What's new

Setup for starting seeds need help please

F

FreeUrMind

Hey icmag I am looking for the best setup for starting new seeds.

What light do I need

Do I need heated propagator

Many thanks in advance.

I will be using a small ebb & Flow table when big enough

You don,t need a heated prop and any house hold CFL,s will do the job for germinating and young seedlings, but if you want the best light, t5,s are a great piece of kit for early veg and germinating. IMO:)

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
For hydro, you need to start in small rockwool cubes. Lightly sandpaper the seeds, especially pointy end, then soak in water till they crack, or 2 days pass. Then carefully into rockwool hole, then gently cover with rockwool using toothpick or something similar. You want the rockwool wet, but not soaked. Some people swing the cube with their wrist, mildy whipping the excess water out. Then into covered container. Do not let them dry out, but also do not keep too wet. It may be good to practice with a couple of seeds that are not as important. I like to know the exact weight of rockwool cube that has right amount of water, to control things (I am control freak). CFL at a distance is all you need. T5's are for when they are a few inches tall.

F

FreeUrMind

For hydro, you need to start in small rockwool cubes. Lightly sandpaper the seeds, especially pointy end, then soak in water till they crack, or 2 days pass. Then carefully into rockwool hole, then gently cover with rockwool using toothpick or something similar. You want the rockwool wet, but not soaked. Some people swing the cube with their wrist, mildy whipping the excess water out. Then into covered container. Do not let them dry out, but also do not keep too wet. It may be good to practice with a couple of seeds that are not as important. I like to know the exact weight of rockwool cube that has right amount of water, to control things (I am control freak). CFL at a distance is all you need. T5's are for when they are a few inches tall.

Great post Loc Dog thanks for the info man.after killing a few packs of seeds
Thought I would get info on how to start right this time.i like the sand paper part
Peace:dance013:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Great post Loc Dog thanks for the info man.after killing a few packs of seeds
Thought I would get info on how to start right this time.i like the sand paper part
Peace:dance013:

The sand paper is to put some scratches in them, to weaken the shell in case it is tough.

I just went through the same thing. I have been growing clones for years, and forgot how to do seeds. i bought a bunch of seeds, tried to germinate all at once, and lost about 80% of them. Practice till you get it right.

F

FreeUrMind

I started 10 more seeds over 4 days ago so far 4 up other 6 are black I contacted the breeder but says give them a few more days...

Ive used my t5 light for years in veg and prop for clones and seedlings then just do kinda same as loc dog said but I use coco jiffy plugs always seemed work for

Deprivation

I do a 24 hour dunk then drop the seed into a peet pod, direct into coco or direct into hydroton in a net cup with water 1/3 of the way up.... Cover with a cutoff pop bottle.

clown baby

peat pellets are hands down the easiest.

just soak some pellets and toss the seeds in. no paper towel bullshit or other weird seed prep necessary.

Latest posts

Latest posts