What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sensible "Boutique Cannabis Shop" Legislation: Discussion Thread

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
In the alcohol industry you have different legislation for micro breweries and the giants. A completely different level of licensing, a completely different level of investment money required.

I, and many of you around the world, would like to see sensible legislation in the cannabis industry regarding boutique cannabis shops. Mom and pop cannabis grows, and possibly shops as well.

The most obvious changes I see would be:

Significantly lower plant limits. Boutique grow numbers should top out at the minimum plant number for a commercial license. In Colorado this is 5,000 plants I think? So licensing would start in the hundreds for plant counts and go up to 5,000.
Significantly Less Oversight. The seed to sale program in Colorado is a stupendously overpriced system with a limited return in value. Not having to implement such ridiculous systems on small scale grows would significantly cut down on licensing costs.
Significantly Lower Licensing Fees. I'm sure there are other areas of legislation where fees can be cut, such as lowering the percentage of taxes generated to law enforcement and putting more of it toward the agency responsible for licensing.

What others can you think of?

I would like to see mom and pop grows supplying cannabis which has IPM that includes non-systemic treatments and ZERO spraying during flower. There are a lot of places on the planet which could use some truly clean and medicinal 'Top Shelf' products. :) (The smell in the Medicine-Man dispensary in Cortez, CO is disheartening. Gross smelling cannabis I want to protect people from. lol)

Is there any spot on the planet where Mom and Pop cannabis shops still exist? What legislation differences do they have vs. the large commercial operators?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"boutique" offerings from small family operations is the ideal, i agree. it was a long time after prohibition ended before you saw smaller outfits spring up, partly because of excessive regulations/fees / licensing etc. hopefully, after national legalization occurs, this will become reality. i'm not real optimistic in the short term, though. :moon: knuckle-dragging cretins will do everything they can to discourage small-scale/personal growing. just gotta fight through it...

green404

In the alcohol industry you have different legislation for micro breweries and the giants. A completely different level of licensing, a completely different level of investment money required.

It would be nice. The current regulations are so expensive, bloated and burdensome that only large players with big money and full time compliance mangers can play.

The reality is we are dealing with a plant.. and easy to grow plant that has basically no negative impact on the surround community.
Then we are also dealing with people who all want part of the money from this new micro economy so we get fees and regulations=corruption.

The biggest thing I can see that need to be regulated is that pesticides are being used responsibly and waste water is being disposed of accordingly. That would be a once a month visit and some product testing.

A level or “organic” would also be nice. No _____ pesticides, organic fertilizers, etc, ??? the “organic” debate usually gets crazy imo but someone has to do it.

X

xavier7995

I have been looking at an idea of getting a group of say 50-100 growers together to form sort of a growers coop. Would set it up as a corp and each person gets a share for their 50k or whatever investment, that would allow people to get in and out as they wish. In theory, spreading the fixed costs across a bunch of independent operators should allow them to grow small enough numbers that quality doesnt take a hit like when you have to scale to cover it all yourself. You could have a retail op attached where growers could sell direct to customers or using those pooled resources, you could specify what strain from what grower. Have trimmers on staff and extract makers. It is really about trying to keep people from having to go huge in order to get in the game.

soil margin

Veteran
I have been looking at an idea of getting a group of say 50-100 growers together to form sort of a growers coop. Would set it up as a corp and each person gets a share for their 50k or whatever investment, that would allow people to get in and out as they wish. In theory, spreading the fixed costs across a bunch of independent operators should allow them to grow small enough numbers that quality doesnt take a hit like when you have to scale to cover it all yourself. You could have a retail op attached where growers could sell direct to customers or using those pooled resources, you could specify what strain from what grower. Have trimmers on staff and extract makers. It is really about trying to keep people from having to go huge in order to get in the game.

Yeah this is an interesting idea. Lemme know when you're looking for members, I'd love to be part of a coop like that.