What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New! Image Resizer - Control Image Size

Skip

Veteran
We now have a feature where users can control the maximum size of all images on the site. So if you have a low resolution monitor, you can set forum image height and/or width according to your needs.

So for instance, the max resolution allowed at this time is 1200 x 1200, which is too large for many people. So you can set your maximum at 800 x 800 or even less if you like. This will speed up the loading of pages for you and will better fit images on your screen so you don't need to scroll side to side.

Just go to User Menu/Edit Options and you will see this:
imageresizeoption.jpg

Please note: this has nothing to do with uploading images, only viewing them!

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Now THIS is double extra uber cool. Above and beyond the call of duty. Would that all posters limit their shots to 800x600 or less ... and now they DO whether they like it or not. Cool!

Thanks, Skip.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Skip said:
Also the more users that limit their image size, the better the performance of icmag.com for everyone. It will cut down on the bandwidth bill too!

Neat option for people with small screens.

I don't see how it will reduce bandwidth though, as it still appears to be loading the full-size image. With a click you can see the full-size image and it doesn't have to be loaded at that point.

That being the case, I don't see how it would improve icmag performance either, as it is still loading the same amount of data and giving the server more things to do as it has to add extra code to do the in-line resize.

Not complaining, I'm actually super impressed at the continual roll-out of new features, just seems like there may be some misconceptions about this one.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I wouldn't know about small screens but, it's great for large screens.

Skip

Veteran
Neat option for people with small screens.

I don't see how it will reduce bandwidth though, as it still appears to be loading the full-size image. With a click you can see the full-size image and it doesn't have to be loaded at that point.

That being the case, I don't see how it would improve icmag performance either, as it is still loading the same amount of data and giving the server more things to do as it has to add extra code to do the in-line resize.

Not complaining, I'm actually super impressed at the continual roll-out of new features, just seems like there may be some misconceptions about this one.
Yes, you are correct, it still downloads the entire image and you should be able to click on the reduced version to see it in all it's glory.

So it doesn't really affect the bandwidth, just the page layouts for those with smaller screens.

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
wow glad i found this thread....going straight to it now and change it..

now i can look at esbe's threads which i cant ATM cause of his BIG ASS pics not loading...even gone for a walk to let it load and it still dosnt lol...yes im talk'n to you esbe :D ...cool cool cool.HH. =]-~

H

Hazeseeker

nice 1 Skip:yes:, i couldn't figure out why my images (wide ones) were being re-sized even though they were within the size limits, just noticed this thread and fixed it now:joint:

P

Peat

Thanks Skip! :yes:

Now I don't have to scroll right to left & back...repeat...

Just to read the text. :D

===================================
All is better now!
Pages loading faster!
And no scrolling side to side!

3 Thumbs up!
:yes::yes::yes:

icmag just got lots easier for me!

Skip

Veteran
nice 1 Skip:yes:, i couldn't figure out why my images (wide ones) were being re-sized even though they were within the size limits, just noticed this thread and fixed it now:joint:

Yes, I've now set the default display to 800px width so that most ppl won't have a problem viewing images. So if you want to view higher resolutions of images you must go to MY IC/User Options and set a higher resolution for your viewing pleasure... ;0)

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
hope this isnt a silly question...i notice when i have set my pic size to very small that they still open to the normal size then to my chosen size...really this dosnt save the time it takes on dial up to load these pics...any chance at all that the pics can load to the chosen size to start of with?.HH. =]-~

I hope it's okay to come up with a question

if the album is in a state of:
"Private - Only visible to contacts and moderators"
Does this mean that if I put the picture on thread, only friends will see it, or it will be available to everyone on thread, and entry will be members-only to the album ?

Hey I'm having trouble posting picture attachments. I've resized to even the smallest size of 640x480 and file size is 31kb. I've tried jpg and bmp.

Yet it always says "Upload of file failed."

I'm not new to forums or attachments, so I've tried everything I know, yet I'm still at a loss.

Is there something up with the site?

Thanks