What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeking advice for indoor grow

Attachments

• IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 23

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking nice, the tiny bit of clawing (leaf curving down) on the most narrow leaf plants is probably slightly too much N or heat... but nothing much to worry about.

one idea i forgot to suggest earlier, you might get away with splitting the height of the veg cabinet into two so that you had a small area below the main one... it only needs t be about a foot high to get a couple of little lights in and then you can use it for cloning and very small plants/seedlings. just gives you a bit extra space.
i have a 4ft high cabinet split like that and just about get away with it.

VG

Light Green Plants

Light Green Plants

Some of my girls are not looking the healthiest; they are all a bit more light green than I would expect, some more so than others. It is quite difficult to see these issues in photos taken under the grow light so I pulled them out to take some photos under a house light. Being a novice I have not been sure what to think other than that maybe they had some nitrogen deficiency which is causing the lightening but they have not shown much if any improvement when fed high nitrogen fish fertilizer with their water. Potentially something to do with my light? I do not think that they are getting too hot, the closet is well ventilated. Thank you in advance to all who lend their expertise. May have to post about it in the infirmary, i'm unsure of the common protocol for this. Peace

Attachments

• IMG_3374.jpg
    IMG_3374.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3371.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3373.jpg
    IMG_3373.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3372.jpg
    IMG_3372.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 25

Vesti

Hey Mango - I'm new to ICMAG myself, seems like a great place for advice from good folks.

I love what you are doing with an economy of space!

Overall lightness of color, especially when it appears to progress from lower areas to upper, often indicates a nitrogen deficiency. If the gals were still in veg I would recommend a foliar feeding with some high N solution (probably with some cal/mag included), but once you are in flower foliars get a little dicey because you certainly don't want to be saturating the buds with anything. You might try a very light foliar on fans if you can shield buds enough - should be doable from what I see in the pics.

Leaf "clawing" can also be either over or under watering, and if the leaves were a very dark green I also would suggest N toxicity, but the lightness indicates differently IMO.

If you are giving them lots of N already, then there might be a pH problem causing lockout, so check levels of runoff or get a soil pH meter, but my guess is that they just need a bit more N in their regimen. Sensi, I think, has a calmag with some N, which I used to use to great effect in similar situations before going fully organic.

Good luck, and I'm sure you're going to rock this grow!

Thanks Vesti. The advice is greatly appreciated, I will try a light foliar spray. This forum definitely a great place to learn from other people's experience, with time hopefully I can transition to the other side and contribute to the forum as a knowledgeable canna gardener, but maybe some will be able learn from my mistakes as well.

Vesti

Hope it helps! Just bear in mind, and apologies if this is obvious, that you don't want to fertilize the flower - pretty much anything that gets on them will remain as residue if only in tiny amounts.

Update: Harvest

Update: Harvest

Hello brothers and sisters. I am proud to announce that I have reached the point of harvest with my first serious crop. Although I ran into some snags along the way, I learned a lot and still achieved a small harvest that I am quite happy with. I am about to send a second crop into flower after making some changes in my growing medium that I will detail in a future post. Please enjoy my photos. I do not have a lens to take pretty crystal close-ups but I did my best.
Peace and Love family!

Attachments

• IMG_3450.jpg
    IMG_3450.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3448.jpg
    IMG_3448.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3430.jpg
    IMG_3430.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3433.jpg
    IMG_3433.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3422.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3457.jpg
    IMG_3457.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 31
I have taken some wet samples for testing, and am left very pleased with the effects. One of the mango hashplants seems to be particularly potent. I am learning about curing methods as well so I am hoping that the buds' beneficial attributes will be enhanced given time.

Vesti

Nicely done! Small spaces are tough, and especially for a first grow it looks like you managed really well.

Early on you mentioned the idea of a pheno hunt - find anything good/worth keeping around? Sorry of you've mentioned this somewhere, or took a different tack I didn't see.

Its a good time to address the issues I faced during this grow cycle. I was plagued by nutrient deficiencies which I was unable to remedy during the life of the plants and caused them to be quite unhealthy and I believe very stunted. (I'll come back to the nutrient issue in a moment) Luckily, these girls were resilient enough to continue to develop their flowers even as the leaves took a turn for the worst, which resulted in the harvest I collected which was about 1 and a half ounces.

The females I ended up with were:
Twin Flame 2 and 4
Mango Lotus 2 and 3
Mango Hashplant 1 and 3

MHP1 took a turn for the worst with the nutrient issues so I harvested very early. It had a mild buzz but I will have to grow it again in order to give it a fair evaluation. (The clones I took are now ready to place into flower)

The standout flowers are coming off of TF4 and MHP3, with MHP3 being a real winner in my eyes. It is quite potent with a bit of a punch to the initial hit, and it also has a very psychedelic effect which sometimes has me focusing on random parts of my surroundings as if everything is coming alive around me. The flavor is nothing particular to speak of so far but may need more curing time. Samples are just now starting to be dry enough to smoke properly after slow drying for a while.

Oh back to the nutrient issue...

I procured a pH and nutrient level test kit and decided to start from scratch mixing soil and amending as needed after testing periodically. I first mixed the same topsoil and peat moss mixture as I had used before. I left out the compost this time mostly because the compost pile was running out of decomposed material for me to use. I then adjusted the pH with lime, testing periodically until I hit the sweet spot. I then tested the levels of Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus. The results surprised me a bit but they also made everything become clear in regards to the issues I had before. I had very low nitrogen levels, which explains why my plants were yellowing in the veg period, an issue I had resolved by feeding liquid fish fertilizer. I had assumed that because my levels of nitrogen were low, I was likely to have low nutrients across the board. That was why I attempted to supplement the phosphorus and potassium levels with nutrients for the flower stage. The nutrient tests revealed this to be an exercise in vain however, as they showed that the levels of phosphorus and potassium introduced into the soil mix from my local topsoil were very high already. I believe over feeding led to nutrient lockout and stunted my plants. Now that I have a more properly amended soil and healthy clones, I am ready to begin flowering once again to achieve greater quality and yields! Again thanks to everyone who has contributed their knowledge to aid me in this rewarding and magical journey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts