took a couple of weeks to get used to using beans or tofu in curry's but I now find I enjoy them as much, if not more, than my old meat based dishes. I even invented a vegan spagetti bolognase that I am happy with.

Does anyone know of good recipe sites for plant based diets? I know of the popular ones such as forks over knives and game changers. Any other good ones?

St. Phatty

It's obvious that many health issues are directly related to bad food habits. :tiphat:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gas-chamber/

So much for Snopes.

I remember this little piece of news, when it was reported in the late 90's.

The article was mostly accurate, and the reporter was not a scientist, so I guess they got one part wrong.

There was some guy, maybe in the New York area, maybe in Chicago, who died, and the article describes his condition.

Lots of gas, a diet of cabbages and beans, something like that.

His apartment did smell really bad, and, if one of the city staff had to have medical care afterwards, so be it, hard to fudge that.

The article speculated about the cause of death. I guess Snopes wants to make sure that part of the story was corrected.

Anyway, sounds like the guy could have used some variety in his diet.

imiubu

Risk of cancer was one of the reasons that I began a plant based diet. As I said earlier, I am at risk of heart disease and certain cancers. I had an uncle who died of a heart attack at 56, and reaching that age myself was a bit of motivation.

Thanks for all the reply's. I was in two minds whether to start this thread. I have copped a bit of a backlash from friends and colleagues regarding my food choices. Who'd have thought a diet choice can bring about hostility from others.

I used to enjoy meat dishes, especially meat curry's. It took a couple of weeks to get used to using beans or tofu in curry's but I now find I enjoy them as much, if not more, than my old meat based dishes. I even invented a vegan spagetti bolognase that I am happy with.

Does anyone know of good recipe sites for plant based diets? I know of the popular ones such as forks over knives and game changers. Any other good ones?

IME it takes determination, time and a fair amount of finessing to change our eating habits/ lifestyles. Finding what is best for our personal needs for optimum health may create confusion, frustration etc... that can hinder or even halt necessary changes. Unfortunately, some of that frustration arrives from friends and loved ones, sigh.

Staying with what works best for individual needs can be tough. Especially when we were raised with and as adults, ate as we were raised, even when it has brought us to poor health. Breaking old habits and avoiding those old comfort foods takes some serious wherewithal indeed.

I'm happy to hear that a plant based lifestyle is working out for you. Developing new recipes and having them be tasty is a serious win.

How long have you been eating plant based?
Have you had any lab work done since doing so to compare to those you had prior to changing eating habits? I certainly would be interested in those.

Stay the course if it's working for you. :headbange
If I had listened to naysayers when I was young, I would have never smoked weed! JS :D

X

xavier7995

Just want to give tofu a shoutout. Its a great medium for a bunch of different flavors. I found how to not make it mushy garbage.

You can find extra firm tofu at most grocery stores, make sure what you buy is firm/extra firm and NOT silken.

Take it out of the package, its a big wet off white block. The key is to get as much of that water out as possible, thats what makes tofu gross. I cut the block into roughly 1 inch cubes (they will shrink by half when cooking) and then stick between a few layers of paper towels and put a cutting board on top with something on it to weigh it down to press out the water, takes 10 minutes to an hour...it isnt exact. While thats drying out, grab a wire rack and cookie sheet and spray the rack with some cooking spray and put on cookie sheet. Turn oven to 400 and bake those cubes for about an hour till they are golden brown, shrink down in size but sort of puff out on the sides.

Then just use however, its a good conduit for sauces. You can toss it in a skillet with a small bit of sesame oil and eat plain, dip in BBQ like chicken nuggets, etc. Ready to get thrown into stir fry stuff.

If you freeze and then thaw it before baking you get a more porous texture.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
IME it takes determination, time and a fair amount of finessing to change our eating habits/ lifestyles. Finding what is best for our personal needs for optimum health may create confusion, frustration etc... that can hinder or even halt necessary changes. Unfortunately, some of that frustration arrives from friends and loved ones, sigh.

Staying with what works best for individual needs can be tough. Especially when we were raised with and as adults, ate as we were raised, even when it has brought us to poor health. Breaking old habits and avoiding those old comfort foods takes some serious wherewithal indeed.

I'm happy to hear that a plant based lifestyle is working out for you. Developing new recipes and having them be tasty is a serious win.

How long have you been eating plant based?
Have you had any lab work done since doing so to compare to those you had prior to changing eating habits? I certainly would be interested in those.

Stay the course if it's working for you. :headbange
If I had listened to naysayers when I was young, I would have never smoked weed! JS :D
To answer your questions. I have been doing this for nearly a year. Started in November last year. Before that I had been incorporating more and more plant based recipes over a 6 month period so the change wasn't a huge shock. I had cut down meat from two meals a day to about 3 meals a week.

