What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed In Bangladesh

Mr.Herbsman

Greetings all, i'm new to the forum but have been reading up on here for a while, great site! in particular i have enjoyed this section of the forum as i am interested in landrace and also cannabis travelling.

my next stop in the wolrd is bangladesh, although i am going for my sisters wedding i hope to find/ smoke some bangladeshi landrace.

my question is, where can i find cannabis to smoke?
does anyone know any fields around the country?
any other information would be great also.

many thanks

HERBSMAN.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Hi and welcome,
Im sure you should be able to locate some hash,and possibly even find weed, if you travel to the right parts.
My advice would be to be carefull of the Police,and whom you talk to about such matters.
best to ask some chilling type relatives when there.
ATB..Stay safe

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
I'd like to go there, but if so that would be mostly for the continent-wide famous ganja festival

Bangladesh: Pot extrava-ganza

Hasibur Rahman Bilu

The Daily Star, Bangladesh

Thursday 13 May 2004
---

It doesn't get any better for the marijuana lovers! Thousands of marijuana
or ganja lovers seeking spiritual ecstasy from across the country as well
as from India, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar and Pakistan have started pouring in
the 2,375 year-old Mahastangarh to celebrate a three-day ganja festival
beginning today.

The annual extravaganza, a crowd-puller, is held every last Thursday of the
Bangla month of Boishakh and draws both male and female pot connoisseurs
with plaited hair.

Not all the visitors smoke ganja at the festival, though, locals say. Most
of them go there to watch the ganja-lovers. The main festival is held for
one day, but it invariably stretches to three days.

In a tradition introduced more than 100 years ago by Hindu Sadhus (saints),
as many as three lakh ganja-lovers are likely to converge on the area
today. However, for the last three years they are having a hard time with
the festival in the wake of increased police resistance and leaving the
'organisers' to guesswork about the exact number of the ganja-lovers likely
to turn up at the site this year.

Local police said they will be in the hunt for them like the previous
years. "If we find anyone smoking ganja, we will arrest them. We have been
doing that for the last few years," said a police officer of Mahastangarh,
asking for anonymity.

Religious or racial differences hold no bar for these ganja-lovers who will
dance holding each other's hands after stuffing their lungs with marijuana
smoke.

Many come here with specially designed kalki or pot, which is part of the
tradition and the smokers will chain themselves to draw others' attention.

Those sit in shades with tridents will draw religious devotees who call
them 'Baba'. Devotees will seek blessings of the Baba and in return, give
them chickens and other homage.

"We have heard about this annual festival from our forefathers," said Abdul
Majid, a senior resident of Mahastangarh.

Local people have thrown up at least 5,000 makeshift shops to cash in on
this festival and other religious activities. Many have erected temporary
living quarters for the visitors on the archaeological site. Some of them
will be dismantled, but some will stay as part of a systematic process of
encroachment.

Mahastangarh draws huge visitors annually especially because of its
religious values. In its history of more than 2,000 years, different saints
of the Hindus, Buddha and Muslims have stayed in this city -- making it a
shrine of all religions of the region.

Hindus who come here for holy bath in the river Karatoa believe that Sheela
Devi, sister of a Hindu king in the 1300 AD, jumped in the Karatoa river
during a Muslim invasion and she swam under water for five miles in one
breath.

Muslim devotees come to this place to pay homage to Shah Sufi, a holy man
who stayed here nearly a thousand years ago.

The Buddhist devotees believe that great king Ashoka came here and built a
meditation ground, which remains to be unearthed, in homage of Goutam Buddha.

During April-May and December, hundreds of thousands of people of different
religions gather here as part of their religious activities.

And there are quite a few other religious festivals with lots & lots & lots of smoking

Irie !

Mr.Herbsman

just came back from a visit in bangladesh, was there for about 1 month with dissapointing views about the cannabis, i stayed in the capital city dhaka and could not find no green weed or hash just brown weed. many people i asked did not have a clue about "skunk" however they did refer to one type of cannabis as "raw" one, not sure what they meant. i have had hash in bangladesh before but this time it was not possible, the dealers said the political scene had become very bad and this had somehow effected the hashish trade in the city, perhaps it could be found in the villiage areas of the country? i had many varieties of brown weed on my trip, some nearly effectless and some very strong head high, one thing i found quite intresting was that none of the weed i smoked i had seeds and was much cleaner (less stems and twigs etc) than say the thai weed available in the uk. if anyone has information about cannabis in this region id be quite intrested to know

thanks for all previous replies.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Haven't been there, but from the small research I've done about the country, one has to hit on the religious festivals. There's that one I posted above, which is specifically about ganja and gathers people from all countries around (probably a great place to sample exceptionnal materials) and several others where smoking is a basis of the said festival.

