What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How far to keep sprouts away from LED?

New grower here. Have a 25 inch feit electric LED 19w from home depot with two tubes. I think I may be keeping my sprout too close. Its a week old and pretty small.

Attachments

• IMG_20180409_140319.jpg
    IMG_20180409_140319.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180409_140345.jpg
    IMG_20180409_140345.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 16
Patience, young padawan... :watchplant:

At this stage, don't be concerned with the speed of growth. Worry about achieving consistency in your environmental conditions, and just observe what the plant does. If you don't let the plant dictate the pace, it will always move too slowly for you.

And your distance is fine, that seedling could likely touch the bulb of a 19w LED and be ok.

Patience, young padawan... :watchplant:

At this stage, don't be concerned with the speed of growth. Worry about achieving consistency in your environmental conditions, and just observe what the plant does. If you don't let the plant dictate the pace, it will always move too slowly for you.

And your distance is fine, that seedling could likely touch the bulb of a 19w LED and be ok.

Very good advice. Some strains can take awhile to get through the seedling stage a week or 2 is nothing to be overly concerned about. Now if it looks the same a month or so from now you might have some issues lol.

CrossBones

The bigger concern I see is that the soil is pretty damp, encouraging problems, let it dry out and water very lightly, they don't use much at this stage. As mentioned above, concentrate on the environment, RH and Temp top of my list..

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I water them with droppers around that stage, teaspoons at a time. it could be why its going a lil slow other than the fact that its a week old seedling :) constant wet feet will stunt it and possibly kill it though, so use moderation. your in dirt so you have that buffer, coco dries out so fast its like playing a game keeping them in the zone.

Starting seeds in small foam cups with 100% perlite has never failed me. Just poke a hole 1" from the bottom and run them like mini hempys. Seeds and clones seem to love starting in the cups, never have dampening off issues and it's pretty much impossible to over water this way. Then after they root out just pinch the bottom of the cup off and transplant to pretty much any setup or medium.

Thanks everyone here for the replies. I wish I knew how to mark the post as having been found helpful, still kind of new to this forum.

My first plant, the 3 week old sprout is finally growing some non curled leaves. The youngest is now the biggest. The second oldest has dealt with much stress and has been transplanted with not much hope for its recovery. They're liking the borrowed t8 from work and the fan along with going out on the balcony for afternoon to sunset (direct light).

Can any mod turn this thread into a journal?

Attachments

• IMG_20180422_185220.jpg
    IMG_20180422_185220.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180423_040926.jpg
    IMG_20180423_040926.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180420_043457.jpg
    IMG_20180420_043457.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 18
Thanks everyone here for the replies. I wish I knew how to mark the post as having been found helpful, still kind of new to this forum.

My first plant, the 3 week old sprout is finally growing some non curled leaves. The youngest is now the biggest. The second oldest has dealt with much stress and has been transplanted with not much hope for its recovery. They're liking the borrowed t8 from work and the fan along with going out on the balcony for afternoon to sunset (direct light).

Can any mod turn this thread into a journal?

If you look at the bottom right of a post you'll see a message that says "did you find this post helpful?" Next to that click on yes if you want to rep somebody.

Not sure what soil you are using if it's too hot with nutes and too damp that could be causing issues seedlings don't like too much nutrients or water. Starting in pure perlite prevents those issues for me.

Even if a mod moves this thread to the grow diary forum you can't change the title of the thread as far as I know of. That combined with the fact this thread isn't too long yet you're probably better off starting a new thread in the grow diaries forum. Either way good luck man and we're here if you ever need help

Ideally you want to let a seedling's root mass fill the container it's in before you up-pot. One of the best ways to start plants is in 1 or 2" grid trays with a seedling mix with very little nutrients. You really shouldn't need to feed them anything for almost the first three weeks, and by that time you'll have nice square rooted plugs that you can then transplant into your larger pots and hotter medium. Transplanting a young plant with a weak root ball will increase the risk of killing it. Plus, if the roots are given too much room, the plant can stretch quickly and outgrow your space before you know it. The key with young plants is DON'T FUCK WITH IT. Just make sure you're letting it dry down a little in between watering, and let it do its thing.