What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Mexican, Seed germination and Micro propagation techniques.

M

moose eater

Thanks Mystic. When someone offers me a free sandwich, I don't complain if they used iceberg instead of romaine on it. ;^>)

I appreciate everything you're doing for all of us.

And as a fellow-OCD guy myself, I completely understand. Asperger's probably fits in there in my case sometimes, too. ;^>)

And on occasion, more than a bit of Tourette's. ;^>)

If I told you how slowly things occur here, and the many reasons why, you'd know that no apology is required.

Good luck!!!

Nup

Hey all, hope the sprouting and growing goes well.
Lots of interesting stuff in this thread since last time I had a good read.
Garlic Onion strain sounds like something worth trying!

Also on page 20, Mystic, you mention a CBD/THC test. I'v been looking for one that doesn't involve TLC, could you point me in the direction of anything worth reading on tests?

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Love the worm bin sprouting method. I have noticed random sprouting of non cannabis seeds in my bin before.

Mystic Funk

Hey all, hope the sprouting and growing goes well.
Lots of interesting stuff in this thread since last time I had a good read.
Garlic Onion strain sounds like something worth trying!

Also on page 20, Mystic, you mention a CBD/THC test. I'v been looking for one that doesn't involve TLC, could you point me in the direction of anything worth reading on tests?

i've been meaning to post about this on icmag, here's the link to my other thread i just made.
on the second post you can see my THC and CBD test and how to make them yourself.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=349475

peace!
-mystic

Mystic Funk

Hey took an hour but i read every page, those mexicans are beautiful as ever. Are you going to keep breeding them?

yes sir!
i've already found some nice plants in the offspring of the original seeds and i will continue to work these plants and lines till the day i die weather people care or not. i know there are gems in these seeds, i just need to get them out and alive in one piece.

thank you for taking the time and reading the whole thread, it really means a lot to me. :huggg:i know it's a lot to read and most people just skim through it.

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

Its worth the time to inspect the pictures and understand what everyone is talking about instead of skimming through it all lol, ive honestly been wanting older genetics and land races because theyre the stepping stones of the beginning for this all and we must ensure they dont perish. Thank you for your work.

Mystic Funk

Hey Moose Eater!
i have started the process of your method, "the Moose Method"
i've done everything as you described and it took me two days to finally get the seeds resting in the paper towels. i use 50 seeds in this method along with three other germ tests. these were all soaked in the germination bomb.
.1 was a aloe and b1 soak
.2 was soaked in a probiotic solution
.3 was soaked in a worm bin/compost tea.
i'll post up in a few days with all the results of the tests in hopes i get something to pop with these.

peace!
-mystic

oldbootz

Veteran
Just finished reading your thread! Loving the mexi landrace and the different techniques.

I wonder if the worm bin technique is so good because of the moisture level or if its the beneficial bacteria that multiply in worm bins. My friend found the same thing with germinating his old seeds in his worm bins.

M

moose eater

Thanks Mystic.

I'd taken a sabbatical from posting here for a while now.

But seeing that you had done this, and not being able to give you rep via scale with a note of thanks, I figured I had best break my relative silence and post this.

As I said before, and say again now, you're very generous and thoughtful for doing this. Thank you! Sincerely!

I'm excited to see the results, too!!

It had seemed as though most persons using any stout concentration of GA-3 had terrible results, which is why the reduced strength, coupled with some vitamin B and some growth hormones (all in light dose) -might- (*said with my fingers crossed) be the ticket.

I'll stay tuned. And again, thank you.

Whether this method, or another, I'm hoping when I do try to hatch what remains of the heirloom seeds, I want to give them the best chance for success that I can.

Take care.:)

Hey Moose Eater!
i have started the process of your method, "the Moose Method"
i've done everything as you described and it took me two days to finally get the seeds resting in the paper towels. i use 50 seeds in this method along with three other germ tests. these were all soaked in the germination bomb.
.1 was a aloe and b1 soak
.2 was soaked in a probiotic solution
.3 was soaked in a worm bin/compost tea.
i'll post up in a few days with all the results of the tests in hopes i get something to pop with these.

peace!
-mystic

Mystic Funk

Just finished reading your thread! Loving the mexi landrace and the different techniques.