Irie !

H

Hoover_lungz

In Dhaka you can get skunk but at a high price of £25 a 8th and thats expsensive for bangladesh, there is sum guys from USA/UK who have settled back home in Bangladesh and have also taken sum Dutch/US genetics back with them and have been growing Sun kissed skunk in the Bangladeshi hills.

If you head towards Musahri District you can find plenty of Nepalese hashisha n occasionally decent skunk looking buds.

Sylhet region has many Guirillla growers in the hills growing Aghani/pakistani/Indian strains but most of this weed is seeded. If you head towards Shazulal Durga shrine you will find rasta type Guru guys chilling under a tree smoking from a clay pipe, these rasta dudes always have the best weed and its usually imported from India without any seeds and is extremly sticky lime green skunk looking buds, this was the best weed we found while i was there in 96.

If you ever hear there is a Mela(Festival) going on there is certain to be sum stoner there with weed for sale:)

bushweed

Veteran
Why would anyone want to smoke skunk when you could smoke some authentic landrace bhang??? Brown or green who gives a fuck?? This is like being on a gourmet cooking forum and about to travel to Bangladesh, and all the respondents want to talk about is where you can buy a Big Mac :laughing: Fucken clazy man.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Definitely right bushweed ! It's nonsense chasing western smoke when you're in a country where some many genuine rarities might be waiting for you at the next corner.

Irie !

Mr.Herbsman

nicely said bushweed, however this is the case in many places now, i no for a fact that in jamaica there is a rising demand for dutch genetics, smokers there are more intrested in the cheese and haze's.

jah hoover - any pictures or reports of how the dutch genetics grew out in bangladesh?

thanks for all replies.

Gelado`

Veteran
The developing nations most assuredly have demand for hybrids driven by the west, while connoisseurs in the west are more interested in these nations' native landraces. The way things are going, Western cannasseurs may one day have to help reintroduce landraces to their native landscapes because of foreign law enforcement activity and genepool adulteration with Dutch genetics. :(

J

Johnny Redthumb

i understand the landrace arguement, and efforts should made to preserve local varieties. but genetic mixing is bound to happen with the migration of humans. what would italian food be without tomatos?

Gelado`

Veteran
Nothing wrong with mixing things up as long as the strains are preserved and kept separate. That's not going to happen easily with a plant like cannabis in a third world country, where one little male can fertilize for miles. Also Dutch genetics aren't likely to do well in a place like Bangladesh--you need pure sativas because the humidity and rainfall are seriously intense!

LoganKush

Greetings all, i'm new to the forum but have been reading up on here for a while, great site! in particular i have enjoyed this section of the forum as i am interested in landrace and also cannabis travelling.

my next stop in the wolrd is bangladesh, although i am going for my sisters wedding i hope to find/ smoke some bangladeshi landrace.

my question is, where can i find cannabis to smoke?
does anyone know any fields around the country?
any other information would be great also.

many thanks

HERBSMAN.

Great question. I also would like to find out what Bangladesh has to offer when it comes to cannabs strains. Surely the country is one good source of landrace strains as I have not encountered any claims yet that this or that strain originated from Bangladesh.:tiphat:

Gelado`

Veteran
Sativa-heavy...Bangladesh is supposed to mean 'land of bhang' I believe! Lots of traditional ritual use, especially among the Hindu community. I'm guessing not too many Western folk get out there for seed gathering expeditions...don't let Arjan know about B'desh. lol

abl12

Sativa-heavy...Bangladesh is supposed to mean 'land of bhang' I believe! Lots of traditional ritual use, especially among the Hindu community. I'm guessing not too many Western folk get out there for seed gathering expeditions...don't let Arjan know about B'desh. lol

