What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Most Euphoric, Anti-Depressant Strains You've Tried?

Just curious as I suffer from depression & the Prozac only provides about a 10% improvement on a good day. For me, weed is a balancing act: too much THC & I'm anxious & stuck in negative thought loops for hours; too sedating & I lose all motivation & wanna go to sleep. I generally don't get good effects from anything with lemon terps for some reason. Everything else is fine though.

What strains have you tried that have provided the best mood lift? I'm talking euphoric, blissed out, happy, upbeat, make-you-wanna-smile-and-laugh type effects. A good balance of energy & relaxation.

I'm currently growing a Sour Diesel Auto but not sure if she's gonna make it to the finish line due to some suddenly yellow leaves/nitrogen problems. But it sounds like a strain that'd be good for me. (I don't have a ton of "strain" experience if you can't tell. Never lived in a recreational state or been in a dispensary). Just curious what you IC'ers think because I've seen some epic threads on obscure strains on this site. :dance013:

Brother Nature

Anything of African, Central American, and SE Asian Descent. Real Sativas. Could be different for a lot, but a good pure sativa does wonders for my depression, the hybrids just get me high. I prefer the ones who aren't overpowering in their effect for depressive episodes, I also love hash for that. I do enjoy the sedating ones for bedtime, but for the day I prefer the ones that simply make the day brighter and more interesting. Sativas are hard to grow, but so damn rewarding for the effort.

quiescent

Exercise - cardio especially
diet
vitamin D/sunlight daily for at least half an hour
setting/accomplishing goals - no matter how large or small (start small)
sleeping minimum 7 hours a day
positive self thought/foresight when some negativity creeps in
finding a new hobby you truly enjoy
talk therapy

These are things you should try before thinking a pill or weed is going to be the answer. You're trying to put a bandaid on a gunshot wound underwater with your current approach.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
diet
talk therapy

These are things you should try before thinking a pill or weed is going to be the answer. You're trying to put a bandaid on a gunshot wound underwater with your current approach.
This is the best strain advice ever, for depression and anxiety. :tiphat:

I've noticed the main difference between a paranoid reaction and a euphoric high is the user and their mental/physical health. No matter what strain you find which brings euphoria, it's always going to be significantly better when your brain and body are well adjusted. Self improvement is a worthy goal to pursue. :)

newbert

yeah i hate to be a stick in the mud and not go with the intended flow of the thread, but if its real depression weeds not gonna come close to handling it by itself. you need lifestyle changes like quiescent suggests above. get your heart up in healthy ways, try to find a social outlet like a group of friends or people who share interests/hobbies. stay busy, get healthy. if you cant even get to that by yourself, talk to a professional. if you have serious depression quite frankly weeds not gonna do shit.

newbert

if the prozacs not working, then its time to change the dose or change to a different medication. talk to your doctor.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
strains that jump to mind for me:

happy brother, Fugu kush, SFV kush or ghost og, power plant/durban, blueberry and bubba kush.

I'm trained in alternative health, officially a practising insured Naturopath and Herbalist and I would say well done to the other posters for their responsible and rounded approach.

There are many causes for depression, a great many actually come back to liver functioning or some genetic issue whereby neurotransmitters aren't meta/catabolised correctly and my best advice is not just seeing a doctor but also alternative practitioner such as myself, there are many amazing herbalists in amurica, having said that prozac actually is a very amazing drug, it should really be used in cancer treatment. The herbal alternative to achieve similar results is St.Johns wort and its mode of action is amazing in a similar way to prozac.

Herbal medicine is amazing but it comprises of about 200-300 plants in western herbalism not 1.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Actually I meant to say "alternative practitioner like myself" not such as myself. Anyway I genuinely hope you find a strain that works for you buddy :tiphat:

Satyros

When I look at the first bold-faced phrase, that's called: when everybody quits bothering me. Normal function of a healthy person.

Depression is the aftermath of a beat-down. One is "too many unpleasant experiences". If mom makes you go to bed without dinner one time, you get over it, but if it keeps happening, you don't. At some point in a repetitive beating, you lose hope for any change. We also do it to ourselves with muscular-skeletal misalignment, beating the body into reduced function: exercise can fix that, and a majority of things will follow accordingly.

