What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Originally Posted by @hempy
Very nice Mac what would you say is your strongest Haze line or cross you have smoked to date.
well would say NHz... really strong and i'll like it... but the come down makes me tired... the rest is fantastic... that's why i'll crossed it with OHz... see if it's make it more pleasant... and maybe push even more the resin production...
thx
M.
tiphat.gif

Long flowering plants are what i and most go with.

JohnnyChicago

i've asked this a few times over the years but i still don't get it...

if there's other strains out there with soaring electric psychedelic feel good highs, is it really worth tracking down the rare o-haze seeds and taking them to frigging what? nearly 20 weeks?

or is it the hype?

i'm too broke to be trying everything, is o-haze seriously THE holy grail of sativa smoke?

In Original Seedsman OHaze all plants did carry the pleasant magic high.
But the longer flowering phenos were much more magical.
No Idea for ibl's or other Hazes lines that are around.

Hype?

I guess yes. As we don't see many mature OHaze plants around, other than MM's and few others. Good that he is showing something, as without him we would have all hype but zero pics and documentation.Only the Instagram Haze :)

OldCoolSativa

I grew golden tiger and it cant touch original haze. it is good as neville´s haze.. but level under Ohz as far as effect. and some 13 weekers(from cut) can beat any colombian 18weeker.. so no, you dont need 16week+ plants to get magic, that can be said only by someone who never grew Ohz.. typical arm chair haze expert OldCoolSativa

I don't think you understood what I wrote, but that's ok; everyone else did. Enjoy your 13 week Ohz plant that's better than any other plant, and I'll enjoy my inferior 20-week Colombians as I wallow in ignorance about all things Ohz. Good luck.

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Lol you guys are both wrong. OHaze and Columbian, are the same thing :D

I mean ohaze is a three way Columbian cross, but whatever comparing oranges to oranges and saying one is more round or orange, is a tough deal.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
for the haze lovers...

for the haze lovers...

hello,
here one of my fav's... soon ready...
just start again to shoot white pistils...
and still swelling... crazy haze... before it looks like nothing...
and @ the end it blows totally up...
she is noe around 4 weeks on clean water... but still want to go longer...
don't ask me how long... i'll don't count anymore ;-)
time is relative if you grow the ohhh-haze

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

much more OHz to come this year...
and a rar Punto Rojo & Col. Black... :hotbounce

M.:smoker:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Lol you guys are both wrong. OHaze and Columbian, are the same thing :D

I mean ohaze is a three way Columbian cross, but whatever comparing oranges to oranges and saying one is more round or orange, is a tough deal.

nobody denies they are relative, so theoretically yes. practically if you are able to cross some colombians and get something good as original haze, I will call you haze master LOL. I think that original haze was not created by some breeder, it was just freak that was created by flying pollen which hit some freaky plants, more luck and exception than anything. colombian hybrid and colombian are different things. original haze was grown in greenhouses, which plays its role in phenotype expression. it is not correct that colombian variety would grow same in highlands of Colombia and in greenhouse in Santa Cruz.. different phenotypes imo. old timer haze is also mix of colombians, yet it is quite different to original haze..

Raho

Veteran
nobody denies they are relative, so theoretically yes. practically if you are able to cross some colombians and get something good as original haze, I will call you haze master LOL. I think that original haze was not created by some breeder, it was just freak that was created by flying pollen which hit some freaky plants, more luck and exception than anything. colombian hybrid and colombian are different things. original haze was grown in greenhouses, which plays its role in phenotype expression. it is not correct that colombian variety would grow same in highlands of Colombia and in greenhouse in Santa Cruz.. different phenotypes imo. old timer haze is also mix of colombians, yet it is quite different to original haze..
I agree with both of you for the most part.

The P1 genetics that were used to create haze simply don't exist anymore in that original unhybridized state. The best of what remains in F8-F24 form have lost so much of the original genetics that it is much more likely that the best of each line has been lost than preserved, and that today's version of Colombians would be unrecognizable to Colombo growers from 1976.

Black market Colombian golds and reds (and other) threw amazing phenos when grown properly in the US and were quite distinct from each other. Back then, the only generic "colombian" was commercial brick weed. So when we call Haze "colombian, it is a convenient generalization for a line that came from a combination of diverse colombian strains.