I wonder if the worm bin technique is so good because of the moisture level or if its the beneficial bacteria that multiply in worm bins. My friend found the same thing with germinating his old seeds in his worm bins.

hey Oldbootz!
thank you for reading my thread, much respect to you!!!:biggrin:
i've been doing a lot of research on the subject of worm bins and i've found that there are a litany of reasons why worm bins work so great for so many things.
just some of what's going on in them: the worms are able to break down the food scraps and other decaying matter so good to almost their raw make up. this environment that they make also is great for other microbes, bacteria and fungus. these little guys break everything down further to the point where they are readily available for the plants in trade for sugars. this is the reason i think they work so good for popping seeds. you drop a old dried out seed in the well composted worm bin and there's everything the seed needs to sprout in there and yes the moisture is perfect and it's hard for the bad molds to take root in there to kill the seed sprout because the other good mold is on 24 hour watch over the seed to protect it because it needs this plant to grow so it can trade it nutrients for sugars it can't make later. man nature is so cool!:)

also worms are great at make humic and fulvic acids which are the building blocks of plants themselves. like i posted before i'm testing a method i thought up by using the runoff of the worm bin and bubbling the seeds right in that should yield some good sprouts i think. stay tuned for that!

i believe if you think you're growing organic and you don't have a worm bin around, not not growing organically... worm casting are the make up of 90% or more organic soil mixes on the market and if they don't have it in them they're not organic ether. lol!
in other words, compost is the #1 building block of the best soils...

peace!

OldCoolSativa

This is a great thread, and I really appreciate the rigorous approach to testing these various germination methods.

My sister in law recently gifted me her old seed collection. I guess you could say she's an old hippy. She met my older brother in 1966 at Upsala College in East Orange, NY, and some of these seeds date back to that time and place. She added to her collection until seedless weed became the norm, so this collection dates from ~1966 to ~1990. She lived in Rhode Island most of that time, and she saved seeds from what she thought was good weed. She unfortunately didn't catalog them, but they were kept in an airtight jar in her dresser drawer all those years.

I wish you could get a good whiff of the contents of this little glass jar. It takes me straight back to the 1970s, and the landrace Mexican and Colombian sativas that I used to smoke. Smells exactly as I remember that weed: wood, slight muskiness, slight sweetness, slight earthiness, with a beautiful peppery incense backdrop. It's sublime.

picture.php

So I need to develop a plan to methodically go through these seeds and do my best to germinate them. I think I'd be happy with a 1% germination rate, which would still be a fair number of plants to look through. I'll start by sorting them based on size, color, structure and condition (many are cracked). I'm then need a plan of attack for germinating them. Is it feasible and practicable for an amateur such as myself to do tissue cultures? What's my best bet for germinating these seeds?

herbgreen

Veteran
theres this guy on youtube and this involves tissue cultures but it seems the best results are coming from home made worm castings or DIY versions of this type of thing

Germinating Really Old Seeds 101 | How to get Old Seeds to POP Sprouting Old Seeds in Growers House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLRWrjy8UGg

worm farms and of course theres DIY versions of worm farm constuction but this guy has got the right worms...

https://unclejimswormfarm.com/

It can be done we have seen it done it may have to do with protective qualities in worm castings which may be more live or active in the homemade versions right off the worm or maybe it matters what the worms are consuming....

Be Great to see some of these mystery seeds survive and thrive in this modern age of cannabis

Mystic Funk

This is a great thread, and I really appreciate the rigorous approach to testing these various germination methods.

My sister in law recently gifted me her old seed collection. I guess you could say she's an old hippy. She met my older brother in 1966 at Upsala College in East Orange, NY, and some of these seeds date back to that time and place. She added to her collection until seedless weed became the norm, so this collection dates from ~1966 to ~1990. She lived in Rhode Island most of that time, and she saved seeds from what she thought was good weed. She unfortunately didn't catalog them, but they were kept in an airtight jar in her dresser drawer all those years.

I wish you could get a good whiff of the contents of this little glass jar. It takes me straight back to the 1970s, and the landrace Mexican and Colombian sativas that I used to smoke. Smells exactly as I remember that weed: wood, slight muskiness, slight sweetness, slight earthiness, with a beautiful peppery incense backdrop. It's sublime.

View Image

So I need to develop a plan to methodically go through these seeds and do my best to germinate them. I think I'd be happy with a 1% germination rate, which would still be a fair number of plants to look through. I'll start by sorting them based on size, color, structure and condition (many are cracked). I'm then need a plan of attack for germinating them. Is it feasible and practicable for an amateur such as myself to do tissue cultures? What's my best bet for germinating these seeds?

hey man!
wow! what a great find there! nice of your sister to save them for so long. most people just toss them after a few years or they get lost.
a lot of nice landrace bud came in the port of RI in boats from mexico and columbia. so there might be some good ones in there!

the worm bins did the best for popping old seeds and the tissue culture did ok but i'd do the worm bins again before any others.

if you can wait a little longer to try and pop those, i have a few more recipes coming out in the next few days that hold great promise.

peace!

Miraculous Meds

Got some Item 9 cracked! Just started with 6 seeds, and only 2 germinated so far. Im using ds tokers germ machine idea, of water temp control, and good moisture control with sponges. Ive had mixed results on my first run with it, having some varieties with 100% germ, some in the middle, and one with no germination so far. Id like to get the worm bin up and going, but Ive got a few other projects im focusing on first.
picture.php

picture.php

Ive got a little discoloration, and damage maybe, to the tap roots. Im wondering if I have enough moisture, maybe they are drying out and dying a little? Or I think I used a bit of tap water, maybe its alkalinity did that?
Any thoughts on the root damage?