Most "anti-depressant" pills were based on Valerian. That, and other herbs, can help a lot, and more simply, do so from within one "variety", usually called "officinalis". I'd agree that "The Herb" of cannabis varies greatly by setting and by the user's pre-disposition. I can fail to get much from it in a bad setting, and yet be lifted beyond the moon by leftover resin in the bottom of the bowl at other times.

So far, if I had to guess at genetics that seemed to go that way for me personally, it would be Nepali...I don't know exactly what it is...but it's usually not from the commercialized or hydroponic realm overall.

Happy Times

diet
talk therapy

Great tips here

For euphoric herb, Iron Cindy from KOS comes to mind

Infinite313

strains that jump to mind for me:

happy brother, Fugu kush, SFV kush or ghost og, power plant/durban, blueberry and bubba kush.

I'm trained in alternative health, officially a practising insured Naturopath and Herbalist and I would say well done to the other posters for their responsible and rounded approach.

There are many causes for depression, a great many actually come back to liver functioning or some genetic issue whereby neurotransmitters aren't meta/catabolised correctly and my best advice is not just seeing a doctor but also alternative practitioner such as myself, there are many amazing herbalists in amurica, having said that prozac actually is a very amazing drug, it should really be used in cancer treatment. The herbal alternative to achieve similar results is St.Johns wort and its mode of action is amazing in a similar way to prozac.

Herbal medicine is amazing but it comprises of about 200-300 plants in western herbalism not 1.

So you'e a naturopath and think Prozac is good?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
And you can't even spell check a 9 word sentence apparently.. But thanks for the question.

Okay well to start with there is nothing in Naturopathy that says we need to be closed minded dicks. Naturopathy means using all modalities within our power to help someone and actually I've put in well over 10,000 hours of research in journals which is what I base my amazement over the pharmacological action of prozac.

Now you used a loaded word there "good" as though I would rather people take prozac over not which I don't as it has various downsides and is wrongly prescribed a lot of the time, it's just bad medical practice as usual.. And as I said it should be used in some cancer therapy imo. However if it helps someone more than they feel it damages them then professionally I do not want to judge them or be too quick to change anything in someone whose system has become dependent on something exogenous maintaining their homeostasis.

I'm actually more a Herbalist than a Naturopath and I would like to point out that piperidine which is probably the most important structural part of "prozacs" chemical skeleton is found in high concentrations in Piper nigrum aka black pepper and various other herbs that we use so really it is not that foreign to us anyway. In various blends herbs with piperidine could combine to form complexes very similar to prozac.

I'd also like to point out that Naturopathy and Ayurveda (which I also trained in) is really a proactive approach to life and health and if someone has already made themselves dependant on a man made drug then I cannot really take them off it and have to simply do the best I can to help them, that said I have helped scores of people come off their drugs of various kinds with huge health benefits.

I didn't want to say this before but it's turning out that all people have cancerous growths from a very early age (in one study on over 2000 people 100% of 20-25 years olds dying accidentally were found to have cancers already) and one of the major causes of depression is an imbalance in your ability to detox the free radicals that are creating cancers.. So my implication is actually that prozac's ability to correct charge potential in the body and fight cancer might be it's mode of helping with depression.

My final point would be that in Amurica something like 50% of the population have been wrongly diagnosed drugs by an evil old world money petro-agri-pharma-military-financial complex pyramid of corporations that want the population there weak, confused, stupid and easy to lead so that they can dispatch with y'all as a world power, cough cough Trump.. but it's not the chemistry in prozacs fault if humans use it in a retarded way. As though all depression is caused by the same thing so just give everyone prozac, they still claim to not understand depression.

However this is now off topic and anyone wanting to peck my head more about their vague assumption of my values regarding allopathic medicine should PM me.

Last edited:

GoatCheese

Veteran
I recommend staying away from super potent, high THC varieties, especialy the kind with rushy effect (many Hazes/sativas, C99 etc.) and/or are mentally super vivid.
..and from the opposite spectrum the afghanis that have mongy lethargic heavy stone (NL5 etc).

Search the internet for smoke reports of various strains. There's plenty of reports out there on the more popular strains.

Sure mind & setting has alot to do with the effect of cannabis, but imo some types of weed will make you atleast somewhat anxious regardless of the state of your mind. = Because of my medical condition; nausea etc. rushy/edgy Hazes will always make me feel abit worse because of the effect, but the kind of weed that suit me will almost allways make me feel better. So it's not just a mental thing, it also has to do with the type of cannabis that suit you personally.

