What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ISO alcohol shortage

Klompen

For a very long time I have done extracts of my trim and other waste materials with isopropyl alcohol, but lately there's been no alcohol at any store I have checked. I have half a bottle of 91% left and I really need to make some oil out of our trim so this bud lasts us until our fall harvest(hopefully that works out...). Does anyone have alternative ideas for how I should extract temporarily(or permanently I guess)? Everclear seems kind of insanely expensive, and I can't get clean hexane. Not sure I have anywhere safe to do butane either. It would be ideal to have something I can soak it in.

Lrus007

Veteran
are you in the USA ?
i see some on line. was for 99% iso.
my local stores do not have any either.
good luck on your search.

rolandomota

Cut it with water 50 50 or soak the material first with water then drain it and use the iso. Ideally do both 45 % iso will still extract it's just going to take longer to dry
You can also split the material and wash it using the same iso if it's not enough
even cut with water it could be not enough liquid to wash so splitting the material in two, four, or more parts and reusing the iso might help definitely wetting the dry material first so the material doesn't absorb much iso will help

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For a very long time I have done extracts of my trim and other waste materials with isopropyl alcohol, but lately there's been no alcohol at any store I have checked. I have half a bottle of 91% left and I really need to make some oil out of our trim so this bud lasts us until our fall harvest(hopefully that works out...). Does anyone have alternative ideas for how I should extract temporarily(or permanently I guess)? Everclear seems kind of insanely expensive, and I can't get clean hexane. Not sure I have anywhere safe to do butane either. It would be ideal to have something I can soak it in.

quarts of 99% iso is like 14 bucks at my local grow shop...i've seen it online at growershouse

Amynamous

I tried to google why there’s a shortage and this was all i could find...and it’s two years old.
“Propene (or propylene) is an important chemical building block. It is usually produced as one product of steam cracking in the petrochemical industry. However, a rising propene demand and the increased use of shale gas in some applications has led to serious shortages in propene supply.”

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I laughed when I saw large jugs of iso at my local grow store. :biggrin:

my buddy bought a 5 gallon bucket of it...at that point it was already scarce...

it kills me to buy it,but it can't be beat for keeping an extra set of scissors soaking while trimming...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Walmart.com has plenty. $2.59 for 2 quart bottles.

However, in lieu of an ISO extraction, you might consider buying a press and using rosin in the future. I switched from ISO to rosin and I am 100% happier.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Out here where I live in the Ozarks, my buddies have been making hand sanitizer for years...

picture.php

Klompen

Walmart.com has plenty. $2.59 for 2 quart bottles.

However, in lieu of an ISO extraction, you might consider buying a press and using rosin in the future. I switched from ISO to rosin and I am 100% happier.

I admit that I don't really understand how that works. Is it actually possible to just squeeze out the cannabinoids? Iso extraction is just about the only thing I have ever used. Going with no solvents would be fine with me though if that would work well....

Klompen

Cut it with water 50 50 or soak the material first with water then drain it and use the iso. Ideally do both 45 % iso will still extract it's just going to take longer to dry
You can also split the material and wash it using the same iso if it's not enough
even cut with water it could be not enough liquid to wash so splitting the material in two, four, or more parts and reusing the iso might help definitely wetting the dry material first so the material doesn't absorb much iso will help

Thanks... I always dried the material out fully before extracting... Am I doing it wrong?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I admit that I don't really understand how that works. Is it actually possible to just squeeze out the cannabinoids? Iso extraction is just about the only thing I have ever used. Going with no solvents would be fine with me though if that would work well....

Exactly. Check out DabPress.com. There are cheaper presses and also plenty of DIY methods.

Hair straighteners were the first DIY. Just take a piece of standard oven baking parchment and put a small bud in between. Press it all together and the oils just ooooooooooze right on out. Then, you collect it off the parchment and vape it or use it in edibles.

The best part about using rosin for edibles is that it doesn't taste so terribly horrible like most other methods.

There's a huge thread on rosin collecting here at ICMag.

Latest posts

Latest posts