I had blood tests 3 months after starting this which were great. Nothing deficient, although I do supplement with B12, as everyone should if they follow this way of eating. Lower cholesterol, PSA levels were down (prostate cancer) although this had started to drop earlier as I had gradually been eating more and more plant based before switching over completely. In fact the good tests I got from reducing meat was the main reason I chose to go completely meat and dairy free. I have also had a calcium score test which turned out great for my age, but I have no idea if the plant based diet had any effect on that or not. Calcium score was 29, age 56. Also blood pressure has gone down.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Just want to give tofu a shoutout. Its a great medium for a bunch of different flavors. I found how to not make it mushy garbage.

You can find extra firm tofu at most grocery stores, make sure what you buy is firm/extra firm and NOT silken.

Take it out of the package, its a big wet off white block. The key is to get as much of that water out as possible, thats what makes tofu gross. I cut the block into roughly 1 inch cubes (they will shrink by half when cooking) and then stick between a few layers of paper towels and put a cutting board on top with something on it to weigh it down to press out the water, takes 10 minutes to an hour...it isnt exact. While thats drying out, grab a wire rack and cookie sheet and spray the rack with some cooking spray and put on cookie sheet. Turn oven to 400 and bake those cubes for about an hour till they are golden brown, shrink down in size but sort of puff out on the sides.

Then just use however, its a good conduit for sauces. You can toss it in a skillet with a small bit of sesame oil and eat plain, dip in BBQ like chicken nuggets, etc. Ready to get thrown into stir fry stuff.

If you freeze and then thaw it before baking you get a more porous texture.
Yes tofu has become a favourite ingredient of mine. It is really versatile. I mainly use mine in curries where beans wont provide the right texture or flavour.

I also eat a bit of tempeh as well, although I find that flavours vary quite a bit with different brands. Miso is another fermented soy based product that I use once or twice a week.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
i have considered going plant based myself. the problem for me is the fact that most vegan products are highly processed foods which is something i try to avoid. that as well as the fact that it is quite difficult to get certain vitamins and minerals without meat has kept me from pulling the trigger but i would really like to find a way to make it happen. anyone have any good resources for nutritional information regarding plant based dieting?

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Plant Pure Nation

YouTube

Google

have recipes. Try fasting.

Some information you see is incomplete or advertises something for sale. Fasting can also be described as eating enough or not overeating. There is no special requirement for a keto diet. If you wait enough hours or days and only drink water you will feel your body change to consuming fat. Raw nuts and seeds or trail mix fit the definition of keto paleo friendly gluten free vegan healthy oil carbs and protein.

One grain and one legume have all essential amino acids. Chickpeas have starch protein and vitamins. Fruit and leafy vegetables have carbs sugar and fiber. Rice and peas is a complete meal. Or corn and peas, rice and beans, corn and rice.

Coconuts and avocados have water vitamins amino acids sugar fiber.

Veggia farmer

Have been on vegans diets for short periods. Like the way of feeling "light" but I often get to a point were Im really meat hungry. So I instead eat meat with consciousness. What does a wolf after eating a prey? Relax. Reloading energi.

They say meat clogs your blood veins with fats. So A little bit of wine is also good ;) Antioxidants. Alchohol also solve fats. So meat together with half a glass untill two glass I like.

The doctor said I had Ideal to low bloodpressure.

Eating very much plant based when working a lot for some days in a row, works good.

Gladiatores, beans and barley!

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

'Boogieman'

Do you guys have to eat more or get hungry faster? I could never do it, I'm afraid I would lose weight and muscle.

troutman

Seed Whore
The best is if a person would grow some of their own food using Heirloom seeds to avoid GMO's,pesticides,etc. :)

WelderDan

Veteran
I don't know if I could go full plant based. I do love my veggies, and I eat a wide variety of them. I like broccoli and asparagus and brussels sprouts, cauliflower, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens. And beans, I love beans, all kinds of beans. Shit I even eat beets!

But I love me some pulled pork and grilled steak! And bacon!

If I had no choice, I suppose I could do it. No Tofurky for me though. If you don't want to eat meat, fine, but lets not make a tofu turkey. Who are you fooling here? I don't get trying to make plants look and taste like meat if you don't want to eat meat. Makes no sense.

Anyway, I have been upping the veggies, cutting back on red meat and eating more chicken and lean pork. I wish I could eat more fish, but unless I catch it myself, it ain't happening except for special occasions. Unless canned tuna fish counts!

This getting old shit sucks

Latest posts

Latest posts