What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grapefruit grail project: my hunt for a pheno (long)

bdiddly1

grapefruit hunt

grapefruit hunt

Dear Icmag,
It’s been a long time since my last post,
But today I’m really happy to share this experience with you all.
Today I’m sowing my last seeds of what I called “Grapefruit grail project”.
This is only a part in a strange journey I’ve took in search of the perfect grapefruit smelling plant in the last 5 years.

Everything begun in 2006 when I first smoked a joint of NYCD from Soma seeds while in Amsterdam.
Saying I felt in love with that weed is reductive, I got something more than an obsession for it.
It was great: real red ripe grapefruit taste that was the same as smell, it filled your mouth completely and for minutes after joint that wonderful taste lingered in your mouth like you kept on licking your fingers after you’ve peeled lots of agrumes… And potency! Wow! Always noticeable after any weed out there, NYCD stood out for having a joyful and up high which is still nowadays one of my favourite in Ams. For years it’s been the herb that I usually smoke before leaving Holland, to feel the last time the freedom of medicate with such good stuff in plain sight and have a good taste in my mouth on the plane coming back home…I thought I WANT more!

It was great when I first bought my pack of Soma seeds.They were bought in Dampkrieg growshop in front of central station, together with Soma’s book. While I was paying for it at the counter Soma himself walked in the shop. I was able to meet and talk to the breeder of the seeds I was actually buying in this moment. He signed my book and gave me his benediction.
It’s been nearly 5 years of growing/living aside of NYCD, and unfortunately I’m not satisfied with the phenos I found with these seeds.
So far I’ve planted a total of 35 seeds of original NYCD from Soma. All those beans came directly from Soma’s hands, no fake, all regular seeds.

picture.php

My first batch was with 5 seeds. 3 males and 2 females. I grew this batch 6 cycles, indoor on hydro, soil and Soma’s soilbeds, outdoor 2 seasons, trying to replicate that flavour I met in A’dam, but my plants looked and smelled different (later I realized they were some Afghan-hawaian pheno).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Incredible plants: tall sativa, 12 weeks flowering time, incredible hybrid vigor, hardness to pest and bad conditions, fresh fruity floral taste and smell, but far from being grapefruit!

One male was used for breeding.

Also a couple of F2 were planted, but no grapefruit!
I had 5 seeds left, maybe that pheno could be among those, but I got 4 males and only one female more. Super sativa one, super floral (rose, and violets) smell and taste, very vigorous but not grapefruit again.
I talked to Soma about this, he said it was easy to find a grapefruit sport and I decided to get some more 10 seeds of NYCD and 10 seeds of NYCD x G13Haze.

picture.php

picture.php

From NYCD I got 4 more females ( I admit I got a poor m/f ratio with those ones…), all being incredible, robust, vigorous plants BUT no grapefruit!!!
Better results in terms of smell were found in G13haze line. My NYG #2 was the closest of all to that wonderful smell, but still it is slightly different: begins as pungent hazy, greasy smell as you approach first your nose, then grapefruit appears behind leaving a good ligt aftertaste of bitter oranges that lingers for minutes. I was happy!!
NYg#1 followed being a bit more indica as plant, less grapefruit smelling, but more pronounced in taste. Good m/f ratio with those being 6/4.
A couple of those were haze leaning phenos, long flowering, dry woody smell tinted of fruit, more potent and cerebral in high, BUT not grapefruit! To mention a good male NYG#7 which was the best smelling plant of all, very vigorous.

picture.php

But when in Amsterdam again, I realized from the first smell out of that NYCD box in the coffeeshop that mine wasn’t even close to that! Dutch weed looked better: big fat calyxes that revealed a sort of indica parentage, very compact and tight buds, very resinous on every part, masterfully grown, but looked a different plant to the best I could achieve at home in best condition.
I blamed on myself and promised to do better with my plants and give a try to new 5 seeds regular.

