What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vacuum Oven exhaust residual gas analyzer

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hee, hee,hee, starting to see some more interesting results from our joint R&D project with Cascade TEK to develop the optimum oven for our industry.

We've moved on to analyzing the exhaust gases to see not only what is coming out, but when.

Sure wish we had one full time, but Cascade TEK's engineers bring the $31K Mass Spectrometer with them for the tests, and take it with them when they leave, so we only get to play on the days they are available. It is almost like they don't trust cowboys with their instruments, snicker, snark, snort.....................

After three separate days of playing, some patterns seem to be forming that could ostensibly benefit brothers and sisters like my very own self, that can't afford a $31K analyzer for their oven.

One notable thing, is the amount of water coming off with the butane. Some of the big bubbles are water, and in greater quantities than I personally would have predicted. I lost sight of how much it concentrates, as the butane evaporates away.

Perhaps the most useful observation was that when you first flip a paddy, the initial rapid out gassing of the butane and water is greatest in its ratio to terpene loss. IE: Rapid butane and water exit, with slow steady terpene loss staying relative stable.

Terpene loss stays relatively steady once it starts, so if you flip the paddy every time the initial rapid out gassing starts to diminish, you can purge the butane and water out, while retaining more of the monoterpenes.

More to follow!

MEMED

was the initial outgassing time affected by patty size or did it stay consistant from slab to slab? Care to share a timespan? Minutes, hours? So, is this to imply that flipping regularly as opposed to just cooking on one side the whole time may be the key to more terp retention when trying to achieve a shatter consistency? I think i need to flip more often then..... thx gw

Chonkski

Hee, hee,hee, starting to see some more interesting results from our joint R&D project with Cascade TEK to develop the optimum oven for our industry.

We've moved on to analyzing the exhaust gases to see not only what is coming out, but when.

Sure wish we had one full time, but Cascade TEK's engineers bring the $31K Mass Spectrometer with them for the tests, and take it with them when they leave, so we only get to play on the days they are available. It is almost like they don't trust cowboys with their instruments, snicker, snark, snort.....................

After three separate days of playing, some patterns seem to be forming that could ostensibly benefit brothers and sisters like my very own self, that can't afford a $31K analyzer for their oven.

One notable thing, is the amount of water coming off with the butane. Some of the big bubbles are water, and in greater quantities than I personally would have predicted. I lost sight of how much it concentrates, as the butane evaporates away.

Perhaps the most useful observation was that when you first flip a paddy, the initial rapid out gassing of the butane and water is greatest in its ratio to terpene loss. IE: Rapid butane and water exit, with slow steady terpene loss staying relative stable.

Terpene loss stays relatively steady once it starts, so if you flip the paddy every time the initial rapid out gassing starts to diminish, you can purge the butane and water out, while retaining more of the monoterpenes.

More to follow!

This is so much reassurance to purge intuition!

I would dream to own an oven like this once upon a time.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Whats the MS your using?

Excellent question, they're not usually that expensive or portable. Something brand new? There should be a satisfactory and simple VOC/LEL detector available, as far as butane is concerned.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Attachments

• Inficon-1-1.jpg
    Inficon-1-1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 20
  • Residual gas analyzer-1-1.jpg
    Residual gas analyzer-1-1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 19
  • RGA screen-1-1.jpg
    RGA screen-1-1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 16

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
was the initial outgassing time affected by patty size or did it stay consistant from slab to slab? Care to share a timespan? Minutes, hours? So, is this to imply that flipping regularly as opposed to just cooking on one side the whole time may be the key to more terp retention when trying to achieve a shatter consistency? I think i need to flip more often then..... thx gw

Outgasing rates are different from paddy to paddy and for surface area and thickness.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spot on share GW, I'd like to hear the results for releasing the vac several times during a simple vac of 115F @ -29.5" Hg, or just pulling the vac and waiting for the bubbles to slow.

I'm still not flipping... ;-)))

dopecook

This looks like something we could make ourselves if we knew what those electronic parts were... Is this a prototype unit, or are these actually on the market for sale?

I'd buy one.

Very jealous. :)

Much respect.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This looks like something we could make ourselves if we knew what those electronic parts were... Is this a prototype unit, or are these actually on the market for sale?

I'd buy one.

Very jealous. :)

Much respect.

It was purchased off the shelf by Cascade TEK. I'll ask for more information and pass it on.

TE12000

Thank you for the info! I was just on their site today trying to figure out to purchase 2 tvo-2 or 1 tvo-5. The analyzer is where it is at!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We started running and cataloging the Terpene samples donated to us by Extractor Consultants Tuesday, but ran out of time, so Joe will finish them off.

Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort, suspicion's and rumors confirmed. b Myrcene fogs the mind and couch locks the body!

I simply took three or four heavy inhales from the bottle and experienced heavy sedation and mind fogging. Joe mixed some with extract and vaporized it, to get an even heavier effect.

JColtrane

We started running and cataloging the Terpene samples donated to us by Extractor Consultants Tuesday, but ran out of time, so Joe will finish them off.

Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort, suspicion's and rumors confirmed. b Myrcene fogs the mind and couch locks the body!

I simply took three or four heavy inhales from the bottle and experienced heavy sedation and mind fogging. Joe mixed some with extract and vaporized it, to get an even heavier effect.

Well of course it does brother ... just wait til I get time for my hops extractions. Thats were the mother load of b Myrcene is :tiphat:

cyphaman

Aright I figured this may never get to GrayWolf and since he deserves to know, (may already) Ill shed some light for those not up in Instagram yet.

DopeCooks a big oil processor out of Seattle I think, went from 96 hr purge time to 48 hours. He posted RST results from Analytical360 showing 60ppm 40ppm and 40ppm total residual (keep in mind ONLY BUTANE , no pentane, isopentane, isobutane, propane etc and he uses EcoGreen butane recommended by none other than ....GW himself)

So he says 'trying some new things' 'cut my purge time down to two days, hint: its nothing to do with temperature', I guessed surface area and was wrong, and then AllDankNugRuns mentioned this thread and how he thought this might be what DC was up to....Sure enough he was right.

Dopecooks confirmed this himself, so maybe this is old news im not sure but I thought if you didnt know already that this might brighten your day a bit. I also added that not only is he cutting his purge time down drastically, but hes also maximizing terps!

Cant say enough for what your knowledge and research does for this community

cyphaman

these are 200g slabs and they base purge times on residual solvent analysis so that the oil is as clean and high quality as possible for medical patients. so no I dont think they are nuts.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is a 266 gram slab mixed gas shatter run Joe did in the Cascade TEK test oven and we sampled while frolicking in the lab.

Attachments

• 266 gram slab-1-1.jpg
    266 gram slab-1-1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 18
  • 50-50 Propane run-1-1.jpg
    50-50 Propane run-1-1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 15