What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Electricians, help with a hack.

webguy

Anyone know how i would wire a mechanical bathroom fan timer into the power wire of my vaporizer so i can turn the dial to 10 or 20 mins and it shuts it off? Theres 2 black wires on the fan timer, i guess ones hot and ones load, the power cord is a standard computer monitor power wire. Is it possible??? Thnx.

webguy

The outlet the vape is plugged into is like 6 feet away, the vape has a one hour timer that shuts it down but that has failed in the past and i think its from constant use and leaving it on so i wanted a 15 minute or so timer next to the unit i can dial up each use depending on how long i think i will be using it. I was gonna try opening the wire housing a few inches from the back of the unit and find the positive wire then cut it and attach the two timer switch wires inline of that cut positive wire. Sound right... anyone? :]

BudToaster

Veteran
did you try Amazon Prime search for outlet timer? about $12 with free prime shipping - i actually did that to see what i was talking about ... add a 30' extension cord if the house power outlet is out of reach.

webguy

I got a belkin piggyback outlet that shuts off in a half hour and a short extension cord to run from the overloaded powerstrip... i was trying to avoid extention cord on a power strip but what the hell its short and its only on 1/2 hour at a time, prolly safer than i was gonna try to do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
My SSV has been running 24/7 for many, many months, shut off only when going on vacation. I cant wait for it to get up to vape temps, I start 'surfin'' at 5am.. couplea hits every now and then all day..

BudToaster

Veteran
yeah, it's just that playing around with AC in your vape makes me queasy - and i'm an electrical engineer ... i prefer a battery powered vape - more power and safer.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
yeah, it's just that playing around with AC in your vape makes me queasy - and i'm an electrical engineer ... i prefer a battery powered vape - more power and safer.
I been using vapes for about 10 years, mostly SSV but 5 or 6 portables. I've not found a battery that's stronger than an AC driven vape. What portable are you using? safer? well, yes if you look to extremes and vape w AC in the shower then one deserves what they get..

BudToaster

Veteran
...I've not found a battery that's stronger than an AC driven vape. What portable are you using? safer? well, yes if you look to extremes and vape w AC in the shower then one deserves what they get..

my vape uses 2 26650 in series, capable of 70Amps at 6v, so 420 watts of power ... although it normally cruises at 3A ... LiFePO4 chemistry, A123Systems.

i'm using the Bud Toaster, aka The Herbal Cube ... home made, temperature control, all glass air/vapor path ...

the cube is 2" x 2" x 2":

picture.php

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
my vape uses 2 26650 in series, capable of 70Amps at 6v, so 420 watts of power ... although it normally cruises at 3A ... LiFePO4 chemistry, A123Systems.

i'm using the Bud Toaster, aka The Herbal Cube ... home made, temperature control, all glass air/vapor path ...

the cube is 2" x 2" x 2":

View Image

Sorry, thought you were talking portable as a portable..
Guess one could hook up a 'patch' to the car battery for a portable configuration while traveling..:biggrin:

Drewsif

Just get a different vape OP. The Extreme Q has a timer n all that.

The vent timer wouldn't likely be able to handle the surge of the heater, you'd need a relay. Actually I don't have a clue what a mechanical bathroom fan time is. But don't go splicing heaters into it.

Latest posts

Latest posts