The Arjan comment made me laugh :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I went to Dhaka in the 90's looking for legal Ganja shops like I found in Calcutta, they had just been all closed by the Government is what I found out. They wanted to comply with UN Single Drug Convention.
You could get lousy brown old squashed buds from various sources like the rickshaw pullers, but not very nice at all, I did grow the seeds in the west, not good, believe me.
Maybe there are nice varieties, maybe, but a great Cannabis comes from a productive Cannabis culture not one hiding in the shadows, I am still looking.
If I find any I will sequence the DNA and see what they are related to.
I wish I still had the seeds I collected back then, for the DNA project.
If anyone has any landrace seeds from these areas please contact me, hybrids I have no interest as they will not reveal the answers we are looking for, relatedness and evolution.
-SamS

It isnt un-natural but it is rare for a non hybrid landrace2 grow sensi-bud naturaly

It isnt un-natural but it is rare for a non hybrid landrace2 grow sensi-bud naturaly

Ahoy Herbman,

Just browsing your thread. Thought to drop you a line. Regarding the many varieties you got while in banghi, some heavy cerebral some just pure shit grass, but all being seedless, Ive begun noticing this trend in mainly the heavy cerebral strains around southern africa around 2004, my first experience with a rasta that explained to me what a cross was, he further explained why you wouldn't want a hybrid over a STABLE landrace or Stable landrace cross. He also schooled me on why then the foreseeable future would be full of polluted genetics (the future is now). I hadn't really digested the convo up until i woke up to seed banks and breeding and genetics in general. Now almost every strain that is sold around south africa is a cross of sorts, pure strains are rare or you end up with unstable hybrids.

If you would buy a parcel of lets say swazi in 2004, it would be 1/4 seeds!!! for weight addition so dealer can score, big fats seeds none the less and very very usable, come 2009 the bud itself changed in structure, more dense, intro of curing techniques after the normal dry and sell. The seeds in these packages are now light in color and very fragile. Cant compare them to pure land-race seed. They're prob half in size.

Good on you for allowing me to draw that reference. The current stock on markets here is Hybrid crosses x landraces, and they are super unstable. 90% of the time they herm and thats whats currently replaced the brown-weed varieties,

.......also, brown weed really does come in varieties some ice naturally in the sun, some dont show any signs of ice but the bud has red/orange inclined hueys on brown bud thats heavy head hi but none really with a full body or a lasting body around here, others are typical southern africa sativa ganja plants with a super depressing and almost no THC type hi, so if you've smoked CBD strains before, you could also make a wild assumption and say they are more high CBD inclined. Would love to run this DNA test on 4-5 odd strains from my area.

Great on you man, hope you get some cool eastern jets to set soon.

One Love :tiphat:

abl12

Hello I am from Bangladesh but currently live in North America the land of the mounties. So I am no stranger to good crop. I go back to the native country every year and have been acquiring the herb from one source from a long time. Recently I have acquired a second source both with two different kinds of strains or effects.

Source 1: Very few seeds one or two in the whole bag, seems like they separate the males. Buds are compressed because they way they are stored, handled & transported. This stuff is not pretty no visible thc glands. However the stone is good it is very indica like, the peak lasts 20 minutes at the most and leaves you with a very sedated feeling. Alot of my peers from back home alleged that this is laced, but i doubt it.. In terms of the stone this definetly feels more indica and smell is very chemically fuel lemon type, almost like a chemdawg.

Source 2 is a recent procurement, I heard from alot of people back in Dhaka raving about a strain named "Deshal". Desh means land or country and "al" may imply "from the " hence from the land or landrace. The bud structure on this was compressed, it was long spear type buds the buds were not dense and lots of seeds and small thin stems, there are no visible trichomes or any smell , it has no smell, realistically the buds look very immature and harvested early. It is brown and dark however the high which doesnt last long at all produces a very clearheaded calm high. This growers stuff has alot of seeds almost one third of the bag weight is seeds and stem by the time your done picking through it you barely have any herb. Thank the lord the herb is cheap back there. The deshal high feels very similar to the high one experiences from Mango Zamal, which is the only pure sativa ive tried..

I have been collecting and saving seeds from these two sources in hopes one day ill be able to grow them in their native environment using modern grow techniques. the quality of the herb is very bad in my country, the growers are most likely subsistence farmers who use very primitive technique. One good thing about Bangladesh is i believe the gene pool is untainted it has been preserved in its natural state since time.

Latest posts

Latest posts