What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrients and Suppliments

G

Hello, I'm pretty new to hydro and was just looking to see what everyone here's using for nutes / suppliments for their hydro setups.

the system i purchased came with the GH line of nutes and i kinda planned on using those until they are gone, but would like to hear what you all have to say about whichever line of nutes you are using , and weather or not some of these bloom boosting suppliments are really worth picking up.

any bad experiences with any particular line of nutes?

any exceptional experiences with any particular line of nutes?

are they all reletively the same?

best value to get best results?

Thanks!

THCesar

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Hi, sure to get lots of answers to this one ;) However, my personal preference is Canna, used many other nutes over the years and none seemed to be as good as Canna, however, GH nutes was not available to me in NL, so I can't comment on that one, plus I never used it when in usa, so have no knowledge of GH.

Of the various nutes I have used over the years, Canna Veg A + B really is the best, IVHO, especially in Hydro. I have used Canna Flores A + B but also in conjuction with Pk 13-14% with no complaints....as a matter of fact, I got the most weight ever from an AK 47 crop whereby I used nothing but Canna and PK 13/14% BUT kept the enviro at it's optimum (ph, air and medium temps, etc.).

There's probably alot of good products out there, some will swear by one and some will swear by another, I think it's up to what performs for you best, thus giving the grower more confidence, thus you doing a better grow......etc. etc.

dg
For me it just happens to be Canna.

dg

krusty

THCeasar - i can honestly say i have tried most everything out there....most products i have tried dont even stay on market very long...only product i have ever seen stay on market and not come out with some "new additives" or "new formula" is HG' s flag ship....the 3 part micro/bloom/gro.....

GH has boosters out that also seem to work well BUT i warn you that some of there enhancing products will clog up inline filters.....but i ave seen some increase as far as yield...and with some of the enhancments i seen a change in color/taste

gh has self buffering in it...which is nice if your just getting into this...or if your a pro....the pros will tell you it is nice because you can judge how healthy the plants are with what the ph/ppm with GH products...and with GH products from clone to final flush there is no half strength or double strength......if you use too much you will burn the plant....if you use not enough the PH buffereint in the GH products will not work properly

me and a bunch of other growers can sit here and argue back and forth what is the best...but bottom line is this...NASA usses GH products on all there away missions......i would think these guys would only pick the best....hell i would have thought they would have made there own nutrients ....liek specialized for plants grown in non gravity enviroments....but...they dont...NASA usses General Hydroponics

peace

krusty

G

thanks for the responses guys. Nice to see that even the guys with more grows under their belts than i have dreamed of will take the time to answer some noob questions.

THC

TheIO

Advanced Nutrients is suppoest to rock, but i havent had the plesure to try it yet. It was designed specificly for cannabis.

G

canna is also cannabis specific,they also have one of the biggest research facilitires ih holland just for cannabis nutrient research,theyr the best for beginners and experts imo

BigPapa

I am using GH 3 part and have nocomplaints.It's my 1st stab at hydro,and I haven't screwed up too bad yet.As for additives,even with soil I used H2O2.I also use Fulvic Acid,which helps with nutrient uptake,and Silicate (Silicon,Silicone,lots of people call it different things)which helps your buds retain weight when drying and curing.Other than that,nuttin'.Good luck to ya,BigPapa

G

I'm using Pure Blend Pro Veg., Pure Blend Pro Flower, liquid Karma, Cal-Mag, Silica Blast, and Kool Bloom

In veg I use regular strength PBP and Liquid Karma and 1/3 strength Cal-Mag and Silica Blast

In flower I use full strength PBP, Liquid Karma, and Kool Bloom and only 1/3 strength Cal-Mag and Silica Blast.

I was trying to stay as organic as possible, I came close anyways.

I run about 650 to 1000ppm in veg and 1000 to 1600ppm in flower. Still tweakin it a little bit to get it dead on.