picture.php

To sum up, almost 2 ½ years spent to hunt for that grapefruit pheno and no success!
I revisited all my growing technique and skills and gave a try to the last 5 original seeds regular, deciding to look for a more indica style plant and hoping for some grapefruit.
As earlier I got 3 males and 2 females. The latter looked very similar to the ones I had previously, and one of them smelled like a sort of strawberry, but no grapefruit. The males looked a bit more promising: fatter indica leaves than the previous males, a tint of fruitness and grape in there. Almost close? But what to do? I decided to mate my NYG2, the best smelling and tasting plant to an array of males I encountered. I had 5 different males coupled: a NYG#7 and three males with indica leaves from last batch and the first male met 3 years before from which I could see the offsprings already.
Meanwhile I tested NYG7 with sour diesel, chocolope and ak47 to try potency and I was quite satisfied with results.
So I sowed 50 more F2 seeds, a mix of NYCD x NYCDG13haze#2 and NYGH2 x NYGH7.
I grew them, sexed them and flowered the clones for 3-4 weeks to see the first resin.
Then I chose the very best 3 females, using a criteria of selection based on grapefruit smell alone.
Only 3 out of 30 females smelled grapefruit, with different tones and bitterness.
The best smelling plants came out of NYG13H F2 (#8 and #9).
Are we dealing so with a recessive trait? Soma told me it is quite frequent to meet a good grapefruit smelling plant, but indeed I had a lot of work to be done before achieving this result. He was lucky as he met this pheno on the 6th seed planted. This pheno is still circulating in Amsterdam.
Now these 3 selected plants are flowering beautifully. 8th week. Still 2-3 weeks to go.
3 different phenos: one (NYG2 x NYC3) is really close to her mother in appearance and smell.
NYGH F2 #8 is a super sativa looking plant, growing as a beast and super foxtailed. Fast flowering although, not more than 3 weeks to go. The smell of this one is the best achieved so far: bitter and sweet grapefruit peel is all there, mixed with a strong kick of fresh flowery sativa. Just move some leaves indirectly and you smell the grapefruit, gently squeeze one calyx and there’ll be no soap to cover it, almost embarrassing…
I’m closer this time but what a pain! Anyway it’s similar, not the same as amsterdam’s…
Need to test potency.
#9 is smaller and is more indica, good grapefruit taste but begins with a strong musky smell, it’s fruity as a backsmell, after the musk is gone.
Growing so many NY plants I noticed anyway that a good cure is a must to refine the grapefruit, only after 2 months after harvest that hazy-musky smell leaves place to fruitness to its best.

Just as a note, last year I flowered 5 female chisel. Lots of resin, beautifully smelling plants, but NO HIGH! My tolerance is well in shape, but I smoked this variety just for taste: grape/grapefruit well dipped with cheese aroma. Very nice, but no High. Discarded.

picture.php

At the end I wasn’t satisfied yet. Soma himself offered me a clone of this pheno this year.
Unfortunately I cannot afford to carry it home, my hunt for grapefruit is not over yet…
So one month ago I begun to approach the problem under a new sight: I planted 40 seeds and called It “grapefruit grail project”.
I decided to try more variety that were labelled to be grapefruit and test’em.

picture.php

picture.php

I got 5 grapefruitdiesel and 5 dynamite 5 agent orange (together with 5 querkle and 5 vortex) and 3 NYCD (soma pheno) x bubblegum from a grower friend met in Amsterdam and least but not the last 2 spice from mrnice seeds.
About this one I have always liked the afghan-hawaian touch in a lot of Soma genetics, liked it in NYCD, even if it was too dominant for me in this cross, liked it Amnesia haze, in Spice from Mrnice is missing the afghan part, still conserving some agrume background. I’m very curious about this one.
Today it’s the turn of 5 NYCD female from Soma, (he handed me those beans, being sure it’s the right time, as e said that those were the best NYCD seeds ever made, very very close to that grapefruit pheno I’m looking for), sided with 4 Female seeds grapefruit to compare.
New seedling after a month have already among the best grapefruit smell I met till now, but a lot of small variations are already noticeable. More in the future about this as I see some resin.

Thank you for getting through all this long post, now you can understand why it can be called an obsession.
More than 100 seeds and a few years to find a smell. Hope to end this with a new variety, something like “100% True Grapefruit”, or “Grapefruit madness/obsession”.
I want to share all this with you, any question, clarification or comment is welcomed, sorry if something is a bit confusing.

mate i have been growing femaleseeds grapefruit for a cple of years now&the very grapefruit taste with large calyx's &dripping with trichs is 1 of the phenos they have,i love it&so does the missus

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
Yesterday whas beansday and have crack 3 Grapefruit Diesel x Agent Orange beans from your projekt bro.

