What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD peak?

RoyalDankness

Hello everyone!

Been lurking for a long time, fresh account made along with my return to growing!

I'm doing my first CBD strain ever, ACDC, back when I was growing THC strains I harvested when I had around 25-30% amber trichs.

Is there such a thing as CBD peak that I should catch when harvesting? Beginning to get closer to the end of the cycle with alot of cloudy trichomes.

Is it all genetics or does harvesting timing affect the CBD outcome at all?

Thanks!

GoatCheese

Veteran
According to Shantibaba from CBD Crew/Mr Nice, for peak CBD % you should harvest CBD-rich plants about a week earlier than you'd harvest a normal THC-only plant, because some of the CBD start to slowly break down later on.
...so maybe around when the resin is milky and just a little amber here and there for peak CBD?!

I have flowered my CBD Critical Cure plant to 16-17 weeks, thou it is a 11 week plant, and the effect isn't much different to as if i'd harvest it at 12 weeks as i normally do. It's still potent stuff and the CBD effect is noticably inhibiting the effects of the THC-only bud i smoke with it. Ofcourse it mellows out abit, the THC% in it as well, when i take it down that late, but there is still plenty of CBD in the bud even if you'd miss the optimal harvest window. So no worries, it's not like half of the CBD is going to disappear if you harvest it with 30-50% amber resin if it's a high cannabinoid%-plant.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We harvest similarly using jeweler's loupe when trichs are cloudy. No complaints with either customers or myself using that method.

RoyalDankness

According to Shantibaba from CBD Crew/Mr Nice, for peak CBD % you should harvest CBD-rich plants about a week earlier than you'd harvest a normal THC-only plant, because some of the CBD start to slowly break down later on.
...so maybe around when the resin is milky and just a little amber here and there for peak CBD?!

I have flowered my CBD Critical Cure plant to 16-17 weeks, thou it is a 11 week plant, and the effect isn't much different to as if i'd harvest it at 12 weeks as i normally do. It's still potent stuff and the CBD effect is noticably inhibiting the effects of the THC-only bud i smoke with it. Ofcourse it mellows out abit, the THC% in it as well, when i take it down that late, but there is still plenty of CBD in the bud even if you'd miss the optimal harvest window. So no worries, it's not like half of the CBD is going to disappear if you harvest it with 30-50% amber resin if it's a high cannabinoid%-plant.

Thank you GoatCheese! Very interesting that you tried flowering for so long, thanks for sharing the results!

We harvest similarly using jeweler's loupe when trichs are cloudy. No complaints with either customers or myself using that method.

Yeah I'm using a loupe as well, tried the fancy digital handheld microscope thing, analog it is for me haha!

So you don't wait for amber trichs at all? That's what I've heard in the passed as well, but when reading up on it now I didn't find all that much on it.

CannaDaBiz

amber means that CBD or THC has converted into CBN. CBN also has medicinal properties, but as far as i know it only is about 1/10th effective to same things as CBD and its health benefits seem near identical to CBD. But there might be more about CBN we dont know.

If you let it turn more amber it creates different entourage effect when combined with THC strains than if you just let it be milky.

CBD takes away from the psychoactive effects of THC and sorta clears your head a bit(while maintaining some effects still), it is an antipsychotic. CBN on the other hand makes the high more sleepy and makes the THC strains more couch locky and body high(cbd also does a small body high itself).

So it might be in your interest to get some amber, but it is likely that you will want all milky and no amber.

If for example combining this CBD bud with THC bud for a night smoke, then it might be really good to get plenty of amber.

Latest posts

Latest posts