Everything is growing like weeds so to say. I love it and there are no ph problems it holds about 5.8 to 6.5 no problem.

Totally hands off

Tex Kid

G

haha, just took a look at my local shops website and see that they've just started stocking those Advanced nutes. By name I would guess that the "Sensi" line is for the weed..... lol. Think I would feel a bit uneasy bout just goin and pickin that one up :D

If it is specially designed for growin herb I might have to do some research into that tho, thanks for the tip and all the info guys. Just what I was looking for.

THC

G

The $700.00+ pricetag for the AN Sensi line floored me not the name.

Tex Kid

THCesar-

What Krusty sez.

I like one of those syringe type measuring devices. Follow the GH intructions (thanks Krusty & HGC) and ppm & ph will be fine. Very EZ. Results, impressive!

Heya Krusty,

Would love to hear more about the 'additives' you have tried that you have found favorable.

I feel I should be dumping more than GH 123 in my rez and would respect your feedback on da nutes.

Thx

SYK

krusty

well this is the one i found to add size and some extra arroma...

koolbloom...

here is a quote form there site..

"KoolBloom will enhnce the production of essential oils and fragrance in flowers, culinary and medicinal herbs by stressing the plants."

not sure how they are stressing plants....first time is een that quote:/

but....this stuff does work...

then there is this shit...

florilicious....its fucked up stuff...

it smells funny...looks uglee...kinda scarey to run thru the system...but it gives off wierd colors and it does increase size more so then the koolbloom....the small aspect i aint sure what to say because both products ehance the smell to the point it is almost unbearable...but that is also the strains my friends use too maybe..

here is a quote form the site again..

"Bloom Promotes maximum flower size and fruit swelling for heavier yields. Offers phenomenal flavor and bouquet upon harvest. Leads to stronger colors and improved overall appearance."

now....as i mentioned before i like to stretch the plants without stress....and this product is AWSUM for stretching with NO SIDE EFFECTS....not even sure if they made this to get the plants to stretch but it works awsumly...and for years i have tried different products to do this and finally found this one..

Formula 1 by GROTEK

it says it is 0-2-4 ...but it must have some sorta trace elements in it or something...but it works great with no side effects:p

well i know you guys get sick of me preaching about GH products....but i honestly have tried alot of other brands...

i have two other products i like to use...one is a foilage spray which i rarely use but if i realyl wanted to fuck arround i would use it....i forget the name of it...it also helps for stress too.....same as this vit b1 product...it works wlel for stress or transplanting...but agian i rarely use it with the bucket system:?

anyhoo

hope that helps you guys

peace

krusty

G

I started off with BC Techniflora products, I mixed exactly to their specs, I didnt know it but was burning the plants to cinders. Once I figured out what was happening, I mixed to half strength, then from there it was hit and miss as to dialing in.

It was about this time I got all addicted to KFB's and was following K's path on OG, and learned of GH. I use Florolisous,FloroMato,FloraMicro and KaBloom in flower (but not the amount they say @ 1/2 or 1/4 strength).

I did buy one additive for seedlings, clonies, and pre veg, it's Green Fuse or Green Fire Root Stimulator @ $160.00 a gallon, and it does explode the root system, it stinks like a dead fuckin snich when you open it, but DAMN it's awsome. Shit...I just started to use Flora Kleen WEEKLY(Krusty) as system maintinence. Good luck to all!!

I burnt the living crap out of my crop too with BC Technaflora.

When I went half strength it worked like it was supposed too, although as I slowly increased strength through flower like I was supposed to mild burn started again.

Next time I am going to switch to PBP.

Hippo

wat I use atm.

wat I use atm.

At the moment im using GH nutes and canna nutes.

