What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Combating too much negative pressure in a grow tent

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
i use the gse controller, with matched intake and exhaust fans,

and when needed i just simply put the bamboos between the tent and the bars than fixed with ducttape or cable fixer something
iu

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
there might be someone who is already making the 3D clips for tent poles. i'd browse Etsy and see.
I don't have anything useful to add, but if anybody needs shit 3d printed let me know. I'm on the east coast though, and shipping is always the prohibitive cost.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use a 6 inch fan/filter for exhaust and a 4 inch fan for intake air,balances out to negative pressure without sucking the sides of the tent in too much...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
there might be someone who is already making the 3D clips for tent poles. i'd browse Etsy and see.
Go to your local hardware store and get some PVC "T" "elbows" etc... They should slide easily over 1/2" tube. Buy one try it out, if it fits your golden. If it doesn't is it salvageable. Total fix... under $15 USD

SamsonsRiddle

the pvc box method works good; make a pvc "box" that sits just inside your poles and runs 1/3-1/2 way up your tent. don't glue anything together and buy a $20 pvc cutter. could build it all with a pvc cutter, measuring tape, and a marker in maybe an hour or two.

white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-schedule-40-pipe-pvc-04007-0600-64_1000.jpg

sch-40-90-degree-side-outlet-slip-slip-slip-elbow.jpg

sch-40-tee_1.jpg

husky-pipe-tube-cutters-16pl0101-1-64_1000.jpg

dsc01914.jpg

also can be used as a scrog

Bmac1

Veteran
the pvc box method works good; make a pvc "box" that sits just inside your poles and runs 1/3-1/2 way up your tent. don't glue anything together and buy a $20 pvc cutter. could build it all with a pvc cutter, measuring tape, and a marker in maybe an hour or two.

View Image
View Image

View Image
View Image
View Image

also can be used as a scrog

I have built something similar already and just would need a few of the corner pieces. I also like the idea of a tee directly on the tent poles. I have some things to think about. Thanks all.

Bmac1

Veteran
Thank you all for the input here. I just bought 2 new tents which are basically unbranded gorilla tents so the 1680D Fabric will be much heavier than my current Secret Jardin. I have also ordered those pvc corners and will build out a frame for each. I will shoot for 2 passive intakes per tent but space will ultimately dictate if that works. Otherwise I am going to get a 6 inch duct fan for intake.

Now I need a new filter and a couple of flood trays. Remodeling has me excited.

From the research I did last spring, the cheap speed controls they sell EVERYWHERE distort the AC signal which causes motor hum and can wear out your fan motor. Most of the speed controls sold are set at 70-75% even at the lowest setting from what I read. These transformers fix your signal so you can dial them down to nothing. The tents are the symptom, not the problem. Air speed control is the problem IMHO.https://www.amazon.com/Anesty-Varia...t=&hvlocphy=9016138&hvtargid=pla-726426689484

Last edited:

Bmac1

Veteran
My 6 inch fan is going to be exhausting 2 4x4 tents so downsizing isn't the answer. I am going to try the pvc frame idea and will further brace the poles where necessary.

The front burner issue at the moment is coming up with a clip/mount for some 8" oscillating fans for circulation. If anyone has any broken vivosun poll fans, send the clips on over, lol.

indagroove

Veteran
Make a new bottom vent. Keep making it bigger until the tent stops shrinking. :biggrin:

I personally have two (passive) bottom vents, each the same size and my (active) exhaust, and it's not enough to mitigate the issue completely. I really don't want more holes.

Bmac1

Veteran
I use 1x2 furring strips like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-2-in-x-8-ft-Furring-Strip-Board-160954/100009348

I cut them to size and dril a single 1/4" hole in each end and attach to the corner poles with zipties. I do two strips per side, one a couple feet up from the bottom and one a couple feet down from the top, or you can just do one in the middle..

View Image

Nice bit of work there. Do you have issues with them wanting to slide to the bottom or do the zip ties hold them pretty good?

I just got the PVC and a cutter today to make the scrog/support frames. I imagine two levels of that and then if thats not enough, I will like do something like this.

Got to get an idea for the fan mounts. One thing that was a bit surprising is the weight of these new tents. They are very heavy with the 1680D fabric and 1 inch poles. I am thinking that just the weight of the fabric may not be sucked in as bad as my current tent.

indagroove

Veteran
Nice bit of work there. Do you have issues with them wanting to slide to the bottom or do the zip ties hold them pretty good?

I just got the PVC and a cutter today to make the scrog/support frames. I imagine to levels of that and then if thats not enough, I will like do something like this.

Got to get an idea for the fan mounts. One thing that was a bit surprising is the weight of these new tents. They are very heavy with the 1680D fabric and 1 inch poles. I am thinking that just the weight of the fabric may not be sucked in as bad as my current tent.

Naw, they don't slide down at all. I got a new tent this year too with 1680d fabric, and it was better than my 10-year old worn out tent, but still sucked in a bit once the fan was all hooked up, and yes I do have a fan adjuster too, which I generally set at 75% for my 440cfm fan in a 4'x4' tent.