picture.php

link below the picture are the beans

here looks great

you look forward :)

greets

D

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mate i have been growing femaleseeds grapefruit for a cple of years now&the very grapefruit taste with large calyx's &dripping with trichs is 1 of the phenos they have,i love it&so does the missus

I did it man! I found 5 beautiful females.:) slightly different one to another and a couple had some good grapefruit smelling. It was an 'electric', fuzzy smell and taste, nice mellow high good for mornings.
I didn't use them in breeding as they were S1, even I' trying out some seeds. They heavily tend to autoflower if rootbound.
I've had better results in terms of homogeneity and vigour in next gen seeds grapefruit diesel and dynamite. I kept a special male from them and trying to select from his siblings. Tnx for the suggestion.
thank%20you.gif

Yesterday whas beansday and have crack 3 Grapefruit Diesel x Agent Orange beans from your projekt bro.

View Image
D

WOAH! my friend, really good choices!!
I'm really happy to be part of your new seed round.... and honoured for your support...
I'm loving your SPG and SPG x glo. I found 3 females of spg and... 2 males?!? out of S1?? Glo were 2/1 as F/M ratio out of 3.
Sure they were feminized?
I'm happy anyway to have some male spg. Wondering if they can be real males or they will shed female pollen?
Grapefruit diesel is amazing me only after months of slow discovering of her.
She's already a good greasy sweet grapefruit cross. Bit weird and slow, indica style, but very interesting as smell. Now I'm playing with a male of those, maybe a new kind of sweet tooth can be made, using a special nycd as donor for spg. something like 'sweet grapefruit grin':biggrin: instead of 'sweet tooth':laughing:
Nycdghaze x ao would be a good choice as well. Expect some stretching and some average flowering time of ten weeks. I have one female now to test, I can't quit to be amazed and delighted by smoking the mother even after years. It's a special plant. Taste is amazing, You will like it my friend.
Can't wait to see them flowering, going to switch today.
Need to update to Grapefruit grail project v2.0...
take care everyone :wave:
Dr.P

Last edited:

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
My dear friend, Grapefruit hunter,

Thank you for sharing all these insight into your travel ! It is truely good to see you diving in this oceans of phenos !
The nycdG13haze pheno that you had was just the closest thing I ve ever seen to the Mandarina; and was just an amazing plant and smoke... Also this agent orange was something very very special with such amazing orangey smell !

Keep up the good work, I will get some of your crosses to pop for my next grow !

+++

D

dramamine

Happy sunday, doc. Those AO pics are amazing. Nice looking girl there. I'm looking forward to cracking the sourindian x AO. The Indian genetics are very interesting....I'll certainly let you know how these go when the time comes......knee deep in these NYCD outcrosses at the moment.............I have some very nice looking NYCSour x (ssh x NLA) in veg, ready to flower. One of them has a lot of purple, even in veg..and the two I selected both seem to have the preliminary smells of the NYCD. I would love to get that taste in a nice, hazy spliff....to find some dripping, juicy fruit bombs. Well, really sounds like you made it there already with your NYCDG13Haze...............sounds so good, man, really...and congrats on the recognition. Well deserved, dude.
There's a good thread going right now, I think in the breeder's section, regarding S1 "males" showing up. Good reading.

Thanks again for sending those genetics in to the bay...good times ahead.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
so are the S1 spg fem
Unfortunately, I heard there was some pollen formation in strain because of how the breeder.
there would be brought to the spg hermaphrodites because there are no male part.
I think this can be a real male in the spg.

I will also show in the next couple of AO Phenos time.
There are also interesting Phenos here is 8 weeks finish

so we looking forward bro :tiphat:

green vibes

D

Last edited:

Nunsacred

Lovely thread, inspiring and informative.

I'm also driven to search for certain flavours, and have been impressed by an Outdoor Grapefruit cross, also Agent Orange cross.
I'd recommend you try some 'CFP Foundation' for your taste consideration! Extremely tangy citrus notes in the 2 females I've handled, and the breeder has posted somewhere a complicated diagram of the ancestry for quite a few years .... it began with Acapulco gold.....

