What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Q3corn's dank mini adventures

q3corn

Delta Electronics makes some of the strongest PC shaped fans on the market, mostly used in servers. [...] They're also powerful enough to not need a fan to blow air in the case, the exhaust alone keeps the plants dancing in the wind and their stems strong.

Just looked some up. Holy cripes, 240cfm! You ain't kidding.

Are the ones you use/recommend able to have power dimmed? I don't know if I'll need that much power.

q3corn

Nice! that's super sleek.

I looked at fan controllers that fit the 3 and 4 pin cables for pc fans, and then I started thinking about dimmer switches for lamps, and that got me on a whole rabbit-hole of options. I guess there's a lot of ways to do this and I'll just need to pick one.

But first, I gotta wait for the fans I ordered before you recommended the Delta ones, to see if they do the trick. I'm betting they do, since 110cfm for a 2-cubic-foot box seems like enough! Although that's what I said about the 44cfm fan, but considering my bulbs actually get about 100F each, I got some cooling to do.

q3corn

Well I haven't gotten my new exhaust fan yet, but I did include a 120mm fan for air circulation in the cabinet and the plants really took off! The green color is very vibrant and they're really reaching for the light! That 9LBxSUV runt is still alive, so I threw it back in to see if it would recover. I don't think it will, but it's not been murdered yet.

Also built my carbon filter. Well, really I just added a sock full of activated carbon to the already-existing filter spot. Obviously there's no smell yet, but I think it'll do the trick. If it does, it means I found a really cheap way to make a small filter that I would be happy to show a breakdown of.

Pic:
SUU3oxn.jpg

q3corn

On another note, I think my GelatoxPG seeds are a little on the dumb side...

pWVtBNe.jpg

One looks ok after breaking out of it's shell 2 days ago. The other three seem to be struggling a bit, just growing more and more stem and flopping around. Think they'll make it? Is there maybe something wrong with the space they're in? About 8" from the LED, a little airflow, and the rockwool is wet but not soaking.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
I would've pinched off the hole a lil' bit when you dropped em in. There's no support if they don't anchor properly.

My preferred level of moisture is to take a cube (that isn't complete mush, maybe 6 to 10 hours soaking) and give it one good shake. Like you're packing a can of chew, if you're familiar with the motion. I find one good, swift *splat* is all you need, until they really need water.

*I tried to find a video of packing a can of dip but they were dumber than shit and never went anywhere after 60 seconds.

q3corn

^Ah, now that I think about it, I didn't poke a deeper hole in these cubes like I normally do!

Wonder if it's worth trying to fix?

q3corn

Got my new fans in! And holy crap they're powerful! I'm glad I got the ACinfinity one with a dimmer, because I really don't need anything that fast. I've got it down to the lowest setting and it's definitely not as whisper-quiet as my other fan was. I'll test how the temperatures hold, and if they stay lower than the 82F I was getting with my quiet fan, I'll stick with it.

Only real issue is that these things have a very audible hum to them, which is not a white-noise hum that I would be used to, like having a desk fan running in my room. No, this is definitely a metal case hum. I may back down and return to yet another fan I have. We'll see.

q3corn

Ok so the temps were held in a great area, but unfortunately the hum that this fan brought became very irritating. And since this is in my bedroom, something's gotta be done. I busted out an older Thermaltake fan with a dimmer switch on it (not sure why i never thought about it to begin with) and it seems like this one is about as quiet as the 44cfm Coolerguys fan. the TT is rated at about 50cfm, but maybe it just works better. I'll find out.

So, as I disassembled the fan I realized that most of the noise was coming from the connection between the metal plate I have the fan mounted to and the fan itself. I tried a few different connection types, with different screws, adding rubber gaskets, etc. But it seems like the only way that fan would be quiet is if it wasn't attached to anything, which ultimately is the issue. The only other option I can see right now is screwing the AC fan directly to the cab, but I don't have screws the right size to do that.