It is another (probably incorrect) assumption that all of the Colombian magic from what was used to create haze still exists in the seeds Sam created in his preservation run. That may be true. It does not mean that what is on the market in seed form today contains all those possible phenos.

In all likelihood, the various dutch seed houses that sold commercial oHaze seeds did 1:1 matings. Nev used 2 males in his hybrids. Haze #19 was a specific female cut that we know got used in Europe a lot.
It is also quite possible that the oHaze seed that Sam sold to Seedsman could be a batch from a single or small number of females. He may tell us some day that it was a wide open pollination with hundreds of plants, but right now, enough people around the world have shown their Seedsman oHaze grows and reported very similar expressions, effects, potency, that it suggests the seed was not from large numbers of males and females.
As a matter of fact, there are almost no reports of the effects I associate with Colombian Red from the seedman gear.

The number of people on these boards that were actually around and smoked original colombians from 76-82 (or earlier) is very very small.

These days, when someone grows or smokes a "Colombian" line, the only way most of them know it is "Colombian" is because that is what they were told it was.
3 years from now, if they smoke another "Colombian" that is different from the one the smoked now, they will think it is fake because it's not the same, but they have no idea if their original sample was actually legit.

I point this out to highlight the absurdity of what we so often find ourselves doing with these old lines.
The war on drugs has destroyed so much of our ability to access history and validate claims that sometimes we just have to move forward with the creation of our own special things.

Whenever I find old timers sharing their memories online, I treasure the content as it often rings like a tuning fork with my own experiences.

My pet peeve is the "Thai leaning Haze" thing as my own experience with the obvious differences between them is so crystal clear that it used to drive me nuts :flowers2:
These days I am much better at letting other people believe what they want about their own experiences. I'm not there smoking their flowers, and I wasn't there when Sam packed up the seeds of made the crosses.

But for the most part, when Hashmasta-Kut says "Haze is Colombo" it makes me very happy :angelshug:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
FYI,
Burning Bush was an Original Haze with a strong Thai influence. I named it.
There were only Two Haze Brothers and they did not go to NYC and visit HT.
Joe Haze is not a Haze brother. The Haze Brothers did not grow Indica's, they grew Sativa's.
They did grow my Skunk #1 after 1980, because it was easier and faster for them.
-SamS (who was there)

With a strong Thai influence

Raho

Veteran
With a strong Thai influence

I don't post in your thread Hempy because you are too thick headed to see your own frequent errors and are incapable of learning. I appreciate you staying out of MY haze hybrid thread as well. You are not welcome there.

In this case you point out one example of a statement from Sam that he has contradicted specifically and repeatedly. He has contradicted himself many times over the years, but his most recent posts have clarified a lot.

Instead of pressing Sam for clarification, you pick the vague quote and throw it out in an attempt to disprove my position.

Sam's quote does not say what you think it does.
Other people pressed him for clarification afterwards and he repeated that Haze is made with Colombian genetics exclusively.

He did not explain what he meant when he said "Thai influence" but because any man with the logic capabilities of a 10 year old child can see the conflict, and that one of his statements is vague and the other specific, we can only assume that when he says "strong Thai influence" he means it as "Thai LIKE."

That Burning Bush was a "Thai LIKE" expression in Colombian plants.
Please do not reply to my posts Hempy. I have really enjoyed the luxury of ignoring you.

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I don't post in your thread Hempy because you are too thick headed to see your own frequent errors and are incapable of learning. I appreciate you staying out of MY haze hybrid thread as well. You are not welcome there.

In this case you point out one example of a statement from Sam that he has contradicted specifically and repeatedly. He has contradicted himself many times over the years, but his most recent posts have clarified a lot.

Instead of pressing Sam for clarification, you pick the vague quote and throw it out in an attempt to disprove my position.

Other people pressed him for clarification afterwards and he repeated that Haze is made with Colombian genetics exclusively.

He did not explain what he meant when he said "Thai influence" but because any man with the logic capabilities of a 10 year old child can see the conflict, and that one of his statements is vague and the other specific, we can only assume that when he says "strong Thai influence" he means it as "Thai LIKE."

Please do not reply to my posts Hempy. I have really enjoyed the luxury of ignoring you.

This is not your Thread Raho and try responding with out the insults Raho as it only makes you look bad.

What do you do for fun in your spare time Raho pull the wings off fly's ?.

A strong Thai influence means just that.

If you had ever smoked a real Colombian and real Thai you would of picked up both sides with in Haze.