I'm just starting out on my tasty breeding journey, hopefully our paths will cross somewhere down the line... :)

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Final considerations

Final considerations

Grapefruit? wow... just the word itself makes my ears pointing up...
4 years have passed now from my first round of seeds. :laughing: I couldn't think at the beginning I could have gone so far and deep.
After more than 150+ seeds sown in this search, and dozen of different grapefruit strains I realized a few days ago that we got it. Nearly.:biggrin:

Some plants need perfect tuning in growing conditions to express their best fragrance. Lately I improved a lot my growing skills. When I switched to total organic grow I made the real difference. Now my comprehension of soil biology and properties is going on and taste and smell of my product get better along with it.
My setup now consists in soilbeds Soma's style modified. I run a no tilling recycling soil using Subcool's supersoil and ACT and FPE. My garden is alive and running well. All aspects are tuned. A good improvement in yield and quality came also from using the mylar diamond reflective material I bought to enhance reflection on walls. Adjust a wing reflectors made some difference too. I wouldn't go back.

A few days ago I sampled some fine nycd and agent orange crosses. Lots of seeds and different tones of grapefruit.
Sampled a lot of beautiful and less beautiful examples around europe from different growers and breeders in this years. From comparision I realized that moment that we GOT it guys, my search could be considered somehow ACHIEVED.:dance013:
I was in my home and puffing a very special tasting grapefruit! Even if some refining is still needed....

During my search I met a lot of grapefruit.
Very different kinds of it though.
From grapefruit, grapefruit x diesel, nycd in all her expressions and crosses, dynamite, sweet tooth, c99, agent orange, all give their example of citrous.
In my stable my keepers, after a lot of considerations and tests are:
-Nyghaze 2. The first one, a real deal in taste and potency. the sativa grapefruit.
-Nyghaze 8 F2. an F2 of the above. Super foxtail queen, bitter grapefruit taste and smell. Sativa high, no ceiling.
-Nycd S1, indica fat leaves phenos, still uncertain which one to keep (12 different of them), testing on the way. Potent, narcotic, taste superb. Some crosses are even better.
-Grapefruit x diesel (male). The real champion in smell. Next seed round is with this one.
-agent orange in her different expressions. both males and females
-selections still in progress with new round of Sweet pink grapefruit S1 and Chimera's GF x BB and C+. also glo x spg and sweet tooth. and this is going to be the next project: Grapefruit-orange grail project v 2.0. The refining process begins.:)
I want to say a special thank you to all the people who joined in this thread and helped or just gave encouragement. :thank you:It was and is really appreciated.
Keep it grapefruit everyone
Dr.P

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Thanks dr.penthotal!!

Thanks dr.penthotal!!

For taking us along on this wonderful journey. I can't wait to see what's next!

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
hey thanks for sharing your journey very nice plants and pics/descriptions. i was going to say that you may need to fine tune your soil mix in order to get the smell/flavour you are looking for sometimes soil can have a big impact on that. for example ive got an AK clone from female seeds which under the right conditions puts out a sour apple smell just like apple flavoured candy. it only smells like that with the right soil and nutrients. It seems from the last post you more or less reached the same conclusion.

Ive been growing grapefruit from female seeds and i really like em, i was a bit surprised you more or less skimmed over the fms grapefruit and rejected all the phenos you had can you tell us more on the fms grapefruit phenos, i got some going right now under a little 80 watts floro. i had one pheno from a different run which i cloned and passed around cuts of. lots of people tested it and out of many different strains it proved to be a much loved pheno and a great smoke. the smell was strong grapefruit/skunk with some onion/garlick and touch of woody/spicy in late bud. finished product mellowed to a real exotic grapefruit with earthy bottom end. smooth smoke very cerebral, potent high. i have only good things to say of this strain; fast maturation, beautiful structure ease of growth, vigour, good production for a fast sativa. side note: needs support as the plant does not grow thick heavy stems at all - very good for scrog applications.

keep it grapefruit, peace!

D

dramamine

i was going to say that you may need to fine tune your soil mix in order to get the smell/flavour you are looking for sometimes soil can have a big impact on that. for example ive got an AK clone from female seeds which under the right conditions puts out a sour apple smell just like apple flavoured candy. it only smells like that with the right soil and nutrients.

