What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed Germination/Position for the Newbies!

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
high all.

just thought i'd share this pic on the correct seed(ling) position.. it should be handy for those of you who 'do it the other way around'. :D

fear my MS Paint skills!

peace!

7979seedgerminations2.JPG

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
here is my seed germination technique.

if you want to have seedlings within 2 - 3 days, without the 'risk' of pre-germination, read on!

you'll need:
-your starting-sized pot(s)
-a container big enough to hold your starting-sized pots
-soil/your soilless medium/jiffy peat pot etc.
-plastic-wrap
-tooth pick
-pen/marker
-ruler
-tweezers

get your medium mixed and filled into your starting pots. if you are using jiffy peat pots, you will do that after the seeds have sprouted.

take your toothpick and measure 1.5cm from the tip, marking it with your pen/marker. make little holes for your seeds with the tooth pick in your medium, approx. 1.5cm deep. use the tweezers to plant your seed(s) accurately as in the diagram above. then cover up the hole gently.

now, using some water and your one hand, por the water on your hand and let it drip in a circle around where you planted the bean. no ontop of where you planted it. be gentle with the water! you also only need a bit, 5ml or so.

place your pot(s) in the container. then, cover the container with the plastic-wrap. use the tooth pick again to poke 5 or 6 holes in the plastic wrap. if the plastic-wrap doesn't 'stick' nicely, use some sticky-tape and wrap it round the container, fastening the plastic down. place the container somewhere warm, i.e above your PC case/the refridgerator etc.

later! :D

G

hey man nice to see ya here, Things have come a long way since the first time i remember seeing ya on OG a while back. I like the things you have done and hope you keep up the good work.

We always need good people like yourself to share the wealth of knowledge to keep on the OVERGROWing.

G

When I first started, my cab was not ready, so I had em under flouros..

Now that I have the cab ready, I will have an tmo dome, air circ, and the 4 2ft T12s for seeding

What light are you using?

And are you using 24hr or 18/6?

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
So I guess having them sideways should save half that wasted energy?

SOMKINTHECHRON, QUESTION ..IS THE METHOD ABOVE ONLY IF YOU USE THE PAPERTOWEL METHOD ? OR COULD YOU USE THAT METHOD, WHEN JUST PUTTING SEEDS DIRECTLY INTO SOIL, MY FRIEND HAS 3 BEANS IN A GLASS OF WATER NOW(FEM WW) ITS BEEN ABOUT 20 HRS 2 OF THEM DROPED TO BOTTOM AND 1 HASNT YET, SHOULD HE WAIT ? ALSO SINCE IM GOIN TO BE PLANTING THEM DIRECTLY INTO SOIL WITHOUT THERE ROOT POPIN OUT, SO WHAT DIRECTION WOULD I PUT THE SEED IN ? THANKS IN ADVANCED

hi - when i was first shown how to germinate seed I was told 'never use tweezers you can damage the seed with tweezers you never will with your fingers' - looks like the lesson which has seen me sucessfully germinate a couple of hundred seeds in the last 8 years was partly wrong - ever damaged a seed with your tweezers Highonthechronic ? or was what i was told urban myth ? :chin:

thanks for the answer below highonthecronic - another urban myth debunked :wave:

Last edited:

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
high dudes!

ganja guido: this method is for planting directly in the soil without pre-germination. pre-germ has always been dodgy for me for some reason, so i said fuck that and decided to start planting straight into soil instead. nearly 100% success rate now. IMO, i'd tell your friend rather to plant them into the soil. but if he's happy with pre-germ, then that's cool, rather just stick with that. what ever makes him happy! :D you should plant your seed pointy side up - see diagram. just remember you need to cover up your pots with plastic-wrap to create warmth and humidity for the seeds to germ nice and fast. good luck!! :D

brightside: well, it all depends on how hard you 'squeeze' the tweezers. if you are rough, obviously you run the risk of damaging the seed. if you are gentle, there's no problem! you couldn't really call it a myth, cause if you squeeze too hard and break them, then the person who told you not to is right!! :D i've never had any problems whatsoever. remember the beans are pretty hardy.. sometimes it's even hard to break them with your fingers! just to add, i've used both normal cosmetic tweezers, and pocket knife tweezers. :D

hey highonthecronic thanks, well my friend soaked the seeds for 24hrs in a cup of water all 3 sank, were gona put them in cups "pointy side up" in some fresh sanatized in the microwave for 20min foxfarm oganic soil,lol. Now he soaked the seed for 24hr, so the seed gets hydrated, i heard its not good to cover with plastic and soak for 24 hrs. Whats your thought on that ? also, ever hear of using a 1tsp bleech to 1gallon water mixture to soak seeds in for 30 min to clear fungus off seed layer ? We didnt do that, and im wondering if he should have..thanks

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
not sure. i never soak seeds before, or clean them with bleach etc. never had any problems..

it's not necessary!

my gut tells me to keep the plastic off the glass of water.

peace :)

GanjaGoon

So when planting, the emerging taproot is supposed to face up? I was on OG for several months before it shut down and read mostly the opposite advice...

Nomad

*toilet paper sheets
*petri dish (or shallow small bowl)
*mister
*celophane plastic wrap
*pencil
*rubber band
*heatpad
*sharpie
*masking tape

what i do is i use toilet-paper, say 2 sheets, and fold that into a small square, lay it flat and spray it with a few hits of water (dont make it soaking wet, just damp).. then place the seeds in the middle (seperate them of course), and then fold the TP up and shut the corners. Next, put them in a petri dish or something wide and shallow, with a cover... no cover? use some cellophane on the top (you can also use a rubber band to hold the plastic), poke a few breather holes, you can also spray the underside of the cellophane with water if you like.
Then all you do it place it somewhere warm, what i do is i use my computer desk drawer and place the petri dish inside the top drawer, and then i use my heatpad and place that on the lower drawer. You can do whatever you want, just as long as the petri dish and heatpad arent making contact directly (might cause your babies to dry up). In a few hours you will begin to see the humidity build up within the dish, this is a good sign of 100% seed germination.
Keep an eye on them, check them periodically, dont let the paper dry out, and dont overwet the paper towel either, make sure leftover water is out of the container and when your watering its best to take it out and mist it. and in about 48 hours you will begin to see roots popping out.. then all you need to do is unwrap the babies (carefully) and start transplanting!

Identification:
What i do is i put masking tape on the bottom of the petri, and I write out the names of each strain for each package with a sharpie. Masking tape is good because you can just peel it off when you're done.

Last edited:

minds_I

Veteran
I use the paper towel method myself but I put them inside a ziplock bag and put hem by my modem which is on always.

Buut what I can tell you is once the have prouted-give them a few days to develope the leaves and do not put htem under a hot bright light too early.

I sprouted six seeds-put them under CFL's-no fan-fried them at 78*F. A newbie mistake to be sure.

Also, they don't need to be too close during veg anyway.

IMHO
minds_I