I didn't post that quote Sam did and Burning bush was one of the early Haze.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am an old timer and smoked the seventies colombos, green red and gold. Only a bit of bit of them but it was enough. Mexican almost exclusively back then.

The three different Colombians all had that distinct incense taste and smell. It varied a bit between them but still it was there. Now, I smoke Original Haze, Colombian Gold '72 from Snow and USC, CG '80, Punto Rojo and maybe some I forgot. No incense taste or smell.

Not understanding that at all. I have some Mangobiche seeds to pop but am about out of Colombians to try for that old taste. I can do without that incense thing just curious about it? The '72 CG I have currently outdoes the CG I had in '79 in terms of high. That CG in '79 was legit and good quality. There is hope here.

Curing of the buds does not really answer the taste difference. I understand they cured things a bit different but still. Soil maybe? Panama Red was grown in red clay soil so that may explain why it was brick red and the Panama Red I grow is just slightly red from the pistils mostly.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

i read it the same as you do raho ,
im sure most that have been reading along what sam has said regarding haze also read it the same ,

our unlearned friend is commenting on nevils hazes which as has been tossed around may have thai in them ,
and he has not even smoked a pure one of those either , all hybrids .

he has also not smoked an original haze either ,
so im sure it would be hard for him to comment , but he still does because he loves to argue whether he is right or wrong ...

comprehension is learnt at school when we were young ,
i think hempys parents spoke another language and this made it hard for him to learn the english language as well as we were able to , including comprehension of course ...

what we can do is send bushy the time traveler back to check these things out for us though .. :D:D:D

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
i read it the same as you do raho ,
im sure most that have been reading along what sam has said regarding haze also read it the same ,

our unlearned friend is commenting on nevils hazes which as has been tossed around may have thai in them ,
and he has not even smoked a pure one of those either , all hybrids .

he has also not smoked an original haze either ,
so im sure it would be hard for him to comment , but he still does because he loves to argue whether he is right or wrong ...

i think hempys parents spoke another language and this made it hard for him to learn the english language as well as we were able to , including comprehension of course ...

what we can do is send bushy the time traveler back to check these things out for us though .. :D:D:D

A moderator stays neutral pulls people up for braking the sites rules and keeps things positive and as respectful.What a moderator dose not do is take sides in insulting members of the forum.

You be well advised to not bring up my parents or family in your bull shit Donald.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
im sorry , i can say what ever i like and comment on what ever i like also ,
i can state my opinion too and clear up anything that doesnt seem factual ,
and i do ...

please stick to the subject at hand and try not to deviate too much or bicker
or tell me what to do , im going fine without advice thanks ...

btw , nice flowers dr ,
i like how deep chunk hybrids turn out ,

you can always see her in the unions she is part of ...

kickarse

lol I love Haze, never smoked it pure, but it provides endless entertainment
Got a few Colombians here, should probably grow them one day

Aussie shit rules anyway:shark:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I am an old timer and smoked the seventies colombos, green red and gold. Only a bit of bit of them but it was enough. Mexican almost exclusively back then.

The three different Colombians all had that distinct incense taste and smell. It varied a bit between them but still it was there. Now, I smoke Original Haze, Colombian Gold '72 from Snow and USC, CG '80, Punto Rojo and maybe some I forgot. No incense taste or smell.

I just grew some Columbian x Durban x Columbian, very old school smells in there, and the look too. some look a lot like 70s Columbians, and smells too.

vanilla dutch

some haze.not original haze.just some haze.thats all.

these two just coat your mouth with haze and stinks up the air like a catholic church during mass.

Attachments

• 20200701_102655.jpg
    20200701_102655.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200706_095952_700.jpg
    IMG_20200706_095952_700.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 30

GlandualFever

In your attempt to bully Hempy you just exposed the racist prick that you are. Comprehension is low when one has parents that speak another language? Because what you wrote can easily be understood as such. I think you meant to say his parents did not speak English, but again, ignorant racist prick talk. I think Hempy is from the same part of the world that my family originate from. Are you by ethnic origin Australian? Didnt think so. So hows your Aboriginal Language skills?

In your attempt to flame Hempy, you disrespect any person with parents who arent native English speakers. Was that your aim? And just because you CAN say something doesnt mean your pea sized brain SHOULD let it leak from your gob!

Latest posts

Latest posts