Nice to see another Dr. in the house..:biggrin: Just wanted to agree with the soil mix having a sometimes big effect on the flavor of the flowers. The NYCD showed a huge difference when grown in an organic soil mix vs. salt-fed coco. I had loved the flavor of the soil-grown flowers, which were grapefruit with lots of overriding skunk and sweet mud. The coco-grown buds had slightly less of the penetrating skunk background, but were incredibly tart....I started referring to the taste as "rhubarb" at this point. It was really a big difference. But, as you say, the variance happens within different soil mixes, too...it doesn't seem to be a soil vs. coco thing at all.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
wallyduck's (or wizard of oz, or whatever they are called now) grapefruit X C99 had many grapefruit smelling and tasting phenos.

not sure of availability tho.

I know for $50usd they are cheaper than Somas, "NYCD" and, apparently easier to find "the grapefruit"

love the thread. ive been down this road a few times, myself.

keep the search alive, brotha.

never surrender.

-cap

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey thanks for sharing your journey very nice plants and pics/descriptions. i was going to say that you may need to fine tune your soil mix in order to get the smell/flavour you are looking for sometimes soil can have a big impact on that. for example ive got an AK clone from female seeds which under the right conditions puts out a sour apple smell just like apple flavoured candy. it only smells like that with the right soil and nutrients. It seems from the last post you more or less reached the same conclusion.

Ive been growing grapefruit from female seeds and i really like em, i was a bit surprised you more or less skimmed over the fms grapefruit and rejected all the phenos you had can you tell us more on the fms grapefruit phenos, i got some going right now under a little 80 watts floro. i had one pheno from a different run which i cloned and passed around cuts of. lots of people tested it and out of many different strains it proved to be a much loved pheno and a great smoke. the smell was strong grapefruit/skunk with some onion/garlick and touch of woody/spicy in late bud. finished product mellowed to a real exotic grapefruit with earthy bottom end. smooth smoke very cerebral, potent high. i have only good things to say of this strain; fast maturation, beautiful structure ease of growth, vigour, good production for a fast sativa. side note: needs support as the plant does not grow thick heavy stems at all - very good for scrog applications.

keep it grapefruit, peace!

Nice to see another Dr. in the house.. Just wanted to agree with the soil mix having a sometimes big effect on the flavor of the flowers. The NYCD showed a huge difference when grown in an organic soil mix vs. salt-fed coco. I had loved the flavor of the soil-grown flowers, which were grapefruit with lots of overriding skunk and sweet mud. The coco-grown buds had slightly less of the penetrating skunk background, but were incredibly tart....I started referring to the taste as "rhubarb" at this point. It was really a big difference. But, as you say, the variance happens within different soil mixes, too...it doesn't seem to be a soil vs. coco thing at all.

Very good point to focus!
Growing method is FUNDAMENTAL in achieving smell and taste.
Nothing can beat the nature itself doing her job.
Pure organic farming methods are not only ecofriendly trips of some old hippy stoner, they're the true way to let the plant express her genes at 100%.
And nature produces the best smell and tastes from our beloved plant.
At least for me and my setup. and I tried nearly all of different growing methods.
So I wait until 100% of the genetic is expressed before taking conclusions.
Grapefruit from female seeds? nice plant, nice taste and high but it didn't shock me as a plant itself.
More negative traits for me to breed on with her.
1 female genetics. not good to begin with a s1.
2 extreme variability. out of 5, all different. (it's a crazy genetic mix, not a good candidate for an selfing, like nycd)
3 weak growth and vigour. some more sativas were rewarding but too long to flw for this kind of plant
4 heavy tendency to autoflower
5 outdoor all the clones didn't survive
6 smell and taste were ok. 1 was super. potency was 6 out of 10.
So I preferred some other genetics.
It's true that I tried a limited number of plants, but a completely different story comes from the work done by alpine seeds with their SPGs1.
This is how I imagined more the grapefruit to be...

picture.php

I want to share a good pheno of NYCD I'm testing now.
Amsterdam smell is all in there, can't wait to smoke it.

picture.php

I opened a second thread on this one, with some updates of the new round and projects.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=235950

Hope you liked it
Tnx again to all for your time, inputs and love.
You were all beautiful journey mates...:tiphat::thank you:
Dr.P

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
Great work Dr. P! Looking forward to the next round of testers. And boy oh boy that grapefruit haze has me intrigued. I'll be watching! Much love and :respect: SL

Great thread,
I would recommend Iced Grapefuit by Female Seeds, the grapefruit pheno's don't autoflower and you get great yields + potency is a bit better
:)
so if I was looking to buy NYCD for the grapefruit pheno, would you say the best bet is Soma's S1's?