Canna, Ive used Canna vega/flores in hydro for atleast 3 or 4 grows and found them to be really good. The ph buffers seem to work well and my ph stays between 5.8 and 6.2, never fluctuating above 6.2. I havent had any real issues with deficiencies, except for maybe adding the odd teaspoon of Epsom salts but i do this with all nutes as we all know cannabis likes magnesium a little more than ya average plant. (watever ya average plant maybe :) )

Gh are also very good too, the good thing about GH is there in 3 parts allowing u to add more of a specific ingrediant, eg: u got some yellowing due to N def, instead of the 321, u could try 421 and so on, 4 grow, 2 micro, 1 bloom. In saying that though, u really shouldnt get any deficiencies with GH but theres alwasy the exception.

TURBO nutes. Some other nutes i used once ( i borrowed them off a buddy cos i accidently run out of my own ) was called "turbo grow", it was a 2 part formula (a + b) i used them for a couple of weeks veg and they was absolutly great. Not used them since, he got em with some nft tray ( like a nft 604 tray/tank ) but not the same, and def not them power grow nutes u get with the 604's ect.., some australian hydro company i think?... just found out, they are called "Turbo tanks" and u can buy thre nutes on there own without the tray ect.., when i used them i got some of the fastest healthiest growth ive seen. Unfortunatly i didnt use the bloom but i def would as the grow was great. Think ill try them a another grow soon, the grow boost and bloom.

Ive used Ionic nutes in the past too, they are pretty good for a 1 part formula on the growth rates n stuff, however i found that the ph would never stay within range and rose upto ph 7 daily and i had to add alot of acid to lower it, much more than usual.
Formulex is a great nute for clones/seedlings just starting, very nice to plants :)

Superthrive is also a good addative for stress if used correctly, however some ppl tend to over do the superthrive and so dont see much benefit.

Nitrozyme is another good additive/foliar feed. I tend to just give my plants a good mist just once in veg to give em a good start n get some nutes in em, specially on plants just com outta the cloner with a little N deficiency, again alot seem to over do it with Nitrozyme too and can damage the leaves which isnt good if they are only small clones or seedlings with only 3 or 4 leaves.
Also good for established plants that are recovering from nute lockout or are N deficient for watever reason.

Superbud, ive used this a couple of times on the same strains for some kinda comparison, i honestly dont see theres any benefit other than a slightly higher yeild. If this is all it did i would be happy with it, however in ever crop i did with it (6 crops in all), the quality of the pot was lacking in regards to the aroma, the size of the trichomes were a helluvalot smaller, and imho i think the overall potency was reduced. know some ppl will disagree but thats just my experiance, i hear some ppl swear by it.

Budlink (or silicon in general), I never used silicon or budlink till i used Superbud, ive since used it on crops without SB and its great. Its stregthens plants no end and ive even managed to get crops with root rot and bugs to finish whereas they woulda been shit canned usually. I used budlink for a few crops but have since switched to a cheaper silicon and lower stregnths with equally good results (think something like 30-50ppm is optimal for silicon, seems to work well for me anyways. I must say that this stuff makes your plants look so healthy and this is no gimmic.

Canna PK13-14 (or any pk13-14) this stuff is the shit dewds, pumps them buds up great, i always follow canna's instructions and use it once 3 weeks before the chop, ive seen that other pk's have totally differant times to add it, well i found through experiance that canna's instructions are good.

Messenger, I bought some of this after seeing Reaper on OG recommend it, stinks pretty bad but its great for vegging plants, u really see a big differance if used on 1 plant in a system of a few, otherwise its hard to guage how well something works, heres a quote from a grow shop, its pretty much as it says here --> The protein triggers a plant's own natural defense response system by mimicking an attack from pests or stress. Messenger Plant Defense This triggering "immunizes" the plants from the actual event before it happens, while at the same time stimulating better growth. The result is healthier fruits, flowers, and vegetables that have improved yields, better quality flowers, and extended shelf life.
I use Clonex gel for clones, rockwool soaked in h20, h202, weak formulex, clones usually come out looking as good as they went in :)
Theres a few more ive tried but tbh, i cant remember all the bad ones.
Hope this helps some ppl a little maybe :)
Hippo