For smokes i recommend high CBD varieties, thou the type of effect still shines thru with these also, so you still need to find the ones that suit you personally. CBD rich indicas will still feel like indica and CBD rish sativas feel like sativas. CBD moderates the effect of THC but not the rest of the compounds of cannabis that shapes the effect.
High CBD weed has more clear and focused effect and the effect isn't so over powering as with super potent THC-only weed.

What ever type of cannabis you're using, i suggest you eat before you smoke because cannabis can have edgy effect if you're low on energy ..somewhat like a "sugar crash", you can get shaky esp. when smoking super potent THC-only weed. The effect will be more stable if you consume cannabis on full stomach.

So eat your brekkie before waking-and-baking!

-
-

If mental illnesses would be so easily solved just by changing nutrition, getting a hobby and more positive thinking, why then there are so many people in mental institutions???

These are good advices to getting better physical health, but these aren't a CURE for severe depression. Going to the gym and eating better didn't do much for me, but it sure sounds like a good advice everytime i hear it.

Some guys suggested finding a hobby or setting yourself goals to accomplish can work, but some people (like me) aren't very interested in things, so finding new hobbies can be quite difficult. World is an expensive place so many hobbies are out of reach if you don't have lot of money to spend. Ofcourse in general these are good advices, but it's abit more complicated than that.

But sure, depressed people should try to find more enjoyment out of life/living.

I think that trying to get to the "rhythm" of normal everyday living is a good thing. Try to accomplish that; If you're unemployed, try to find a job or education/classes that will help you find a job. Working will help you take your mind off things that bother you.
..and you'll get some money in your pocket so you can do things in this expencive world we live in. Take any job you can find, you don't have to enjoy it, it's a job. But even better if you can find a job you like.

I don't like anything all that much really work or hobbies etc, but i'm not spending my time thinking how much going to work sucks or how shitty i should feel cause i'm not interested in hobbies/activities like some people at YouTube seemingly are :). Every adult should try to carry their own weight around, so working is the necessary evil of life, and so on..

Get out of the house every day, atleast go shop for grossaries daily and take longer walks when going to store. People shouldn't do things if these don't feel natural to them, so if you don't wanna hit the gym then don't, but atleast you should get 30 mins of fresh air (almost) daily. Fresh air will brighten you up, noticeably more than the CO2 filled stale air at home.

If you don't like jogging, take bike rides, take walks in the woods/parks or around the town to see what's behind the next corner.

On positive thinking..

There has actually been studies written on how depressed people can get even more depressed when people tell them to be more positive. = if they can't do it, they may feel even bigger failures and many times this advice is given by people who don't suffer from depression all that much, and it's easier said than done, ay.

How do you fool yourself to be more positive? Every people in mental institutions just failed in "positive thinking"?? Give me a break.
You could also ask what's wrong with "happy people" in this world that is filled with wars and corruption and where rapists and pedophiles are in top echelon places of our world! How f-ing out of your minds you people are? ..too much positive thinking and not enough reality in your lives?

Anyway..
If you're not comfortable talking to people about your problems family/friends or professional people, then you should atleast try to deal with yourself on what's really bothering you and what are your abilities/possibilities of doing something about it. Some rational thinking.
..but also coming into terms with reality; that some things you can't change, might help. We can't change everything that life gave us but we can try to "let it go" if it tries to drag us down. We should try to accept certain things being beyond our possibility to change them. Sure you don't have to start liking those things but you can try to come in terms with them so that you can start taking your mind off of those things as much as possible.

I hope it gets better eventually
:)

GoatCheese

Veteran
Oh yea..
Like mentioned above, are you sure pharmasuitical drugs are good for you? I have tried some types of "happy pills" for my sleep disorders and usually those made me feel even worse mentally; some border line suicidal, thou i don't have suicidal mind in general.

If you feel pharma drugs are helping you, then fine. But also if you feel you could do with out them, then don't take them. They are poison.

beta

Veteran
Oh yea..
Like mentioned above, are you sure pharmasuitical drugs are good for you? I have tried some types of "happy pills" for my sleep disorders and usually those made me feel even worse mentally; some border line suicidal, thou i don't have suicidal mind in general.

If you feel pharma drugs are helping you, then fine. But also if you feel you could do with out them, then don't take them. They are poison.

Nobody should take medical advice from anyone who can't spell 'pharmaceutical' even with the assistance of modern spell checkers.