Mystic Funk

Hey Guys!
Ok, its been a little over a week now that i started a few more methods and i have some results for you guys.

all of these recipes were soaked in the "Germination Bomb" seeing that i used a "live" recipe on two of them and i wanted to keep it that way. also i didn't want to skew the results for the others that were not live so all went in the G-bomb.
all the methods used 50 seeds in each...

ok first off with a method i was told about by a friend of mine here that goes by Growingcrazy. he told me about taking some seeds and putting them in a cut piece of aloe to soak and you'd get some good germ rates.
i took this method and changed it slightly by making a aloe solution by squeezing out a cup of fresh aloe from a plant i have and putting that in one gallon of water and adding a little B1 vitamins and bubbling them in the G-bomb for 24 hours.
this method did the best and 13 seeds popped!

second method i took some lactobacillus or (LABS) i made and mixed that with 2oz per gallon of water and bubbled that for 24 hours.
i got 10 seeds to pop with this method!
if you'd like to make some LABS, i can show you if you want. it's very easy to make. if you don't want to make it. you can buy EM-1 for cheap which is has LABS in it.

third was i took the runoff from the worm bins which is also rich with microbes, humic and fulvic acids which help with old seeds to pop. we saw this before by putting them right in the bin in a earlier post.
i then took a gallon of the runoff and added that to 5 gallons water and then made a compost brew by adding some chicken manure to a sock and bubbled that for 5 days.
i took one cup of the runoff/compost tea and put that in one gallon of water and bubbled it for 24 hours in the G-bomb with the seeds.
i got 13 seeds to pop with this method!
i'd like to try this one again by only adding the runoff to the mix without the manure tea. i think this may have been too rich for the seeds?

fourth method was made up by moose eater. this will be called the "moose method" for now on.

here's his words on how to make it and the only thing i changed was putting the seeds right into the dirt after the G-bomb soak. i didn't want to do this because i soaked 50 seeds of each and i didn't want to waste or tie up 50 solo cups for each method and i wanted each method to be the same as far as medium goes. so these seeds were placed in paper towels like the rest.

Moose Method
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm thinking the first step would be scuffing, very gently along the ridge of the seed's husk/shell. Maybe a fine grit emery paper?

Then the H2O2 3% (diluted 1:10 with distilled H2O) bath for 3-4 hours.

Then a weak GA-3 solution at 50 ppm with distilled H2O (as in, very light) with a couple drops of Super Thrive Vitamin B, either over-night, or ~12 hours..

Then the bubbler as described in the recent post

Then a -very- light (minimal) dusting, like a wisp of powder of Hormex, Clonex, Rootone, or other half-decent rooting powder on either a damp paper towel, or in the immediate area around the planted seed in a soilless sprouting mix such as earth worm castings with Pro-Mix, etc.

with this method i got only 4 seeds to pop. but it's only been about a week and they might need more time. so the rest of the seeds with be kept in the towel for at least another week.

peace!

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Mystic Funk

Got some Item 9 cracked! Just started with 6 seeds, and only 2 germinated so far. Im using ds tokers germ machine idea, of water temp control, and good moisture control with sponges. Ive had mixed results on my first run with it, having some varieties with 100% germ, some in the middle, and one with no germination so far. Id like to get the worm bin up and going, but Ive got a few other projects im focusing on first.
View Image
View Image

Ive got a little discoloration, and damage maybe, to the tap roots. Im wondering if I have enough moisture, maybe they are drying out and dying a little? Or I think I used a bit of tap water, maybe its alkalinity did that?
Any thoughts on the root damage?

hey man!
cool germination machine! i've seen these before! never tried it out.
when a fresh tap root like that begins to wither like that. it's most likely due to overly hot and or wet conditions so the smallest end of the root begins to rot or die away.
what's the temp in those containers???
did you clean those sponges well before use??? they have anti-fungal agent on them to keep mold from growing and could poison the little seedling.
you should get 90%+ germ rates with those seeds just by soaking them in water over night and then place them in a moist paper towel for two to three days.

make sure you post those up in the item #9 thread once they get a little bigger!

thanks for posting!

peace!

Miraculous Meds

I was around 75, and bumped it up to 77f. I did have the sponges just barely damp, and got impatient after 2 days of nothing happening. Added a bit of tap water and got quite a bit of action on my other seeds. But a lot of that brown dying off to. I probably got to impatient with the temp n moisture. First time trying it out. Ive got some in paper towels now. I didn't flush the sponges either. Ill try that for next time. I will update in the Item 9 thread. Thanks bud. Ill be getting ahold of you here soon.