I'll keep experimenting with the AC Infinity fan, but I think so far the Thermaltake is going to do the job for right now. When I switch to all 3 14w lights in flower is when I'll really need to up my ventilation game.

For reference:

AC Infinity fan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B42G3QN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thermaltake fan: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Adjustable-One-touch-Retractable-A1888/dp/B00080G0BK

Coolerguys fan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MZ5ZLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of my cabs has a bathroom exhaust fan fixture directly mounted on the top of the cab. I found using foam weatherstripping between the plywood top and the metal enclosure absorbed the vibrations of the fan and it didn't transfer down to the plywood.

I think a rubber gasket might be too solid and will transfer those vibrations through the gasket to what it's mounted on.

q3corn

Day 22 from sprout. Plants are looking good. That one runt recovered fairly well, it's just about a week behind everyone else. Now that airflow is good and soil is in good condition, I'm feeling pretty good about this test run. I'll go a little heavier on N next feeding, the leaves are just a little too pale still.

I think I'm gonna wait one more week, top them, and then switch to flower. I'm not looking for keepers, just making sure my systems are all dialed-in before I start focusing on actually finding some keepers. Topping them right before flower is a move I learned a year ago to keep the vertical stretch back and make some big round top nugs.

vlLtNB3.jpg

q3corn

I've reconfigured the circulating fan to be more of a light-cooler, and I think that's helping with the plants not drying out as fast. I *should* be able to use all 42 potential watts in flower without any heat trouble so long as I can keep the plants at least 5" from the lights.

Lights are now on a 15/9 cycle. I've been increasing the dark period by an hour each day, so I'll be at 12/12 this weekend. I'm not sure if doing it gradually helps reduce stress or if that's bro science. I think I read that on this forum recently and I'm giving it a shot. No harm no foul, right?

Just over 4 weeks old. I think they're looking pretty good :joint:

ENHJJhp.jpg

wptoU3J.jpg

q3corn

Update:

Plants had their first 12 hours of dark last night, so first day of flower is officially today, the 26th

Switched out the bulbs so I have 2x 14.5watt 2700k bulbs. Temps have peaked around 82F during the day, and are down just below 70F at night.

I think I've got some ph problems I need to take care of. I'm testing my mixture going in and it's showing to be about 6.5ph, but the leaves of new growth have started to wrinkle a bit, and one of my JHxPG plants is showing signs of what I think is calcium deficiency? Maybe someone here can give some insight... I may just be overthinking the wrinkly leaves. I'm a bit of a worry wort sometimes about my babies.

Pics coming as soon as the lights come on

q3corn

Here's the JHxPG. The leaves on bottom and top of the picture have the brown rusting, which I understand to be a calcium deficiency. This is the only plant like it out of 7 in the cab, so I don't think it's ph. My ph concerns have more to do with the new growth that is fairly wrinkly. But maybe that's normal? I haven't grown in over a year, so there are some things that I guess you forget after a while. *shrug*

xNYVmDI.jpg

q3corn

Day 4 of flower and everyone is looking a lot better. I think my ph readings have been off. I fed last night with a ph closer to 6.0 and they're not showing any signs of drooping or fatigue like they have the last few weeks after feeding. Phew!

YaRgaME.jpg

And some white-balancing:
ip31dJh.jpg

PCBuds

I realized I needed to post in your thread so your new posts show up in my posted threads list, so, ... Hi Nice Grow.

:) :tiphat:

q3corn

Day 9F

Welp, I think one of my 9LBxSUV plants is a hermie. Surprising since there's definitely no light leaks and they've really not been under any stress at all. Temps range from 70-82F, decent airflow, fed every 3 or 4 days. Maybe there's some hermie traits in this cross? This is my first time growing any 9 pound hammer crosses, and only the 2nd time I've grown anything crossed with the SUV f1's.

The other 6 plants look ok. I'm seeing 2 definite females and 2 definite males, and 2 haven't expressed themselves enough for me to be sure.

Latest posts

Latest posts