What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow, need help with watering.

This is my first grow attempt. I have been a card holder for years, but never set anything up. Now I am in a position that I have the space needed. I have a great grower who has helped me get this going, a great resource. I also don't want to bug them with every little questions, and I seem to have a lot.

The run down: It is an outdoor grow, I had my grower help me amended the existing soil in the 4, 20 cubic foot planter boxes. In the 45 gallon bags I am using Keystone bio char, greenhouse media.

The problem: I was maintaining a great watering schedule when they were in the 1 gallon pots. I used the finger method and would dig down between an inch or two to see if the soil was dry. Then water accordingly.

Now that I have moved them into the larger pots I feel like I am always playing catch up. I watered when I initially transplanted, and since then it has been hard to tell. I see the plants start to wilt, then I add maybe a gallon or so and they perk up for a day and a half or so. Then I repeat the same process, constantly keeping an eye on them. I know this is not the correct approach. I have a FEAR of over watering so I am hesitant to add more. I imagine the way I am doing it now might cause stress on the plants; little water here, real thirsty, then a tad more and repeat...

I live in Portland, OR and it has also been extremely hot, mid to upper 90's for a while and looks to be continuing. So that adds to my "get them water" anxiety.

How much water should I be adding to the 20 cubic foot planter boxes per watering?

How much should I add to the 45 gallon grow bags?

I would really like to get on a good consistent schedule, the teeter totter method is not ideal. The size of the planters is throwing me off.

I have been a browser on this forum for awhile and I have seen it be a tremendous resource. Thank you in advance, and I look forward to any all feedback. Cheers!

45 Gallon, add some water as she seemed a little droopy.

picture.php

45 Gallon, she seems to be okay. Haven't watered in about two days.

picture.php

20 Cubic foot planter boxes

picture.php

Granger2

Veteran
First, spend 10 bucks on a moisture meter. I would apply water around the perimeter, especially in the bags, and just enough near the plants to revive the wilt. Be sure to inoculate with plain ACT, topdress with 1/4" each of EWC and good Compost, or drench with Great White or similar. I would want to get those containers thoroughly drenched ASAP. Probaly not yet, but when the plants get a little bigger, and the weather's hot, dry. I envy your crop, but where I live it would be masochitic for me to try that. Good luck. -granger

@Granger Thank you for the input. I will pick up a meter this afternoon. What does ACT, and Great White stand for? I'm familiar with EWC just not those two.

Should I approach drenching the containers in increments? Run some water this evening and see how they respond tomorrow, then increase? Or just get them soaked in one shot?

Thank you for the compliment. I feel very fortunate to be able to start a crop like this. As I mentioned I have had my card for years, and been surrounded by amazing growers and always envious of what they are able to do. I'm looking forward to lots of learning this season. Cheers!

afflicted

Get you some black plastic to hold the moisture in. Also,id get some grokashi in there to develop some mycelium to help regulate the food intake and cut your water consumption down.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
@Granger Thank you for the input. I will pick up a meter this afternoon. What does ACT Aerated Compost Tea, and Great White http://www.plant-success.com/index.php/mycorrhizal-products/great-white-mycorrhizae.html stand for? I'm familiar with EWC just not those two.

Should I approach drenching the containers in increments? Run some water this evening and see how they respond tomorrow, then increase? Or just get them soaked in one shot? Get those broads thoroughly soaked. Don't be afraid of overwatering - instead just know that after the initial soaking all the soil should have a universal moisture saturation. You shouldn't need to water for at least 5 days after that, probably more like a week. This encourages the roots to develop and grow down and out, searching for additional water and nutrients. After you thoroughly water them and they are getting thirsty again (almost starting to wilt) you can resume with a normal watering schedule. I've never had plants in that big a container but I imagine that you will be able to water them well and then not have to for 3 days once they have gotten bigger. That 3 day routine works for me but again, indoor grow with traditional plastic pot.

Thank you for the compliment. I feel very fortunate to be able to start a crop like this. As I mentioned I have had my card for years, and been surrounded by amazing growers and always envious of what they are able to do. I'm looking forward to lots of learning this season. Cheers!

Get you some black plastic to hold the moisture in. Also,id get some grokashi in there to develop some mycelium to help regulate the food intake and cut your water consumption down.
Do you mean black plastic over the soil? That would hold moisture in but also catch sunlight and heat things up worse than they need to be. I would instead plant a cover crop or at least mulch with straw. You want your beneficial bacteria and mycorhizal fungi for all those nice ass symbiotic relationships. That Great White product is good for that as is brewing your own ACTs.

Granger2

Veteran
Black plastic would be the worst thing you could do. What you want is to saturate the entire medium, and get it to dry fast or moderately after that.
ACT -Aerated Compost Tea, AKA AACT-Actively
Aerated Compost Tea
EWC- Earth Worm Castings
Great White is a commercial inoculant, used for
adding micro organisms [bacteria, fungi, etc.] to your medium,
creating a good microherd.

@Who Dat Is, Appreciate the information. I think I have finally got the watering down and it is around every 5 days or so. They have responded well and now I can worry about other things I'm not sure of, like topping.

@Granger, Thanks for keeping an eye on the thread. And no, I did not put black plastic over the soil...

Here is how they look now, I am going to get a journal going soon.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Yea looks like you got it dialled in. So long as you give the pot enough time to dry out so the roots can grow/stretch out. Bigger roots = bigger plant

@Mattskibop, Thanks. They have been doing well and I have worked to keep the soil moisture consistent. I started a diary/journal to get overall feedback on the process.

amanda88

I was gonna say lift the pot, to get an idea of water consumption, but seeing that pot,.....a water meter is a good idea ....lol